autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to tell if ceramic coating is failing (regular toppers)

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Gasp! Say it ain’t so, Joe.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How to tell if ceramic coating is failing (regular toppers) Well, sometimes things don't go as planned...

2. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That thread title cracks me up every time I see it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    :lol: A year or 2 ago, perhaps but I'm getting to the point where personal cars won't need anything for a while. 2 are (will be) PPF'd, wife's daily was done in 2019 (coating) and with how little that car drives, 3 more years is likely. And my daily might not be able to take any more; since I got in in June of 2017 it's had 22ple for 2 months, Kamikaze for 2 years, SPS Graphene for 1 year, PA Primer + Cosmic Spritz for 3 months and now is half Kamikaze, half Ethos Graphene. Might respray the hood this Summer though as there ain't enough Dr Colorchip on the planet to fix what's happened to it over the last 65k miles.

As long as the hood is such a mess, really have no interest in the car as far as coating it w/ something else goes...it's now essentially a 'transportational screwdriver'...a mere tool/utility item.
    Pull a total 360 from coatings and start giving AIO's a try. It's kind of carefree when you can buzz around the car in an hour or two and say "cool, good enough"

6. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Pull a total 360 from coatings and start giving AIO's a try. It's kind of carefree when you can buzz around the car in an hour or two and say "cool, good enough"

I think I'm too lazy for that. I like the "1 and done" process where once I get it done, really don't have to mess with it again for a few years barring any unfortunate incidents.. Heck, I really don't even like washing cars anymore. It's probably why I'm starting to like PPF more and more...a somewhat significant investment so you're kinda locked in for the long haul and don't wanna muck around w it too much.

8. Likes Bruno Soares, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think I'm too lazy for that. I like the "1 and done" process where once I get it done, really don't have to mess with it again for a few years barring any unfortunate incidents.. Heck, I really don't even like washing cars anymore. It's probably why I'm starting to like PPF more and more...a somewhat significant investment so you're kinda locked in for the long haul and don't wanna muck around w it too much.
    I'm at a similar point. I actually don't mind washing our vehicles, but I really don't want to break out the polisher and have to re-do the car every couple months or so when the AIO wears out. Going 18~24 months between polishing is rather nice.

My other issue with the AIO's is their durability. Due to winter conditions, I need the ability for our vehicles to go at least six months between LSP applications. That length of time is right on the edge for most traditional sealants and way beyond any AIO I've tried. Continuous topping AIO's with a spray is not an option due to weather as well.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Due to winter conditions, I need the ability for our vehicles to go at least six months between LSP applications. That length of time is right on the edge for most traditional sealants and way beyond any AIO I've tried. Continuous topping AIO's with a spray is not an option due to weather as well.
    I need an LSP that'll go 6 months without washing. My threshold for washing is "never below 55 degrees F"...too old for that nonsense!

12. Likes Desertnate, Coatingsarecrack, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does a touchless actually count as washing? Maybe partial credit since it doesn't get your vehicle totally clean.

I'm with you on the hand washing. I won't go below 50F, but will go through a touchless as long as the temps are above freezing.

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been getting lazy on the bucket washes. Dragging everything out. All those buckets. 2-3 hour process.

I have touchless wash literally 5 mins away and alot of times i can cut out 1.5 hours by washing wheels then going through touchless then waterless afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I have been getting lazy on the bucket washes. Dragging everything out. All those buckets. 2-3 hour process.

I have touchless wash literally 5 mins away and alot of times i can cut out 1.5 hours by washing wheels then going through touchless then waterless afterwards.

And so is life with a white colored car...

17. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm at a similar point. I actually don't mind washing our vehicles, but I really don't want to break out the polisher and have to re-do the car every couple months or so when the AIO wears out. Going 18~24 months between polishing is rather nice.

My other issue with the AIO's is their durability. Due to winter conditions, I need the ability for our vehicles to go at least six months between LSP applications. That length of time is right on the edge for most traditional sealants and way beyond any AIO I've tried. Continuous topping AIO's with a spray is not an option due to weather as well.
    Great points, and there's no way I'd use an AIO without some sort of spray topper throughout the year. By the time spring rolls around whatever topper LSP is on the car is definitely dead. But truthfully I've still never had trouble cleaning the car up and then it's time for the annual AIO go-around anyways.

Wheels are a different story. I'll take whatever coating get me the longest time before I have to do them again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast