autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting BF One Step out of pads

Here's one I haven't run into - Last detail I did I used Blackfire One Step for correction/base layer. During the process, after I was done with a pad I'd throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and Griot's microfiber cleaner. I know a lot of folks will use an All Purpose Cleaner for that, but I don't have one by name at the moment. The next day, I went through and hand washed all the pads with the Griot's cleaner; if memory serves I sprayed the cleaner directly into the pad, scrubbed, and thoroughly rinsed them. After they were dry they got stacked away and I hadn't looked at them sense.

I was just going through my supplies and took a look at those pads again, it seems like they still have some sort of residue in them. The best way I can describe it is just that they don't feel like bare clean pads, they have a slippery feel to them.

Has anyone run into One Steps being tricky to wash out? I was surprised to find this after hand washing - I'da figured that maybe if I just ran them through the washing machine it would be more likely to be a problem, but I thought hand washing would have been more thorough.

What should I try next? For what it's worth, the pads are all Griot's. Some BOSS, some standard. The detail was done at the end of the summer, I just hadn't had any reason to look at the pads again until recently. I'm hoping time isn't against me on this one.

Should I just try running them through a wash cycle with standard detergent + microfiber cleaner like normal? I do have the Griot's Foaming Surface Prep, which I think acts the same way as most APC's as I understand it - Should I soak them in a bucket with that prior to washing them again? Or is this a case to try the Rags to Riches cleaner that has come out recently?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting BF One Step out of pads

I typically soak them in the sink with warm water and dawn, squeezing them to push out the residue , afterwards I throw them in the washing machine with a safe detergent (forgot which one). This works for me.

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

3. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hand wash my pads in a similar manner to yours except I use Dawn (or equivalent). I've never had an issue with any significant residue left behind but even if I did it would not concern me because I also segregate my pads by product. All of my used pads are stored in zip-lock bags marked with what product they have been used with.

Example - If I used a pad with Blackfire One Step, that pad would only be used for an AIO product in the future, or even preferably, only Blackfire One Step. Using this methodology eliminates, or at least minimizes, any concern over trace amounts of product left behind following washing of the pads.

With compounds and polishes this is not as much of an issue as they typically clean easier than products that include protective ingredients (wax, sealant, etc.).

5. Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a black Sharpie to label the back of my pads with what product I used them with. Boy, do we have to have a ton of pads each used with one specific product.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

From 2009

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...tml#post257776

See where I posted this

By their very nature, a quality wax or paint sealant should be HARD to wash out of anything and this means it will not wash off or wear-off your car easily either. Isn't that a good thing?

If I had a nickel for every time this question was asked...

8. Likes John U, Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wet the pad then hit it with Palmolive, FULL STRENGTH, massage the soap all the way in, let sit for a couple minutes then flush with cold tap water thoroughly, squeezing until zero suds. There's a YouTube video on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I run about a gallon and a half of hot water in a bucket and then put in 2 tide pods… Then I let them soak overnight and rinse them out underneath the tap, works every time, and the laundry detergent rinses out better than a dishwashing detergent.
    Glen -

11. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by obguam View Post
    Wet the pad then hit it with Palmolive, FULL STRENGTH, massage the soap all the way in, let sit for a couple minutes then flush with cold tap water thoroughly, squeezing until zero suds. There's a YouTube video on this.
    This is exactly the way I do it except I don't initially wet the pad. Then if I feel a second cycle is needed, obviously the pad is wet at this point, so my second cycle is exactly as described.

EDIT: Reading this again I've discovered one more difference in my process... I use water as hot as my hands can take. Hot water will ALWAYS clean beter than cold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Here's one I haven't run into - Last detail I did I used Blackfire One Step for correction/base layer. During the process, after I was done with a pad I'd throw it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and Griot's microfiber cleaner. I know a lot of folks will use an All Purpose Cleaner for that, but I don't have one by name at the moment. The next day, I went through and hand washed all the pads with the Griot's cleaner; if memory serves I sprayed the cleaner directly into the pad, scrubbed, and thoroughly rinsed them. After they were dry they got stacked away and I hadn't looked at them sense.

I was just going through my supplies and took a look at those pads again, it seems like they still have some sort of residue in them. The best way I can describe it is just that they don't feel like bare clean pads, they have a slippery feel to them.

Has anyone run into One Steps being tricky to wash out? I was surprised to find this after hand washing - I'da figured that maybe if I just ran them through the washing machine it would be more likely to be a problem, but I thought hand washing would have been more thorough.

What should I try next? For what it's worth, the pads are all Griot's. Some BOSS, some standard. The detail was done at the end of the summer, I just hadn't had any reason to look at the pads again until recently. I'm hoping time isn't against me on this one.

Should I just try running them through a wash cycle with standard detergent + microfiber cleaner like normal? I do have the Griot's Foaming Surface Prep, which I think acts the same way as most APC's as I understand it - Should I soak them in a bucket with that prior to washing them again? Or is this a case to try the Rags to Riches cleaner that has come out recently?
    I'll add in my experience with BF One Step and GG Microfiber & FoamPad Cleaner
    1. Mike Phillips response is key, BF1-step has a sealant so is a bit harder to clean.
    2. GG cleaner is good but not very effective in this type of product (I buy it in gallons)
    3. Like many comments a good dish wash soap is often needed with warm water and still sometimes you will leave behind some sealant.
    4. Suggest you made to use Surface prep is an option or even using the R2R product in a pre-soak.

My suggestion is to buy Lake Country Snappy cleaner or the DP Pad Rejuvenator (similar to LC but in bulk form) and put that into a small bucket and use it to pre-soak.
    DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator cleans and extends your pads life. DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator can be used on all pad types from foam to microfiber and

I found that I can use the DP pad product in a large (huge) empty plastic container with a lid. Mine fits the 5 or 5.5 inch pads perfectly. Then as they soak I can shake the can (lid on...LOL) and really work the solution into the pad. I have even let it sit for a day or two until time to wash and dry that out. And do afterwards take them to the sink for full rinse.

14. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes suggests using half to a full cup of white vinegar along with your cleaner in the washing machine when using their one step.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

16. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast