autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

(AUS) New car, looking for tips on keeping clean :)

Hi all,

Been some years since I've detailed a car, so much of it I've forgotten, but mum has recently gotten a new car (Hyundai Tuscon), so I'm looking to get back into it to help keep it maintained.

It's since got some dirt/bugs on the body, and a little dirt on the plastics under the bonnet; I was considering maybe doing a coating, though never done it before, is there a ceramic (or other) that's user friendly? or should I stick with a sealant ?

I've used (and should still have) some '303 Aerospace' spray for the plastics, and I've also got some concentrated '3D Orange Degreaser' that I dilute for interior cleaning. I don't think I have any wax/sealant, but I have used '3D POXY' on the last car I did before selling... that seemed to be a popular choice.
    I should also have some 'Autoglym Bodywork Shampoo', which seems ok. I used that with 2x bucket and MF wash mitt.

Overall I'd say I'm looking to start from the beginning, but wanted some feedback on suggestions on what to get ?

Regarding plastics, there seems to be a fair bit in the engine bay. one section articular I don't know if it's a different plastic or just textured to look pretty. Anyone familiar with it and know if it's generally safe with 303 Aerospace ?

(AUS) New car, looking for tips on keeping clean :)-lwxffos-jpg
    (AUS) New car, looking for tips on keeping clean :)-mwnwlha-jpg
    (AUS) New car, looking for tips on keeping clean :)-rszaei3-jpg

Thanks in advance

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (AUS) New car, looking for tips on keeping clean :)

For a daily driver I recommend a OSP. The car will get dirty and collect small scratches. I find twice to three times a year keeps my daily driver looking great. I've often had to clay the first time I wax. After that it's unusual for me to have to do anything other than a quick wax with a good orbital and OSP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaillotJaune View Post
    For a daily driver I recommend a OSP. The car will get dirty and collect small scratches. I find twice to three times a year keeps my daily driver looking great. I've often had to clay the first time I wax. After that it's unusual for me to have to do anything other than a quick wax with a good orbital and OSP.
    What is OSP?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What is OSP?
    One Step Product. A product that includes a light cleaning/polishing action and a wax (synthetic sealant). I've been using Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0. There are others. I use my Porter Cable 7424XP and a green Lake Country pad to apply it. Year after year I've been happy with the results.

I do not use ceramic coating for my daily drivers because I believe they need a good cleaning 2-4 times a year. This removes road grime and polishes out small scratches. I am waxing with enough frequency to keep my dd's shiny with the slick feel I like when I wash them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaillotJaune View Post
    I do not use ceramic coating for my daily drivers because I believe they need a good cleaning 2-4 times a year. This removes road grime and polishes out small scratches.
    I don't find this to be true at all and I've been using coatings for years.

From my perspective, a coating is the perfect solution for a daily driver. Here's a brief list of reasons why I use them.

- Makes taking care of the car easy. I do a full detailing of the coated vehicle once every 18~24 months. I'm no longer having to polish out and re-apply a sealant every six months. All I do is keep on top of the washings and keeping the car clean. That's it; very low maintenance.

- My coated vehicles don't get dirty as fast as a car with sealant. Pollen and dust don't cling to the surface of a car like it does on on a wax or sealant. A long rain soft shower or quick downpour will both rinse everything off and almost leave you with a clean car if it is only mildly dusty or pollen covered. Snow is even easier to remove if conditions are right. If there is even a hit of melting on the surface of the car, the snow will slip right off the surface.

- Regular maintenance is much easier. Road grime, dust, pollen, tar splatters, etc don't cling to the surface and wash off almost effortlessly. Bug splatters also don't stick as bad and are much easier to remove and the coatings seem to prevent chemical etching from those bug guts as well. All I really do with my coated cars is keep them clean. No real need for toppers, boosters, etc unless you want to play around with those products.

If you want to dip your toes in the world of coatings, trying something like CanCoat or CQuartz Lite is probably the way to go, They should give you 6+ months of hassle free protection. If you're happy with that, then you can jump right in to the "prosumer" coatings like CQuartz UK or others in the same class which offer multi-year protection.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

6. Likes bob m liked this post