autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating on my Race car (dragster)

I am thinking of using a Ceramic coating on my dragster. I am looking mainly at Pinnacle Black label. This is a dragster that does not get "washed" except at times when I pull all the panels. I would like to use one of the ceramics this time to see how it holds up. I usually wax it during the winter and then the go to during the season is a CA duster and Lucas Detailer with spray can glass cleaner on the chrome rear suspension. I also want to do my wheels especially the rear wheels that are very expensive so protecting them from brake dust would be great. Would I still be able to use the Lucas detail spray or would I need to use a ceramic coating specific detailer spray. Which products should I go with?

Mike Phillips

Re: Ceramic coating on my Race car (dragster)

Hi Tony and welcome to AutogeekOnline!

First - It would be great to see a picture of your Dragster!

Second - there are a LOT of ceramic options on the market today. It will make your head spin trying to research them all.

One of the easiest coatings to use are what most of us refer to as lite coatings, that is simple, entry level, easy-to-use coatings. The easiest one I know of to use and that I also like and use is the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating and Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating.

Here's my two mundane daily drivers after using the above mentioned products.

Examples....

Review: PBL Paint Coating & Surface Coating - 2017 IFINITI QX30 - Magnetic Red

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating

And here's an article I wrote on how to apply these two products.

Mike Phillips PBL Paint and Surface Coating Application Technique

The PBL Twins

I actually just sent all of the above information to Dennis Gage as he's going to use these products and techniques to detail his own cars.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions.

3. Likes tonyb2377 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic coating on my Race car (dragster)-million-jpgCeramic coating on my Race car (dragster)-img_0574-jpg

5. Likes yello430, Jim w liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Nice!

E-mail me your shipping address and I'll send you some product to try out.

Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

A little of topic, what class do you run in? Top Dragster, Super Comp, both? PBL surface coating is very user friendly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R/TED View Post
    A little of topic, what class do you run in? Top Dragster, Super Comp, both? PBL surface coating is very user friendly.
    I ran Top Dragster in Div 6 for a few years but got tired of 4-5 day events to win $1200. Top D has become so fast now and I have no desire to go low 6's. My car will go 6.80's at 195 but mainly been running 1/8 mile bracket racing. It runs 4.30's in the 1/8 mile.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info. I’m not a racer but, have been a drag racing fan my whole life. Sportsman as much as the pros. Know what you mean about TD getting very quick last couple years. I’m in SE Pa. Go to the LODRS Div.1 race at Maple Grove every year. If you’re racing this year, good luck.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike this is what I have in my cart currently to do my dragster. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is a product that I don't need. I am thinking the surface coating will be good for the chrome 4 link ( rear suspension) parts and also my Wheels.

PBL Surface Pep
    PBL surface polish
    PBL surface coating
    PBL Paint coating
    Cobra green MF
    Foam applicator
    Ultra Poly clay

I have quite a few bottles of Lucas detailer spray. I get it for free so was planning in using that as clay lube and also for quick detailing. Will that be OK for the clay bar? How about for quick cleaning at the track? I usually go over the car in the morning with the Lucas and will hit the rear suspension with a canned spray glass cleaner. The chrome bars get nasty from the water in the burn out box and the spray glass cleaner seems to do well with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb2377 View Post
    Mike this is what I have in my cart currently to do my dragster. Let me know if I am missing something or if there is a product that I don't need. I am thinking the surface coating will be good for the chrome 4 link ( rear suspension) parts and also my Wheels.

PBL Surface Pep
    PBL surface polish
    PBL surface coating
    PBL Paint coating
    Cobra green MF
    Foam applicator
    Ultra Poly clay

I have quite a few bottles of Lucas detailer spray. I get it for free so was planning in using that as clay lube and also for quick detailing. Will that be OK for the clay bar? How about for quick cleaning at the track? I usually go over the car in the morning with the Lucas and will hit the rear suspension with a canned spray glass cleaner. The chrome bars get nasty from the water in the burn out box and the spray glass cleaner seems to do well with that.
    I’m not Mike P. but couldn’t help suggesting that you don’t need the PBL Prep Spray if you aren’t going to do an abrasive polish. PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion (which I think is the polish you are planning to get) will prep the surfaces for the coating.

If I got the polish assumption wrong and you are planning on getting PBL Polish (the one with fine abrasives) then ignore the above and include the PBL Prep.

I assume Lucas QD you are using is not the same as Lucas Slick Mist (I think that’s the name)? I wouldn’t use Slick Mist as a clay lube because it’s going to leave decent protection down prior to the polishing step to remove everything from the paint. But if it’s a Lucas QD and you get it for free, that should work.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m not Mike P. but couldn’t help suggesting that you don’t need the PBL Prep Spray if you aren’t going to do an abrasive polish. PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion (which I think is the polish you are planning to get) will prep the surfaces for the coating.

If I got the polish assumption wrong and you are planning on getting PBL Polish (the one with fine abrasives) then ignore the above and include the PBL Prep.

I assume Lucas QD you are using is not the same as Lucas Slick Mist (I think that’s the name)? I wouldn’t use Slick Mist as a clay lube because it’s going to leave decent protection down prior to the polishing step to remove everything from the paint. But if it’s a Lucas QD and you get it for free, that should work.
    It is slick mist so I won't use it for clay bar lube. How about using it after the coating? You are correct on the polish, it is the surface cleansing polish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast