autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Carpet cleaning efficiency tips

Now that spring looks like it might finally be staying, starting to think about doing some carpet cleaning to reset the interiors in my car and the Mrs'. They're not in bad shape (despite having a 6yo, we don't trash them), but they're definitely due.

I'll confess, it's been a while since I've done a deep clean on auto carpet, so I was wondering what people do for a workflow to get good results while not taking a week to do it.

Equipment/chemicals on hand: I'll be working with your standard shop vac as well as a little Spot Bot carpet shampoo'r. I'm not looking to add a steamer or extractor at the moment as it's not in the budget (neither financial or time). I've also got your standard interior carpet brush. Chemical wise, I've got the Spot Bot cleaning solution, Griot's Interior Cleaner, a can of some old Malco Foaming upholstery cleaner, and a little bit of Optimum Power Clean. Was planning on picking up some Folex just for giggles since I remember folks having good experiences with it. (I also have some rugs to clean at the house if nothing else).

My main goal is freshening up the interior while being mindful of not adding too much moisture to the carpet in the process.

If memory serves, I think I used to: Spray the solution from the Spot Bot, agitate/scrub with the carpet brush, then vacuum/extract with the spot bot.

I'm probably overthinking this, but does this sound about right? Any secrets from folks doing low-tech carpet cleaning?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Carpet cleaning efficiency tips

Vacuum and agittate at the same time. Spend time here as the more dry dirt you pull out by agitation and vacuuming the less mess you will introduce when you bring the cleaning solution into the picture.

Chemical wise, balance is key. Pictured here is my trio of products. There are hundreds to choose from but the key is balancing the pH. Stay away from APC's as they can cause stains to set-in. I would say keep the cleaning pH in the 7-10 range and by balance, I mean use a rinse agent that is in the 3-4 pH range so as when rinsing the final product is a neutral 7 whereby the fibers will be the softest. This will also prevent any future wicking of dirt or re-activation of cleaners. Tornador's enzyme is pH neutral at 7 when mixed appropriately. It's available in small sizes like this and larger gallons. Works very well with or without the Tornador.

Apply the cleaning solution with a sprayer of some sort, agitate and let dwell then extract. The only solution in whatever you use as an extractor should be clean hot water and the rinse agent you choose. In both phases the key is not to use TOO MUCH water or moisture. You do not want to soak the padding, just clean the carpet fibers.

Immediately after completion, introduce a fan on high and dry the vehicle as soon as possible. Do not roll up the windows for 24hrs. Even if the carpet appears dry. I usually leave the fan go for a long while.

Hope all that helps.

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Carpet cleaning efficiency tips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Hope all that helps.
    Very much so! I really appreciate the scientific approach to cleaning carpets vs just spraying on an APC because that's what everyone does.

What would you recommend chemical wise if I'm not needing to do much for stain removal?

I'm definitely keen on using as little moisture as possible - I'm a tech by trade so I've seen the aftermath of too much moisture where you don't want it.

What do you like for agitating the carpet?

Thanks for your help!