autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Overwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection)

Just to add....

Here's a really simple approach that would also get you into machine polishing. If you're going to take care of your own car - sooner or later you're going to want to get into machine polishing as hand polishing is for the most part a waster of time, energy and resources.

The most simple polisher is also one of the most reliable polishers on the market. It's the Porter Cable 7424XP. I share it in a review I just wrote for a new Mothers Ceramic Wax. In the review for the wax I also show that along with purchasing a Porter Cable polisher you'll need to purchase a 5" backing plate and some pads.

This is as cheap as you can get and still have a quality tool.

Review: Mothers Ceramic Wax by Mike Phillips

Mothers Ceramic Wax

The cheapest way to get into machine buffing,

Either of these tools below. In the above review I showcased the Porter Cable because it would have been poor etiquette to show a GRIOT'S tools with a MOTHERS product. (make sense?)

The Porter Cable is a solid performer with decades of time-proven reliable history. A more powerful tool for just a few dollars more would be the new Griot's G9 Random Orbital Polisher. It comes with a 6" backing plate but I recommend getting the 5" backing plate because this way you'll invest your money in the smaller, 5.5" buffing pads - not 6.5" buffing pads. The nutshell story about this is smaller pads rotate better on tools like this and also FIT your car's body panels better.

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher - $159.99

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher - $149.99

5" Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate - $17.99

White Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad - $6.99

Both of the above tools are the same basic type of tool. The Porter Cable or as we call it - the PC - is an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher. The Griot's G9 as the name implies is a 9mm free spinning random orbital polisher. The difference between 8mm and 9mm is tiny. The BIG PICTURE is both tools are SHORT STROKE polishers and in my humble opinion a better choice for any beginner versus a LONG STROKE polisher simply because it's easier for a beginner to maintain pad rotation with short stroke versus long stroke when it's your ONLY tool for buffing out a car.

A car = multiple body panels of different shapes and sizes. Long stroke are great for large flat panels but short stroke are much better for all shapes and size body panels.

For what it's worth... I've been doing this as long or longer than anyone breathing. By "doing this" I mean both detailing cars AND WRITING about detailing cars. (There's a lot of great detailers that can't type) And here's the deal...

I can no longer count how many times a person has started a thread like this, (on any platform), where they are working by hand, THEN they take the leap-of-faith and purchase a polisher, and then they say something like this,

Wow! I should have done this 20 years ago...

Or fill in the number of years to anything you like.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Just to add....

Here's a really simple approach that would also get you into machine polishing. If you're going to take care of your own car - sooner or later you're going to want to get into machine polishing as hand polishing is for the most part a waster of time, energy and resources.

The most simple polisher is also one of the most reliable polishers on the market. It's the Porter Cable 7424XP. I share it in a review I just wrote for a new Mothers Ceramic Wax. In the review for the wax I also show that along with purchasing a Porter Cable polisher you'll need to purchase a 5" backing plate and some pads.

This is as cheap as you can get and still have a quality tool.

Review: Mothers Ceramic Wax by Mike Phillips

Mothers Ceramic Wax

The cheapest way to get into machine buffing,

Either of these tools below. In the above review I showcased the Porter Cable because it would have been poor etiquette to show a GRIOT'S tools with a MOTHERS product. (make sense?)

The Porter Cable is a solid performer with decades of time-proven reliable history. A more powerful tool for just a few dollars more would be the new Griot's G9 Random Orbital Polisher. It comes with a 6" backing plate but I recommend getting the 5" backing plate because this way you'll invest your money in the smaller, 5.5" buffing pads - not 6.5" buffing pads. The nutshell story about this is smaller pads rotate better on tools like this and also FIT your car's body panels better.

Griot's Garage G9 Random Orbital Polisher - $159.99

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher - $149.99

5" Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Plate - $17.99

White Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Foam Pad - $6.99

Both of the above tools are the same basic type of tool. The Porter Cable or as we call it - the PC - is an 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher. The Griot's G9 as the name implies is a 9mm free spinning random orbital polisher. The difference between 8mm and 9mm is tiny. The BIG PICTURE is both tools are SHORT STROKE polishers and in my humble opinion a better choice for any beginner versus a LONG STROKE polisher simply because it's easier for a beginner to maintain pad rotation with short stroke versus long stroke when it's your ONLY tool for buffing out a car.

A car = multiple body panels of different shapes and sizes. Long stroke are great for large flat panels but short stroke are much better for all shapes and size body panels.

For what it's worth... I've been doing this as long or longer than anyone breathing. By "doing this" I mean both detailing cars AND WRITING about detailing cars. (There's a lot of great detailers that can't type) And here's the deal...

I can no longer count how many times a person has started a thread like this, (on any platform), where they are working by hand, THEN they take the leap-of-faith and purchase a polisher, and then they say something like this,

Wow! I should have done this 20 years ago...

Or fill in the number of years to anything you like.

thank you Mike, I can imagine how many people have said that and I probably should just start with one. When considering this it does tie in the budget I had in mind. Would you feel I should with my WG kit idea or could possibly get away with a simply all in one? At the end of the day I ultimately am trying to learn as I go and maintain every 6 months or so. I’d prefer staying away from a ceramic right now as it’s a bit intimidating for a diy right out of the gates even with all your write ups I’ve read 😂.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post
    thank you Mike, I can imagine how many people have said that and I probably should just start with one. When considering this it does tie in the budget I had in mind. Would you feel I should with my WG kit idea or could possibly get away with a simply all in one? At the end of the day I ultimately am trying to learn as I go and maintain every 6 months or so. I’d prefer staying away from a ceramic right now as it’s a bit intimidating for a diy right out of the gates even with all your write ups I’ve read ��.
    Do an AIO like BF One Step and then top every couple months (it’s really easy to apply after a wash/dry) or worst case 6 months (if you really have a 6 month maintenance restriction) with BF SiO2 Spray. Repeat the One Step every year or so. Wait until a 25% or 30% off sale on BF, they happen often.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Do an AIO like BF One Step and then top every couple months (it’s really easy to apply after a wash/dry) or worst case 6 months (if you really have a 6 month maintenance restriction) with BF SiO2 Spray. Repeat the One Step every year or so. Wait until a 25% or 30% off sale on BF, they happen often.
    Well, the weekend is closing in and frankly I’ve read more than i expected. So many options and technology, and so many opinions. Mike obviously takes the cake from what i’ve read as far as experience, reviews, influence, and knowledge, or at the very least who has that and is willing to share it online.

Where I’m at is the following items. Probably overkill, but its an investment i intend to use for my vehicle and my wife’s, with hopes of getting experience and finding what i want and do not want. Mike - I know you recommended the porter cable over the G9 by Griots but i have bad experience with Porter Cable equipment as i work in construction. So based off reviews and your review of the G9, i elected to go that route.

Iron X Iron Remover, CQuartz IronX, Paint Cleaner, paint decontamination

Griot's G9 BLACKFIRE One Step Fundamentals Kit

BLACKFIRE Poly Clay & Lubricant Combo - Fine Grade

BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax

Please tell me if I’m making a poor choice somewhere, or otherwise overkill. I’d like to avoid starting out overkill but would also like a good slate to start with. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

You are off to a great start!

Iron-x - check

Griots kit - check

Do this:Speed Master Clay Towel Combo

Hold off not the BlackICE Liquid Wax. Your One step will be good for 3 months. By then you might want to use another LSP.

All great picks! You've done far better than I have when I started out! lol...

tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Reason for getting a get clay towel is this----When you run out of clay lube you can switch over and just use a bucket soapy water with your towel.

Or any fine clay towel brand....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Reason for getting a get clay towel is this----When you run out of clay lube you can switch over and just use a bucket soapy water with your towel.

Or any fine clay towel brand....

Tom
    Tom, I questioned the secondary liquid wax so I appreciate the comment to hold off and see where I’m at in a few months. As far as the club and towel goes, can I bypass the towel for a few months as well? I intend to only do two vehicles in the next three months so I hoped to get two vehicles out of one clay purchase. One is new 2021 other is a 2018 with probably fair or above fair paint condition. Or do you feel you can get away with just this towel and use clay lube and/or soapy wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post
    Tom, I questioned the secondary liquid wax so I appreciate the comment to hold off and see where I’m at in a few months. As far as the club and towel goes, can I bypass the towel for a few months as well? I intend to only do two vehicles in the next three months so I hoped to get two vehicles out of one clay purchase. One is new 2021 other is a 2018 with probably fair or above fair paint condition. Or do you feel you can get away with just this towel and use clay lube and/or soapy wash?
    Just a clay towel....

Use with bucket soapy water....

Towel will last you few years. Clay bar...couple uses and if you do drop it, it's trash. If you drop a clay towel, just rinse in bucket and carry on...

Love mine....I had Pinnacle fine clay bar I bought 4 years ago....I still have it!
    Always used clay towel with soapy water....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Just a clay towel....

Use with bucket soapy water....

Towel will last you few years. Clay bar...couple uses and if you do drop it, it's trash. If you drop a clay towel, just rinse in bucket and carry on...

Love mine....I had Pinnacle fine clay bar I bought 4 years ago....I still have it!
    Always used clay towel with soapy water....

Tom
    perfect, I thought I could get away with that but wasn’t sure the lifespan on those towels. Glad it’s what I hoped. Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with TMQ, I definitely enjoy using a clay towel as inevitably I’d always drop the clay bar at least once since that thing is slick. And remember to season the clay towel by wiping on your windshield first before putting it against your paint.

And I almost responded first but held off as I wasn’t really enamored by the Hybrid Liquid Wax choice. I’d also just go with the BF One protection initially and consider picking up one of the numerous SiO2 spray sealants or one of the graphene sealants (coming) out.

Have fun.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast