autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying Towel Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
    Surprised no one mentioned using a drying aid. The main reason for a drying aid is to introduce a bit of lubrication between your microfiber and your paint while drying the car so you don't micro-mar during the final step.

Waterless wash is a good inexpensive drying aid. One or two spritzes per panel as you dry contains enough lubricity to prevent micro marring.
    Diluted ONR a good choice for a drying aid? I use it as a QD. Thanks

2. Likes dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    Diluted ONR a good choice for a drying aid? I use it as a QD. Thanks
    If your QD dilution ratio doesn't streak then it would make a great drying aid.

Also if you decide to invest in different drying towels look for 70/30 blend terry weave microfiber towels. They are more absorbent than 80/20 blend towels. More absorbent equals fewer passes on your paint. Fewer passes equals less abrasion.

Post Thanks / Like

Dry with air-

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the guzzler frequently in Mike Phillip's classes and never marred the paint nor induce any scratches. And that has been several black cars in his classes. I also practice Mike's method of inspecting my towels by sight and hand to see if I captured something in the towel (doubtful with the guzzler).

Think back to the products used in the compound and polish and then to your drying with the towel after blowing most of the water off the surface.

I use the guzzler (waffle weave) in either a flat absorbent layer or else doing a drop-n-drag method. If I had scratches appearing in a perpendicular to my towel wipe then those were there still after the polishing. Your products might have some filling properties and after washing and wiping the MF did it job, pulling out water or product.

If during the process you caught a micro speck of dust and you are rubbing down with pressure you CAN induce damage.

Just food for thought

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Think back to the products used in the compound and polish and then to your drying with the towel

Your products might have some filling properties and after washing and wiping the MF did it job, pulling out water or product.
    That’s exactly what I was thinking might be a possibility.^

Post Thanks / Like

if that is the case-- those are some pitiful fillers

Post Thanks / Like

I have used two synthetic chamois for 20+ years without any problems but decided that I needed microfiber drying towels so I got a 3 pack of Cobra Guzzlers. After a hard two step correction on a friend’s super swirled black Infiniti G37, I washed it to remove polish dust. After blowing off most of the water, I used the Guzzler to remove the remaining water. The sun was shining on the side as I got the last water drops and I watched scratches appear when I wiped. I walked back around the car to inspect and they were all over the car! Back in the garage for a 3rd Step with a black foam pad. What should I have done differently? Never owned a black vehicle and probably never will. Thanks!
    This is one of the risks of washing after correction with the potential to marr the paint. I doubt it is the towels as I have used those Guzzlers in the past without any issues. Unless there was something in the towel.

You could be dealing with soft paint that will marr with the slightest touch. It is possible the polishes used did not yield the finish you were expecting and the wash process exposed the true finish by removing any possible fillers.

Adding a prep wipe during the test spot will be a good idea for next time.

Thanks for the replies. The towels were washed prior to use and they were fine scratches. The last step with black pads/Chemical Guys V38 cleaned it up. Just finished applying CanCoat. The car was really hammered. I’m happy with it but have utmost respect for everyone that does this for a living...especially if you get black cars often.
    Did you prep wipe the paint prior to applying CanCoat? I hope you did but the question is how did the finish look afterwards prior to applying the coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Drying Towel Scratches

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg
    Dry with air-
    This.

I get asked from people, “well I scratch my car if I…“

Anytime you touch the surface of your car you could possibly scratch it. How to minimize scratching? Use a very powerful leaf blower or a specialty car drying one.

It’s been said, “if you don’t try something different, you’ll never get a different result.”

I scratched the s**t out of my old car more than once.

11. Likes luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This is one of the risks of washing after correction with the potential to marr the paint. I doubt it is the towels as I have used those Guzzlers in the past without any issues. Unless there was something in the towel.

You could be dealing with soft paint that will marr with the slightest touch. It is possible the polishes used did not yield the finish you were expecting and the wash process exposed the true finish by removing any possible fillers.

Adding a prep wipe during the test spot will be a good idea for next time.

Did you prep wipe the paint prior to applying CanCoat? I hope you did but the question is how did the finish look afterwards prior to applying the coating.
    The towel used was new and had been washed/inspected. Maybe I’m wrong but the super fine marring seemed to appear as I dried the drops of water remaining after blowing dry. I hated to wash but the correction steps left so much dust that I felt that it was necessary. I did an IPA/distilled water wiped down VERY gently with a plush MF towel prior to CanCoat. I’m definitely an amateur compared to most on here so thank you for the tips and replies. Like most of you I’m guilty of chasing near perfection on daily drivers and it drives me crazy on things like this.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m really bad at getting photos but here are three: one before shot of the door and two after finishing. Sorry, they are out of order. Thanks again for the advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drying Towel Scratches-c2754bf2-3f35-4c56-923c-310d10ea7a5e-jpeg   Drying Towel Scratches-71cdb89d-3161-4a46-92e8-9cc9a01b234a-jpeg   Drying Towel Scratches-a7c8b6a1-fb85-4150-80b9-72079f4fbe8c-jpeg  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast