autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying Towel Scratches

No need for a drying aid with PFMs. They absorb that well
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

2. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying Towel Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The Rags 2 Riches didn’t help out? My PfM’s never see a drying aid. I use pluffles for drying aids and the R2R seemed to bring those back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve only used it 2-3 times, so I still haven’t been able to form a definitive opinion on it. There’s alot of overthinking going on with me regarding my towels lately.

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    I'll have to try using my pfm's without a drying aid, It's really just an old habit. I always "prime" them first on glass.
    I’ve never liked the idea of priming drying towels on glass. Reason being is my glass towels sometimes wind up dirty and even beyond dirty with black marks from touching the surrounding rubber window trims..

For that reason I’ve always felt that any towel that has been used to dry glass is the last towel I’d want touching my paint. I use a squeegee as my 1st step to drying glass immediately after the sheeting rinse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    No need for a drying aid with PFMs. They absorb that well
    There’s no need for a drying aid with any drying towel. The only reason I got into using them is for the visual/slickness/protection benefits.

Anyone who instills scratches while drying their vehicle needs to reevaluate their technique. That includes everything from lsp, washing, drying, and towels.

The only valid excuse would be extremely soft paint, and if that’s the case then I feel sorry for anyone who has to live with that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Correct, ceramic coat and never dry the car with a "dry towel" Blow dry it first. Then use the damp towel to finish up.

I ALWAYS recommend a damp towel to start and use something like Wolfgang Uber as your drying aid. 1oz to a gallon. Use that mixture to dampen your drying towel.

While drying one can use something like Beadmaker, etc as a further gloss agent or something to help provide a slick feeling, etc.

You won't have problems with black going forward once dried like the above. I also use a 16x16 Eagle Edgeless microfiber. Something in the 400-500 GSM Range. Only need a couple. Wipe top-down of course.
    My black Audi is coated and 10 months out of 12 I blow dry with my leaf blower. I touch up the windows and surrounding trim with a guzzler and touch up the paint with a PFM. Then there's the other two months where I 1) go to a touchless wash to get the snow salt dirt filth off the surface, and follow with a rinseless wash in my garage; and 2) skip the blower step due to lack of evaporation and difficulty in a confined space. This is my first winter using this method and I've been impressed with the results, but haven't yet closely examined the paint for surface scratches yet...keeping my fingers crossed. One wash is due tomorrow before it sits in the garage for 3 weeks while we head south...I think I'll try the blow dry before wiping residue despite the difficulties.

I have a question about your prepping the towel with a drying aid. Can you be more specific as to which Uber product you use for your gallon mix? And do you then pour the mix into a spray bottle and then spray it on the towel? If not please explain your methodology in greater detail. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Drying Towel Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by Willbeen View Post

I have a question about your prepping the towel with a drying aid. Can you be more specific as to which Uber product you use for your gallon mix? And do you then pour the mix into a spray bottle and then spray it on the towel? If not please explain your methodology in greater detail. Thanks in advance.
    He’s talking about this product.

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash

He says he uses it mixed @1oz. per gallon of water for this purpose.
    I personally use it @3oz. per gallon for the same purpose, but it can totally work at either dilution for This purpose since the vehicle is “just washed” and clean.

Buy a gallon of water [distilled water is best] and simply add 1oz. of the concentrate to the gallon, shake it up and pour into a spray bottle and you’re ready to use. Lightly spray onto the panel or spray onto your towel to dampen it.

If you want to mix it @3oz. per gallon for actual cleaning of a lightly dirty vehicle, buy a gallon of water, pour out 3oz. and add 3oz. of the concentrate into the gallon of water, shake it up and pour into your spray bottle.

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bumping this thread since I'm almost out of 3D Towel Kleen and thinking about grabbing some R&R. I've recently starting using Griots Rinseless Wash and Wax (the purple stuff) as a drying aid/light topper and I'm considering upping it to something more substantial like beadmaker. What are you using as a drying aid and how are your towels holding?

I'm lazy and I'll keep spraying my topper on a wet car if I can. But I have some $$ invested in a bunch of pfm's now and if using these spray sealants is going to slowly kill them I might begrudgingly dry then top in two steps.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use drying aids. The PFMs dry the car perfectly fine without them
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

9. Likes PaulMys, DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I never use waffle weave MF drying towels since finding PFM's. I do use them for sills and glass.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don't use drying aids. The PFMs dry the car perfectly fine without them
    I'm sure I'd agree. I guess my question is more geared toward which toppers/sealants aren't clogging everyone's towels and is R&R helping to keep them fresh. Or is it not worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the original question. It is not a good idea to use drying towels right out of the package. Textile plants are very dirty (especially the ones overseas) and there can be "foreign" material embedded somewhere. Cobra guzzlers are good for glass or the roof of an SUV. Griots PFM and Speed Master Notorius D.R.Y. are the best drying towels that I have used.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rag Co Liquid8r is also superb.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast