autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Overwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection)

If you plan on taking off road I would suggest PPF on the bottom once you decide how to proceed with paint protection. Do the PPF after correction but before protection application.

Post Thanks / Like

To OP: You were looking at WG coating kit... there’s so many kits I’m not sure which one you saw. But if f it’s the coating that would be your main LSP, be aware that it’s a little bit more involved than a quick waxing; both in prep and application. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start with a coating if you are new to this stuff, but make sure to research the process and block off ample time to work on the car.

If you’re interested in starting with a more forgiving process, Collinite 845, 476, 915 are all solid, durable and easy to reapply whenever you think it’s needed. WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or SiO2 Paint Sealant, same idea. Any sealant or wax should be able to be applied right after whatever polish/clay/prep you want to perform and they are generally ok to be topped with further layers every 2-6 months with minimal additional preparation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Hi there....

I've read and re-read your post. I think you already answered your questions....

Wolfgang is good.
    Collinite is good.

Based on your statement, "I plan to simply wash, clay, wax and seal it."

Question---Do you have a polisher with ton of pads?

That will help simplify things.

Tom

Hello Tom, I currently do not so that was also a concern I had ans debated investing in a budget friendly one. Otherwise a product that can do decent to such a new vehicle by hand applications and good maintenance.

Everyone before Toms post, I read your comments and appreciate them all, I am only using my cell and couldn’t respond to quoting each one but will throughout tomorrow if it’s applicable. I’ll allow follow this post to any others. Again thank you everyone 👍 I likely did just overthink it and read way too much options.

4. Likes TMQ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
    If you plan on taking off road I would suggest PPF on the bottom once you decide how to proceed with paint protection. Do the PPF after correction but before protection application.
    I have had a small section applied to the front and lower sections were done by factory actually. Thank you for this tip of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    To OP: You were looking at WG coating kit... there’s so many kits I’m not sure which one you saw. But if f it’s the coating that would be your main LSP, be aware that it’s a little bit more involved than a quick waxing; both in prep and application. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t start with a coating if you are new to this stuff, but make sure to research the process and block off ample time to work on the car.

If you’re interested in starting with a more forgiving process, Collinite 845, 476, 915 are all solid, durable and easy to reapply whenever you think it’s needed. WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or SiO2 Paint Sealant, same idea. Any sealant or wax should be able to be applied right after whatever polish/clay/prep you want to perform and they are generally ok to be topped with further layers every 2-6 months with minimal additional preparation.
    Hello, I was considering a few kits. One was the deep gloss and collinite 845, the kit was titled “Facebook Favorite” here on AG if I’m not mistaken. Otherwise I was looking at a 3-4 bottle concurs kit.

I am interested in a forgiving kit so I can learn as I own the vehicle and wish to try different products if I’m dissatisfied, so that somewhat ruled out my thought of a ceramic. As you mentioned I also was considering the si02 kits by Wolfgang. With everyone’s comments this far as well as yours I’m leaning towards the Facebook favorite kit or the deep gloss concurs kit. I also feel comfortable using a iron x or decon for the insurance factor as I’ve read many posts of mike and several others suggesting it. This vehicle has been off road a few times already and likely was transported on train before a flatbed.

Thank you for the suggestions and tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'd say do your research on the products you're interested in but when it comes to abrasive technology, that is compounds, polishes and all-in-ones, don't skimp. Not even for white colored cars. Clearcoats are thin.

Got it thanks Mike. CG is out then 😂. It was hardly in but it was a back burner idea. Think I’ll just forget that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of what you mentioned and going off roading i think the Wolfgang coating would be the route. If not wanting to go full coating I would start with their spray coating. Gets great rwviews, easy to use, last long.

Top it with their sio2 spray every 3-6 months if you want.

Side note: Don’t be afraid of their full blown consumer coating. It is pretty easy to use and not much more difficult than a sealant to apply and remove.

Just keep an eye out for high spots. This would be your strongest protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys sucks for durability, LOL. You mentioned Collinite #845 and while I've used it in the past and its VERY easy to use it doesn't seem to last all that long. That said, Collinite #476 on the other hand, DOES last quite a bit of time, same with #915. I guess it's because #476 & #915 are past and #845 is liquid.

Your going to get a ton of different answers here, which might add to being overwhelmedOverwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection) In closing, on a larger SUV, once you've got it protected, I'd maintain it with a spray on, hose off product like 303 Touchless sealant because it's so damn easy to use, something to think about, especially on a larger SUVOverwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection)Overwhelmed With Options (New Car Protection)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes bob m, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RNR89JV View Post
    Hello, I was considering a few kits. One was the deep gloss and collinite 845, the kit was titled “Facebook Favorite” here on AG if I’m not mistaken. Otherwise I was looking at a 3-4 bottle concurs kit.

I am interested in a forgiving kit so I can learn as I own the vehicle and wish to try different products if I’m dissatisfied, so that somewhat ruled out my thought of a ceramic. As you mentioned I also was considering the si02 kits by Wolfgang. With everyone’s comments this far as well as yours I’m leaning towards the Facebook favorite kit or the deep gloss concurs kit. I also feel comfortable using a iron x or decon for the insurance factor as I’ve read many posts of mike and several others suggesting it. This vehicle has been off road a few times already and likely was transported on train before a flatbed.

Thank you for the suggestions and tips!
    I will add to the confusion by giving you my opinion. I have owned so many white cars over the years including a Toyota 4Runner many years ago. Owned a few 'real' Chevy Blazers used for running the wilds of Wyoming and Colorado.

Yes, do take time with the 'baggie' test and check the paint and then do chemical iron decon section and clay the surface lightly.

For the exterior protection pick whatever you find in the AG store that is easy to apply. Use it on a regular basis to keep the car looking it's best. If you do take the truck into the brush you are going to 'mar' that exterior layer. So pick something easy to apply frequently.

Give it time but do consider buying one of the Griot's Garage G9 DA buffers to use for any surface imperfections that will occur with your four wheeling adventures.

My storage cabinet is full of Facebook and YouTube recommended products: Collinite 845 and Collinite 915 waxes, Pinnacle waxes, McKee's, Blackfire, and Wolfgang products.

I do recommend the new 303 Graphene spray for the roof section for the protection it provides and easy to apply. For the lower sections pick easy, those will need frequent toppers if you trash in the brush. I do enjoy using the Pinnacle Black Label Paint Coating (spray) and then the topper with the Surface Protection ($$$$ - wait for a sale). That keeps the surfaces slick and glossy.

In the words of Mike Phillips, find a product YOU like to use and use it often. My final word, do not chase the latest and greatest unless you have a large storage area. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Thomkirky is so spot on!

I got 3 or 4 grand of stuff I no longer use! Sitting in bins!

Since you don't have a polisher...

Do as Thomkirby outlined:
    1. Iron-x (remove iron from clear coat).
    2. Wash.
    3. Clay with soapy water. (This will help flatten the surface a bit more).
    4. Rinse and dry.

Then get some spray on stuff, wipe and done.

The new 303 Graphine: Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

This may just all you need: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Surface Coating, paint coating, nano glass paint coating

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast