autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Feeling overwhelmed

haha good luck caffeine! Thanks wknd! Definitely a good idea to keep it simple. Kind of what makes griots so appealing to me. The other option that is really appealing is chemical guys because they seem to be a bit more reasonable on their pricing, people love them as much as people seem to love griots, but they are slightly overwhelming when it comes to selection. Maybe Compound Polish and Wax Griots then the rest I can play around with Chemical Guys. Washes and such

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyAudi01 View Post
    haha good luck caffeine! Thanks wknd! Definitely a good idea to keep it simple. Kind of what makes griots so appealing to me. The other option that is really appealing is chemical guys because they seem to be a bit more reasonable on their pricing, people love them as much as people seem to love griots, but they are slightly overwhelming when it comes to selection. Maybe Compound Polish and Wax Griots then the rest I can play around with Chemical Guys. Washes and such
    Lean more towards Griots....even though the may seem pricey, their products are top shelf, and they stand behind them. Not bashing CG, but to me, they over-market their stuff, and they have way too many products that do essentially the same thing. The Griots BOSS system is very straightforward an easy to use.

3. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes 2black1s, PaulMys, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Lean more towards Griots....even though the may seem pricey, their products are top shelf, and they stand behind them. Not bashing CG, but to me, they over-market their stuff, and they have way too many products that do essentially the same thing. The Griots BOSS system is very straightforward an easy to use.
    I was just going to suggest the same thing... Instead I just "liked" the post.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard a lot of good about both companies. Being that I already have a g9 and a good bit of pads the griots products would certainly make sense to be a compliment to them. I do enjoy the simplicity. For regular washing a lot of people have enjoyed the CG citrus wash interior I've heard great things about Griots. I'll be buying small amounts of products at a time until I want to marry into any products. I appreciate the input certainly boosts my confidence in purchasing!

Mike Phillips

Just to chime in...

The topic about so many, or too many options or the confusion caused by all the products is a common topic.

I like to play Devil's Advocate - a few years ago - people complained because there were too FEW options. This includes not just products but also tools and pads. Now look where we're at.

Give the choice - I'd rather have too many choices than too few choices.

And for others that are new to detailing or coming back to detailing after some time away, here's a good primer video that covers a LOT of topics related to order of steps and correct techniques. This video shows the Porter Cable polisher but you could substitute ANY type or brand of orbital and all the information will still apply.

7. Thanks RowdyAudi01 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyAudi01 View Post

Maybe Compound Polish and Wax Griots then the rest I can play around with Chemical Guys. Washes and such

Most products in a reputable line will do whatever they are formulated to do. The key issue when choosing products is the products that use abrasive technology. This would include,

Compounds
    Polishes
    AIOs - Cleaner/Waxes - Cleaner/Sealants - Ceramic AIOs

Here's the deal. When it comes to abrasive technology - the abrasive technology either works or it's crap. There is no in-between. A product can either remove defects without leaving behind it's own set of new defects or it removes defects AND leaves it's own scratches behind.

Here's my article on this topic,

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

And for what it's worth - Griot's makes great abrasive technology. I show Griot's BOSS system in my detailing classes. I ONLY show products in my classes I would use on black cars or my own cars. If the products don't use good abrasive technology I won't use them and I won't show them.

Hope that helps...

9. Thanks RowdyAudi01 thanked for this post
    Likes bob m liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike thank you so much for responding here! I totally agree that too many options is better than not enough. It's great that most of the products have reviews as well and I really hope that people continue to post reviews after they use products to help many of us along with our decisions. Autogeek has been an awesome resource for me so far between the store and the forum. I'm pretty amped up to be the shiniest guy in town!

11. Likes Lance Mark, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I currently own 6 vehicles now after my dad passed. I also run my own detailing business. That said, I use the same products on everything. Pinnacle products are fantastic as are Blackfire. So pick a product and stick with it.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12