autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Those who experience snow.

For those who experience snow, what are your car cleaning process? I normally wash my truck at home, two bucket method yadda yadda, but with winter I turn off my water for my outside spigots. I could do a waterless wash without a issue but the undercarriage is still nasty with the salt from roads. I was going use the dreaded automatic wash by me with the undercarriage spray but not really wise to put a hot undercarriage over spraying water. So what all do you guys do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Those who experience snow.

NOTHING. Mother nature wins here. I will make sure i have a strong LSP on before winter hits. Then when the temps do moderate, i will do a normal wash at home. Always been that way. Winter wins.

If it does bother you, a coin op wash could be your friend. Blast off all the winter crap.

Then when spring hits, it's DETAIL TIME!
    2018 Colorado ZR2

3. Likes PaulMys, DetailKitty, opie, Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in North Dakota 45 years. In the winter I will drive through the occasional touchless car wash on the "deluxe" setting to get the undercarriage wash. Beyond that, if I wanted to, I have a faucet inside our garage and our outbuilding with a rolling pressure washer attachment but I've never done it. I have never been meticulous with the undercarriage and it has never been an issue.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    I've lived in North Dakota 45 years. In the winter I will drive through the occasional touchless car wash on the "deluxe" setting to get the undercarriage wash. Beyond that, if I wanted to, I have a faucet inside our garage and our outbuilding with a rolling pressure washer attachment but I've never done it. I have never been meticulous with the undercarriage and it has never been an issue.
    Do they use a lot of chemicals on the roads or primarily sand/gravel when it snows? I grew up in Ohio where they kill you with salt and the calcium chloride stuff. I remember traveling west years ago and chemical usage was not as prominent in the western states. Is it still that way?

That may be the reason your undercarriage is not an issue. The chemicals are cancerous. The sand/gravel not so much.

I tend to agree with pro 4x's methodology. I used to hose off my undercarriage and wheel wells and such as often as I could while living in Ohio but it was really a losing battle. Did it do any good? While it may have given peace-of-mind that you're doing what you can and the impression that you're doing some good, in the end the winter always wins.

Just compare a 5year-old California car to a 5 year-old eastern car and that becomes quite obvious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    NOTHING. Mother nature wins here. I will make sure i have a strong LSP on before winter hits. Then when the temps do moderate, i will do a normal wash at home. Always been that way. Winter wins.

If it does bother you, a coin op wash could be your friend. Blast off all the winter crap.

^^^This^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Do they use a lot of chemicals on the roads or primarily sand/gravel when it snows? I grew up in Ohio where they kill you with salt and the calcium chloride stuff. I remember traveling west years ago and chemical usage was not as prominent in the western states. Is it still that way?

That may be the reason your undercarriage is not an issue. The chemicals are cancerous. The sand/gravel not so much.

I tend to agree with pro 4x's methodology. I used to hose off my undercarriage and wheel wells and such as often as I could while living in Ohio but it was really a losing battle. Did it do any good? While it may have given peace-of-mind that you're doing what you can and the impression that you're doing some good, in the end the winter always wins.

Just compare a 5year-old California car to a 5 year-old eastern car and that becomes quite obvious.
    Salt, sand, calcium chloride. All of it laid down throughout winter.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post

I do the same exact thing.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what others have said about it being a losing battle. I will also add that, as much as it sucks having to brush off the snow, leaving your vehicle out in the elements all winter is much better for it corrosion wise than parking it in a garage, even if non-heated. If it’s parked inside the temps are warmer and the chemicals are more active than if it’s outside in the cold. The more frozen you can keep it the better.

10. Likes 2black1s liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding a link to a discussion happening now about undercarriage washing. I agree that keeping cars cold will impact rusting due to water/salt the least... but tomorrow in PA the weather will go above freezing for sometime and at this point, it’s good to have a home option to at least remove some of the gunk without waiting for rain in the spring to remove it all.

cleaner for undercarriage

Post Thanks / Like

Paint sealant in the fall and for winter when the weather gets right (3 days in a row below freezing with no precip) I go Garry Dean in the garage. And a few coats of wax here and there just because I love wax and spent alot of money on them.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast