autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Compounds

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    Of the choices above, which would you choose to use on a 2017 Ram 1500.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Cutmax has no dusting out of all of them. So if that is something you prefer then that is the one to go with. It is a great compound.

The UltraCut is nice. CarPro did their homework on this one and got it right. Leagues above their clearcut compound.

I would do a test spot with what you have. In saying that I would upgrade your compound(s) to any of the ones I recommended.

You will not miss M105.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting Compounds

The Blackfire compound is really nice also. It finishes out really nice, long working time, no dusting, and very easy to use. The one drawback is it's a little expensive.

I've heard rave reviews about the Griots BOSS products as well and they are now in my garage. I hope to test them out on a car in about a month.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    You need to do a test spot with a pad and product. Start with the least aggressive polish and pad you have. Don't dive head-first in to the most aggressive thing you have on hand. You can easily create more work for yourself.
    I tried M85 and a orange foam pad. Swirls were reduced but not fully removed.

Post Thanks / Like

How aggressive do you want to be? What is your budget? Do you expect to be taking out scratches? Have you done a test spot on your vehicle to see if the paint is hard or soft? There are a load of questions to be answered to select just a dedicated compound or polish and pad. NSP150 is very aggressive, NSP95 is a medium abrasive, and NSP45 is a soft abrasive. 3D One is a great all-purpose compound that is a "smart abrasive" and can be used as a compound or polish.

If you are going to go straight for cutting only NSP150 or 3D ONE.
    I do not want to spend more than 30 dollars per bottle.
    I believe the clear coat is quite hard.
    I tried Meguiars M85 and a orange foam pad and some of the swirls and light scratches were lightened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cutmax has no dusting out of all of them. So if that is something you prefer then that is the one to go with. It is a great compound.

The UltraCut is nice. CarPro did their homework on this one and got it right. Leagues above their clearcut compound.

I would do a test spot with what you have. In saying that I would upgrade your compound(s) to any of the ones I recommended.

You will not miss M105.
    I did some research on Cutmax. Not familiar with Ultracut. I have some quality choices to decide on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your input. I am truly grateful to all of you Cutting Compounds

Post Thanks / Like

I tried M85 and a orange foam pad. Swirls were reduced but not fully removed.

An "orange foam pad" means nothing. Orange foam can be dense/hard, soft for polishing, or non-abrasive for wax/sealant. It depends on the manufacturer. Are you sure you are not micro-marring it with said orange pad and M85. Again, the most aggressive approach is not the key to correction. 90% of the vehicles I have done paint correction on this past year needed only a yellow polishing pad by Buff & Shine or a white Lake Country Force Hybrid pad and a light polish like NSP45, 3D One, or an AIO like Blackfire One Step.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I did some research on Cutmax. Not familiar with Ultracut. I have some quality choices to decide on.

UltraCut is new to the market from CarPro. I was sent a pre=production for testing and the production version is even better. Real nice finish from it.

CutMax is a great option and you can get a small bottle in it unlike M110. M110 is nice but it still dusts a tiny bit. I tend to use compounds that don't polish and that is why I tend to reach for Cutmax more often than the others.

Post Thanks / Like

An "orange foam pad" means nothing. Orange foam can be dense/hard, soft for polishing, or non-abrasive for wax/sealant. It depends on the manufacturer. Are you sure you are not micro-marring it with said orange pad and M85. Again, the most aggressive approach is not the key to correction. 90% of the vehicles I have done paint correction on this past year needed only a yellow polishing pad by Buff & Shine or a white Lake Country Force Hybrid pad and a light polish like NSP45, 3D One, or an AIO like Blackfire One Step.
    I saw no micro marring. The orange foam pad is not a soft foam. I will try to capture a photo of the paint issue.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is a scratch I will be dealing with.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast