autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex vs. Rupes Gear Driven Orbital Polishers

Honestly you can't go wrong with either tool being gear driven. Both companies are well known for quality tools. You will save money with the Flex as the price is about $40 less by comparison. Frankly I think Rupes is overpriced just because of a name but that's my personal opinion. I've used Rupes tools at Mike's detailing class, and with my detailing friend's who are all Rupes guys.

At the end of the day using both brands, Flex has the power I like when it comes to their whole product line, where I've used Rupes tools that are not as powerful and are easy to stall out (excluding rotary and gear-driven).
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's an article I wrote that discusses and shows what I've termed the ghosting footprint for any brand of orbital polisher, free spinning or gear driven...

... It's difficult explain this easily with a keyboard. It's much easier to explain in person.

If anyone is interested - perhaps I can show and explain during our LIVE Detailing Class today?
    No explanation needed here. Here's a couple quotes of mine from earlier in this thread...

And today's LIVE class... I'll be tuning in if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    ... I understand the larger throw of the Flex probably equates to more correction ability, but again, absolute correction ability is not my objective. In fact, I think I’ll prefer the shorter throw of the Rupes for finishing and working up to edges/body lines...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Well like I said... That 5mm throw is probably a benefit when it comes to edges and body lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming from a rotary user, let me say this. DO NOT LET THE ROTATION OF THIS TYPE OF TOOL DETERMINE THE PURCHASE.

I was hesitant on buying a 3401 back in 2009 or so because of the rotation direction. After I got the tool in my hand, I quickly realized it didn’t matter at all. This type of tool you don’t have to worry so much about buffing into an edge or buffing off a high spot as much as a rotary. This tool will teach you how to hold a pad flat due to the nature of the tool.

The ONLY way IME the rotation matters is when picking up a bead of product.

So rather than decide on tool rotation, look at the other features of the tools and decide what’s best for you.
    Jim

4. Likes psnt1ol, JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Coming from a rotary user, let me say this. DO NOT LET THE ROTATION OF THIS TYPE OF TOOL DETERMINE THE PURCHASE.

I was hesitant on buying a 3401 back in 2009 or so because of the rotation direction. After I got the tool in my hand, I quickly realized it didn’t matter at all. This type of tool you don’t have to worry so much about buffing into an edge or buffing off a high spot as much as a rotary. This tool will teach you how to hold a pad flat due to the nature of the tool.

So rather than decide on tool rotation, look at the other features of the tools and decide what’s best for you.

I totally in agreement. I had similar experience. Once I had the tool in my hand ... it was an easy transition from a rotary for me.

The Flex has a slightly larger throw (8mm) than the Milie (5mm) but the Rupes spins faster. I tried out the Milie from a fellow enthusiast prior to getting the new supa beast. The difference between the old 3401 and the Milie were very minor. The Milie is a tad quieter and might be a tiny bit smoother but in the end I went with the Supa beast to compliment my old 3401 since the force hybrid pads I already have will be interchangeable between the two.

The ghosting of the 3mm difference between the two machines will be barely noticeable. I mainly use rupes mini , GG G8, and Ibrid for edge work these days. The mini has a 12mm throw and the GG G8 has a 8mm throw and I barely can see the ghosting difference... even though I thought I could since the machines are smaller.

6. Thanks 2black1s thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the FLEX BEASTS a LOT in my life. I have access to both the RUPES Mille and the Makita PO5000C
    I have to say... that was some _really_ good information in your post. I don't know when you have not given honest and fair information and this is no different (keep in mind, that was a double negative ). Just really good stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Thanks... Good information.

I'm at the place where you were 10 years ago - hesitant. But one difference today is that there is now a CW rotation tool available. That wasn't the case 10 years ago.

As for the "buffing into an edge" concern and not being as prevalent with this type of tool as with a rotary, I presume that is true and perfectly logical. Nonetheless, in my eyes it is never a good practice regardless of machine type. Even with a random orbital it is something I refrain from.

To illustrate that point, the next time you have a black car (straight black, not metallic) grab your go-to DA, random or gear driven, doesn't matter. Polish along a door edge, or any other edge or pronounced body line, with a perfectly flat pad overhanging the edge up to half of the pad diameter. Note that overhanging this far is only for illustrative purposes and not recommended as a normal practice.

One side of the pad will be rotating "away from" and the other side will be rotating "into" the edge. With a perfectly flat pad the pressure or force should be equal on each side of the pad.

Then grab your inspection light and closely inspect the polished edge and the first 1/8" or so of the panel. I can almost guarantee that you will see traces of marring/scratching along that edge and into the panel. The cause... The side of the pad rotating "into" the edge.

The less the pad overhang, the less pronounced the marring/scratching will be, as the angle-of-attack is shallower, but the marring/scratching will still be occurring to some degree nevertheless, as the pad wants to "grab" the edge.

It is for that reason that some tilt of the pad is desired at edges and body lines; to prevent the pad from rotating "into" and "grabbing" the edge.

My feelings regarding the relationship between tilt and rotation are expressed in post #18 and they still stand. Only a "test drive" might change my mind and prove my concerns unwarranted.

Gotta say... the deeper into this I get, the more I'm leaning towards the Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a 3401 for a decade+. I never realized the rotation was different then the PC I graduated from until reading about it hear recently. It's like riding a bicycle. By the time you are at the end of the driveway your intuition has kicked in.

Post Thanks / Like

... I think I have 7 or 8 Milles in the garage and about the only time the get used is during my classes as I teach ALL the tools...
    I can send you my shipping address if you want to get rid of one.

Post Thanks / Like

My first experience with the cordless model was not that of disaster. I let it do it’s thing and didn’t fight it. After a minute or so, I understood what was going on. And I’m a humble rookie. Flex vs. Rupes Gear Driven Orbital Polishers

12. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone that has replied to this thread.

Like I stated in my original post, the Flex polishers have nothing but rave reviews and you guys have reiterated that clearly in this thread. Everyone that uses a Flex loves the machine and there couldn't be a better testimonial than that. Thank you.

Nevertheless, I feel that the Rupes is a better fit for me for all of the reasons I have previously stated. I was looking for a reason not to select the Rupes, or rather a reason that I shouldn't select the Rupes. The closest thing to a reason not to select the Rupes that I found in all of the replies, was Mike's statement...

... I think I have 7 or 8 Milles in the garage and about the only time the(y) get used is during my classes as I teach ALL the tools.

I probably have 40+ FLEX 3401s, Supa Beasts and CBEASTS and they get used a LOT.
    But he also stated...

... All three tools are capable machines...
    Then there was one other user who cautioned me regarding the reliability, durability, and servicing (if needed) of the Rupes via PM.

I have taken all of this information into consideration to form my decision...

Is the Rupes the better choice for MY needs, intended usage, and ultimate satisfaction? Key word being "MY"... I think my answer is yes.

Thank you again for all of your insights.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast