autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Prep for sacrificial coat

Hi All

First post here.

I have a two year old black Honda that was professionally ceramic coated (Titan) last year and I want to top up with something like PA high gloss or cosmic spritz.
    I wash using ONR single bucket-no rinse as I don't have access to a pressure washer. ONR does a great job but doesn't remove all water spots.
    I would appreciate if someone could answer the following questions.

Can I top with high gloss, cosmic or similar after ONR wash as it does seem to leave a slickness/residue?
    If I use a water spot remover will that affect the topper?
    If I use a panel wipe will it affect the topper or the ceramic coat?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Prep for sacrificial coat

welcome to the forum...

I am not familiar with Titan ceramic coating but in general... most coating companies would have topper products for their line of coatings. The synergy between their line of products is a fail-safe way of ensuring durability and performance.

Having said all that... water spotting is the achilles heel of virtually all ceramic coatings. Catch it early and its very easy to remove. leave it on the vehicle for too long under the hot sun...it can edge the coating. A super fine or a jeweling polish with a DA would make quick work of them without removing the coating itself. I personally dont use water spot remover as I advocate getting to it sooner before it becomes a problem.

To your questions... The ONR residue you are referring to is a feature of the product. It was designed as such that your next ONR wash would be even more efficient and effective. I would recommend using a panel wipe prior to installing a new topper of your choice. The panel wipe would not hurt the coating once harden and cured. For High Gloss and Cosmic, I would recommend using Polish Angels version of the panel wipe ( primer spritz). Again... its a synergy thing.

3. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
    Likes barry2021 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A water spot remover like CarPro spotless or Kamikaze’s waterspot remover should be fine. Don’t know how effective it would be on old spots but those two are made for coatings

I would not recommend any polish even light especially with a DA

I’ve removed CarPro 3.0 and a gyeon coating by hand with Essence and a polishing pad.

I would also wipe with a panel wipe after ONR but before polish angel.

A few here have tried and been disappointed with Primer Spritz (artbalfour, budgetplan1) seem to actually lessen length of durability on Cosmic spritz.

I personally don’t care for synergy and found for me just buying what I believe is “best in class” and use that.

I have used Eraser (my fave), Gyeon prep and even ISP mix with no i’ll effects on Cosmic Spritz.

Cosmic only after about a month and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
    Likes barry2021, Rsurfer liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, I certainly would not apply any polish with a DA or by hand.

I can find Carpro or Gtechnic products locally. it. I am looking for something that will give a deep gloss on black pearl paint. I would be happy with 3 or 4 months of protection as the weather here is usually terrible and I get lots of road grime, water spots etc on the vehicle, so it will need a good regular clean and top up.

Titan is a fairly new UK brand,Titan Coatings, that gets very good reviews. They have a maintenance coat called Ultra but it is hard to find reviews about it.

So would my process be ONR-clay-rinse-water spot remover-rinse-PW-coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barry2021 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, I certainly would not apply any polish with a DA or by hand.

I can find Carpro or Gtechnic products locally. it. I am looking for something that will give a deep gloss on black pearl paint. I would be happy with 3 or 4 months of protection as the weather here is usually terrible and I get lots of road grime, water spots etc on the vehicle, so it will need a good regular clean and top up.

Titan is a fairly new UK brand,Titan Coatings, that gets very good reviews. They have a maintenance coat called Ultra but it is hard to find reviews about it.

So would my process be ONR-clay-rinse-water spot remover-rinse-PW-coating?
    I would prep wipe after final rinse. Also if claying a coating I would only attempt with pinnacle ultrafine clay or 22ple clay.

I might also spray down with an iron remover. Dr Beasley has a spray and wipe product or can use Iron X type product before ONR.

8. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I would prep wipe after final rinse. Also if claying a coating I would only attempt with pinnacle ultrafine clay or 22ple clay.

I might also spray down with an iron remover. Dr Beasley has a spray and wipe product or can use Iron X type product before ONR.

Yeah I have Bilt Hamber Korossol which I will use before ONR. I will skip the clay if the finish is smooth.

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for reopening this thread.

Followed the above advice and applied PA high gloss which looks amazing but it does not last as long as I had hoped.
    Weather here is awful with lots of rain and add to that road grime, tree sap etc
    I don't believe Bilthamber Korosol, ONR wash, Carpro spotless, and Carpro eraser prep is enough.

Vehicle has some light scratches so I was thinking of applying Carpro essence plus and white gloss pad.
    I don't have a DA so would need to use a cordless 3.5 polisher (yes I know it will take me ages ..lol).

Could using this setup cause holograms on black coated car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barry2021 View Post
    Sorry for reopening this thread.

Followed the above advice and applied PA high gloss which looks amazing but it does not last as long as I had hoped.
    Weather here is awful with lots of rain and add to that road grime, tree sap etc
    I don't believe Bilthamber Korosol, ONR wash, Carpro spotless, and Carpro eraser prep is enough.

Vehicle has some light scratches so I was thinking of applying Carpro essence plus and white gloss pad.
    I don't have a DA so would need to use a cordless 3.5 polisher (yes I know it will take me ages ..lol).

Could using this setup cause holograms on black coated car?
    Yeah durability ain’t it’s strong suite. I use it 9 months out of the year but not winter.

Not sure on the polisher… what kind is it? Essence plus might get rid of scratches but would remove any protection.

13. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Essence plus might get rid of scratches but would remove any protection.

Correct me if im wrong because ive never used it but i thought essence plus had no abrasives in it..and will leave some protection behind as to revitailize a coatin thats at the end of its life??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Correct me if im wrong because ive never used it but i thought essence plus had no abrasives in it..and will leave some protection behind as to revitailize a coatin thats at the end of its life??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Your right i was read Essence. I’ve never seen a favorable review on Essence plus but haven’t really looked. It also says can be used as standalone but ideo I saw wasn’t great.

If i were to polish whole car with that I would rather polish off. Same work and can then recoat.

17. Thanks barry2021 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast