autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie needs advice

I am a newbie. I have a 2018 Honda CR-V black. I am ip
    on Canada and cold bad weather . In the summer baby my vehicle as much as I can with wash dry wax etc . At the end of summer I notice a few swirl
    marks etc not horrible but I see them and don’t like them
    . this is were I am my problems start. We had lots of snow last week and one of my co workers thought he was being nice and cleaned of my car with a car brush . Hard rough bristles . I use a foam pusher so no marks . Now near my trunk I have these big horrible scratches on the side that make me cringe.
    here is my question . If I go toma
    detailer I am
    Looking at 550 and up depending on places . I have always wanted to try a da polisher ( spring time) . There are so many from entry to higher . . If I go this root what is a good compound to fix the scratches and swirls as I don’t know if this paint is soft hard etc. Also I live on a busy street with house attached on both sides and a garage that doesn’t fit my suv. It gets better . I get the direct sunlight from early morning to after supper for most of the summer and don’t know if time to wash clay polish and wax in one day without being in sun. Would you say it’s better just to pay to have it done or invest in the machine and do myself . And tips on doing this in sunlight

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie needs advice

Depends....If you are not really into spending hours on your car, then pay someone to do it.

If you want to try to do a DA polish. Get the griots G9....and Blackfire One step.

Do not try to make those scratches disappear! It may be too deep. If you can feel the scratches with your finger nail----too deep. Just polish it enough to soften the sharp edges and leave it alone.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , will check tomorrow . So disappointing seeing the scratches . I take time washing car as I just love it and to see those scratches were a gut punch

4. Thanks TMQ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about the induced scratches...

GG G9 is a great polisher to start. Tons of power and a lifetime warranty to boot. If paint enhancement is what you are after, G9 and a good AIO is all you need. For anything more serious... pair it up with a fiber pad and a decent compound and you should be good to go but you may need a finishing step with a fine polish + a finishing pad combo (depending on your paint hardness).

If you are planning to do this outdoor, you might want to look at polishes or compounds that are sun friendly. You will make your life so much easier.

6. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Entry level, I would go with the Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher and Lake Country 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish Orange Pad (Single) and 5 Inch Hybrid Power Finish White Pad (Single) Force Hybrid pads. BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish is a great product that pairs nicely with those pads. If you have space in your garage, use that space to buff it out. If not, a 10x10 foot pop-up canopy can be gotten anywhere to give you shade.

All that said, the money invested in a polisher, 6 each of the pads, polish, and canopy will pay for a detail. The flip side, is if you enjoy taking care of your car then you are money ahead long term.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

8. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks , I’m not sure if I can those chemicals in Canada but if they open the borders I’m only an hour away . I looked at the cover last year and we can’t use those in our areas. Not temp or full time . People were using those years ago for car covers and they are disallowed so it’s in the sun , and worried about noise complaints. They don’t care about dogs barking all day but this . Maybe I
    Bring over dramatic but here is a little section

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Newbie needs advice-eea0044f-aa28-45d9-82f2-6b5fe170345d-jpeg