autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying Towel Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    PFM's are one of the few detailing products I haven't gotten "bored" of and wanted to try something else.
    I have... Except all I want to do is buy a new 1 just to find out once and for all whether or not my current PFM is SUPPOSED to dry like crap without a “drying aid”.

The only way for me to find out is to buy a brand new 1. And the small one just won’t do.

2. Likes DetailZeus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Also in my experience with Infiniti paint, they have been some of the most sensitive paints I’ve worked with. Make my Subaru and Toyota’s a cake walk.
    This is great advise. Sometimes I think my Toyota could get swirls from the wind the paint is so soft. I've managed to marr the paint by swiping my finger across the surface to see if an LSP was dry enough to remove.

Fortunately, my black cars have all been German with harder paint and drying isn't nearly as difficult.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I have... Except all I want to do is buy a new 1 just to find out once and for all whether or not my current PFM is SUPPOSED to dry like crap without a “drying aid”.

The only way for me to find out is to buy a brand new 1. And the small one just won’t do.
    What? Your PFM is drying like crap, Ric??

I never use any drying aids, and all my PFM's still work like new. (My original, the Large is now 5 years old).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I never use any drying aids, and all my PFM's still work like new. (My original, the Large is now 5 years old).
    Ditto! Mine is less than 2yrs old, love it. I can wash and dry my car then wash and dry my wife’s car later that afternoon and it works like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

I’m not completely sure, but my gut tells me it used to work alot better especially when it’s dry, it just doesn’t leave a panel bone dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really surprised to hear this since I used a PFM, which is about two years old, yesterday with no problems. I'm still amazed at how well it soaks up water.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not completely sure, but my gut tells me it used to work alot better especially when it’s dry, it just doesn’t leave a panel bone dry.
    That is strange.

Are you sure the cats aren't sleeping on it??
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

The Rags 2 Riches didn’t help out? My PfM’s never see a drying aid. I use pluffles for drying aids and the R2R seemed to bring those back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    I have used two synthetic chamois for 20+ years without any problems but decided that I needed microfiber drying towels so I got a 3 pack of Cobra Guzzlers. After a hard two step correction on a friend’s super swirled black Infiniti G37, I washed it to remove polish dust. After blowing off most of the water, I used the Guzzler to remove the remaining water. The sun was shining on the side as I got the last water drops and I watched scratches appear when I wiped. I walked back around the car to inspect and they were all over the car! Back in the garage for a 3rd Step with a black foam pad. What should I have done differently? Never owned a black vehicle and probably never will. Thanks!
    Correct, ceramic coat and never dry the car with a "dry towel" Blow dry it first. Then use the damp towel to finish up.

I ALWAYS recommend a damp towel to start and use something like Wolfgang Uber as your drying aid. 1oz to a gallon. Use that mixture to dampen your drying towel.

While drying one can use something like Beadmaker, etc as a further gloss agent or something to help provide a slick feeling, etc.

You won't have problems with black going forward once dried like the above. I also use a 16x16 Eagle Edgeless microfiber. Something in the 400-500 GSM Range. Only need a couple. Wipe top-down of course.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try using my pfm's without a drying aid, It's really just an old habit. I always "prime" them first on glass.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast