autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Brand New Truck; Detailing prodecures

Hi everyone.
    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before but I figured instead of using the search feature of the website I would enjoy some good conversation with people like you!

I just got a brand new 2021 truck last week. It is white.

The paint seems like it needs no corrections as it is new. I don't see any swirl marks, etc.

I consider myself to be a top end beginner level maybe almost an intermediate level weekend warrior type of detailer. As far as tools, I own the Porter Cable DA polisher that everyone talks about on this website.

I have never did a paint coating or ceramic coating before. I'm thinking I may want to try one, but thought I'd get some recommendations from here.

So what are my 1st detailing steps for this new vehicle? I'm thinking a good wash and then a wax or a coating.

If I decide to go with my first ceramic coating ever, which one would you think is good for a 1st timer?

This truck is somewhat a daily driver, but I work from home, so I really don't go anywhere. The truck is stored outdoors.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brand New Truck; Detailing prodecures

Congrats on the new truck !!!!

As far as a coating that is easy to apply.... so many choices here.

CarPro CQUK
    BlackFire PRO
    Pinnacle Black Label
    GYEON Q2 Mohs

Spray on Coating.... 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating, GYEON Q2 CanCoat

Applying the coating is generally straight forward... its the prep that would determine your success.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new truck! im still holdin on to my 07 classic lol.

Im sure more seasoned folks will have better input, but me personally i would hit it with some iron remover(as long as truck is not very dirty to start with). then wash, shouldn't need to clay since its new but baggy test should tell ya (just for peace of mind). prep wipe, hit it with ceramic coating. I will coat every single future vehicle I own. It is defiantly worth it.

As far as brand, I cant say due only have done it twice and both times were bought from a local professional detail company. I try to support local companies if the products are good of course.

Spray on sio2 sealants are nice and next best thing to ceramic coatings IMO, but just don't have the longevity like coatings do.

Side note, dont know where ya live but if truck will ever see winter/road salt, i would undercoat it with fluid film.

Hope this helps ya

Post Thanks / Like

I ceramic coated my F150 one year ago and still going strong. Keep in mind that a truck takes 2x as long to prep and coat. The panels , the hood , the bed are definitely massive compared to my wife’ s IS 350. I used Wolfgang Profi coating, fairly easy to use. I let mine cure overnight in the garage, so hopefully you can keep it covered overnight.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Markymapo View Post
    I ceramic coated my F150 one year ago and still going strong. Keep in mind that a truck takes 2x as long to prep and coat. The panels , the hood , the bed are definitely massive compared to my wife’ s IS 350. I used Wolfgang Profi coating, fairly easy to use. I let mine cure overnight in the garage, so hopefully you can keep it covered overnight.
    Thanks. I should have you come over and help, LOL.

I'm literally 3 miles away from you.

6. Likes Markymapo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We will have to meet up (outside) once the weather breaks and have a chat. I actually have to coat my daughters SUV as soon as things warm up ( my senior citizen shoulders are aching just thinking about it, but less so than working on my Cobalt bow rider)
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of fluid film before and I live in Michigan. Can you explain in greater detail including process, expected cost for an average size car, who might install it etc? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sure thing. Fluid film is a brand,there are others out there but this is the best and cheapest imo. It is made of lanolin oil. It won't drip anywhere like one might think, when hearing word oil lol. But it works great because it never actually hardens. Some other undercoatings will harden overtime and when cracks in the undercoating occurs, salt/water will get in the cracks and the rusting begins.

Fluid film is around $30ish a gallon. A gallon will do a half ton pickup no problem, and thats when using it generiously. Look online for an undercoating gun. Must use that type, don't try a paint gun. Will need compressed air. I paid $30 for my gun, but you can buy ones for upwards of $90 or more that come with different hose lengths to better get in crevasses.

Once ya have that, then prep under vehicle by a good hosing, get in the fender wells,pull the taillights and get it in the bedsides, cab corners, frame. Make sure excess salt and debris is gone. Then after it drys spray undercoating pretty much everywhere i just mention to clean except on motor, transmission, exhaust brakes and rotors.

