autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taping off for polishing - Picking up glue

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    While this is true to some extent, there are times when it is prudent to tape an edge. Just for the record, I'm not a tape every edge/body line kind of guy. Only where I feel the risk warrants the effort.

Examples:
    - Misaligned body panels where one edge is higher than the other and opening/closing the panel will not provide the necessary relief. Front fender to door edge is a typical area where this occurs.
    - Textured plastic trim
    - Any area that I don't want to clean up polishing residue from
    I feel the same way. Also.... by having enough hours working with a particular tool and liquid, one generally would get a better understanding of what their capabilities and deficiencies are. That also holds true for our own detailing proficiency. I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.

2. Thanks dgage thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, 2black1s, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I feel the same way. Also.... by having enough hours working with a particular tool and liquid, one generally would get a better understanding of what their capabilities and deficiencies are. That also holds true for our own detailing proficiency. I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.
    Really like this sage wisdom. Towards the end it isn’t only my focus that is waning but also just wanting to get it done. Putting details early would be a boon for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I generally like to do all the edge work around the car with a small tool and pad first prior in bringing out the bigger pads to finish. My focus is always sharper in the beginning than at the end of a session so I use that to my advantage. Plus... this eliminate the need to switch polishers back and forth from panel to panel.

Totally makes sense and is akin to how you would tackle painting a room, for example ... cut in all the trim, etc. with a brush, then bring out the roller for the big stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

one thing I do, is I take a length of tape, 1, 2, 3 feet, whatever, and stick it to my CLEAN shirt. Pull it off, and on/off again 2 or 3 times.
    helps soften the stickiness of the tape.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12