Great job... Especially considering this was a first attempt at something outside of your wheelhouse of experience.

To quote Jimi Hendrix - "Are You Experienced?"

Now you are, and you have another tool in your toolbox.

Just keep this in mind - this method will only work if the touch-up was done with lacquer. The good news is that lacquer is the most common touch up paint.

And just to add another point that I've learned over the years... Whenever you are doing a repair such as this scratch repair, your first objective should always be to keep the repaired area as small as possible. What I mean by that is if the scratch is 1/32" wide when you start, then ideally, your repair will be 1/32" wide when completed.

Your example illustrates that point perfectly. The original repair was much larger than the original defect and it stuck out like a sore thumb. It may have even looked worse than the original scratch. Your rework of the original repair to reduce its size to that of the original defect, even without adding any additional touch-up paint, results in a much less noticeable repair.

That is why I emphasize "staying within the margins" of the chip (or scratch) in my touch-up method linked earlier.

Thanks for following up with your results.