There are shops that do it but they want hundreds of dollars. Much cheaper to do it at home if you have the means to. Plus ya know its done good. Hope that help ya bud

I can try and find you a link or two if you would like.

10. Thanks Willbeen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've yet to encounter a new car that doesn't benefit from being polished. I've seen Aston Martins come with factory wrapping still on that needed it. You said it's white and if you haven't done a ton of paint correction you may not know all the tricks you need to do to find imperfections in white paint. My brother has taken the white TSX I gave him through brush car washes over the last 2 years and I can't see swirls on it very easily unless I'm parked in a Walmart at night and get a light source from far away like a tall light pole. White just sucks if you're actually trying to show that you did a lot of work polishing it. You can't monitor your progress as easily and it doesn't get deep reflections except in specific lighting. My suggestion would be to drive it at night and park in a parking lot like I described with a light source that's high up. There's a few posts on here if you search that talk about getting your light angled and looking at the paint from an angle to see it too, but I find that's something you gotta learn where as anyone can drive to Walmart at night.
    Anyway, if you don't want to see the imperfections that may actually be there (and I think that's reasonable), I'd still highly suggest polishing it once over with a polishing pad (i.e. LC white or an equivalent) and a low abrasive polish. Best option is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish because you can get it locally, it's cheap, it's easy to work with, and it's low dust. Otherwise, use whatever else you have that's similar. By doing this, you'll be removing marring on the paint after claying the car. You have to clay the car before you coat and deconning white paint is probably the biggest thing you can do to improve white paint. Unfortunately, claying the car marrs the paint and there's no way around it.

In terms of coatings, there's a ton out there and I really don't think any of our suggestions will actually make a huge difference because of how good everything is now. I'm personally going to have a hard time using anything that's not CQuartz because it's always lasted at least 2.5 years and I think it looks great. Optimum's coatings are super easy to use but I hate the company almost as much as I hate Chemical Guys. Everything else everyone listed is good too.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Well, I've yet to encounter a new car that doesn't benefit from being polished. I've seen Aston Martins come with factory wrapping still on that needed it. You said it's white and if you haven't done a ton of paint correction you may not know all the tricks you need to do to find imperfections in white paint. My brother has taken the white TSX I gave him through brush car washes over the last 2 years and I can't see swirls on it very easily unless I'm parked in a Walmart at night and get a light source from far away like a tall light pole. White just sucks if you're actually trying to show that you did a lot of work polishing it. You can't monitor your progress as easily and it doesn't get deep reflections except in specific lighting. My suggestion would be to drive it at night and park in a parking lot like I described with a light source that's high up. There's a few posts on here if you search that talk about getting your light angled and looking at the paint from an angle to see it too, but I find that's something you gotta learn where as anyone can drive to Walmart at night.
    Anyway, if you don't want to see the imperfections that may actually be there (and I think that's reasonable), I'd still highly suggest polishing it once over with a polishing pad (i.e. LC white or an equivalent) and a low abrasive polish. Best option is Meguiar's Ultimate Polish because you can get it locally, it's cheap, it's easy to work with, and it's low dust. Otherwise, use whatever else you have that's similar. By doing this, you'll be removing marring on the paint after claying the car. You have to clay the car before you coat and deconning white paint is probably the biggest thing you can do to improve white paint. Unfortunately, claying the car marrs the paint and there's no way around it.

In terms of coatings, there's a ton out there and I really don't think any of our suggestions will actually make a huge difference because of how good everything is now. I'm personally going to have a hard time using anything that's not CQuartz because it's always lasted at least 2.5 years and I think it looks great. Optimum's coatings are super easy to use but I hate the company almost as much as I hate Chemical Guys. Everything else everyone listed is good too.
    Thanks for the great answer.

I actually have some Ultra Polish laying around from last year. I think I'll use it up. Funny I may also have an LC white pad in the garage too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast