autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving Out Quotes for Detailing a vehicle (aka how much do I charge)?

I do Mobile Detailing as I side hustle, and I've been doing it for years now. I live on the eastside of the Seattle area (WA state has very high taxes). I'm a one man show, so I don't have anyone working for me. I don't really advertise, I just go off of "word of mouth". I basically have two packages (Exterior and Interior), here's the breakdown as to what gets accomplished for both:

the exterior breakdown:

1. pressure wash the vehicle
    2. pressure wash door jam area of all doors
    3. clean rims/tires
    4. wash the vehicle
    5. dry the vehicle
    6. clay-bar the vehicle
    7. wax entire vehicle (usually use spray wax)

Interior breakdown:

1. remove all personal items (very back of the vehicle, back seats, beat seat door storage spots, front seats door storage spots, center console storage areas (I usually don't do anything to the glove box, unless requested)
    2. remove all floor mats
    3. vacuum the whole vehicle
    4. if the vehicle has material seats (non leather), apply cleaning solution to all seats
    5. use my whole arsenal of brushes to agitate the cleaning solution into the seats
    6. use carpet extractor to clean all vehicle seats
    7. if the seats are leather, apply a leather cleaner to all seats, then apply a leather conditioner to all seats (applying two step process)
    8. apply cleaning solution to all vehicle carpet areas
    9. use my whole arsenal of brushes to agitate the cleaning solution into carpet areas
    10. use carpet extractor to clean all carpet areas
    11. clean all panels throughout the entire vehicle with multi-surface cleaner
    12. apply UV protection to all panels throughout the entire vehicle
    13. apply glass cleaner on all windows

I usually give a price range of $400 to $450 for doing both, then if its just one of exterior/interior, then I'm usually giving a quote of $200 to $250. I'm pretty thorough with my work, so it can take me a while depending on how dirty the vehicle is and the size of the vehicle, probably in the range of 6 to 10 hours. As most detailers know, the customers view on how dirty his/her vehicle is, is completely different than a detailer. More times I often get a lot of people that get sticker shock on that amount that I provide as a quote. Then I always have the impression that the people that are willing to pay my rate have a better understanding as to what goes into detailing a vehicle the right way (maybe that's just in the back of my head). I know detailers that charge an hourly rate range of $70 to $100. I also know there are detailing shops that have more than one employee, so those shops can knock the prices down, and the supplies they are buying in bulk. I know of a few mobile detailers that charge 40 percent to 50 percent cheaper than what I charge, but the individual/s are young adults and just starting out.

I'm sure there are a lot of you when you started out were doing jobs for next to nothing or super cheap. I remember doing just an interior detail job that I quoted for $150 giving the lady a deal, and w/out actually seeing the kid trashed Lexus SUV. It literally took almost ten hours. Well when you take $150/10 you get $15.00 an hour. To be successful, there's no way I can charge $15 an hour, and have it worth my time.

Basically I get a lot of requests through Facebook or online and I'm either texting/typing my quotes, so how do you articulate to a person that has no idea how much work and time goes into detailing a vehicle?

Cheers

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving Out Quotes for Detailing a vehicle (aka how much do I charge)?

Quote Originally Posted by sothpaw73 View Post

Basically I get a lot of requests through Facebook or online and I'm either texting/typing my quotes, so how do you articulate to a person that has no idea how much work and time goes into detailing a vehicle?

You hit on the answer when you said your customers understand the hours involved and the service you provide. The ones that do not understand, will never be your customer.

Be proud of your work and don't waste your time trying to convince a person who will never pay you what you are worth.

3. Likes Farmallluvr, sothpaw73, bob m, Rod73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    You hit on the answer when you said your customers understand the hours involved and the service you provide. The ones that do not understand, will never be your customer.

Be proud of your work and don't waste your time trying to convince a person who will never pay you what you are worth.
    Great advice!

Post Thanks / Like

When I detailed for a living I NEVER gave a phone quote, I had to see the vehicle with the owner present. By doing so I could determine what was important to them, see what I was in for, explain the time & processes involved, and get to know them a little better. Then they got the quote/estimate. It was a little extra bother as I would go to them if they couldn't come to me. The result was 100% booking due to the personal touch and mutual understanding.

I'm not saying that's the way to do things just the way I did it.
    Rick....now in North Texas

6. Likes bob m, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    When I detailed for a living I NEVER gave a phone quote, I had to see the vehicle with the owner present. By doing so I could determine what was important to them, see what I was in for, explain the time & processes involved, and get to know them a little better. Then they got the quote/estimate. It was a little extra bother as I would go to them if they couldn't come to me. The result was 100% booking due to the personal touch and mutual understanding.

I'm not saying that's the way to do things just the way I did it.
    Some very solid advice right there. The internet is loaded with stories of detailers who have learned the hard way not to trust someone's assessment of 'not that bad'

8. Thanks RTexasF thanked for this post
    Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for hijacking thread. Was wondering what to charge my neighbor for a 1step on ford mustang. I've only Polished sisters & brothers cars And only charged them for material I use 20- 30 dollars. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richhinz View Post
    Sorry for hijacking thread. Was wondering what to charge my neighbor for a 1step on ford mustang. I've only Polished sisters & brothers cars And only charged them for material I use 20- 30 dollars. Thank you.
    How long do you estimate that it will take you and how much do you want to make for your time? That and what kind of break do you want to give your neighbor.

That's your answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richhinz View Post
    You get paid!!!

My 89 year old godmother who's been a "customer" for 50 yrs now, still pays with a hug! She's so thrilled that I look forward to the 13 hour drive to visit her.

12. Likes dgage, sothpaw73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving Out Quotes for Detailing a vehicle (aka how much do I charge)?

Quote Originally Posted by sothpaw73 View Post
    I do Mobile Detailing as I side hustle, and I've been doing it for years now. I live on the eastside of the Seattle area (WA state has very high taxes). I'm a one man show, so I don't have anyone working for me. I don't really advertise, I just go off of "word of mouth". I basically have two packages (Exterior and Interior), here's the breakdown as to what gets accomplished for both:

the exterior breakdown:

1. pressure wash the vehicle
    2. pressure wash door jam area of all doors
    3. clean rims/tires
    4. wash the vehicle
    5. dry the vehicle
    6. clay-bar the vehicle
    7. wax entire vehicle (usually use spray wax)

Interior breakdown:

1. remove all personal items (very back of the vehicle, back seats, beat seat door storage spots, front seats door storage spots, center console storage areas (I usually don't do anything to the glove box, unless requested)
    2. remove all floor mats
    3. vacuum the whole vehicle
    4. if the vehicle has material seats (non leather), apply cleaning solution to all seats
    5. use my whole arsenal of brushes to agitate the cleaning solution into the seats
    6. use carpet extractor to clean all vehicle seats
    7. if the seats are leather, apply a leather cleaner to all seats, then apply a leather conditioner to all seats (applying two step process)
    8. apply cleaning solution to all vehicle carpet areas
    9. use my whole arsenal of brushes to agitate the cleaning solution into carpet areas
    10. use carpet extractor to clean all carpet areas
    11. clean all panels throughout the entire vehicle with multi-surface cleaner
    12. apply UV protection to all panels throughout the entire vehicle
    13. apply glass cleaner on all windows

I usually give a price range of $400 to $450 for doing both, then if its just one of exterior/interior, then I'm usually giving a quote of $200 to $250. I'm pretty thorough with my work, so it can take me a while depending on how dirty the vehicle is and the size of the vehicle, probably in the range of 6 to 10 hours. As most detailers know, the customers view on how dirty his/her vehicle is, is completely different than a detailer. More times I often get a lot of people that get sticker shock on that amount that I provide as a quote. Then I always have the impression that the people that are willing to pay my rate have a better understanding as to what goes into detailing a vehicle the right way (maybe that's just in the back of my head). I know detailers that charge an hourly rate range of $70 to $100. I also know there are detailing shops that have more than one employee, so those shops can knock the prices down, and the supplies they are buying in bulk. I know of a few mobile detailers that charge 40 percent to 50 percent cheaper than what I charge, but the individual/s are young adults and just starting out.

I'm sure there are a lot of you when you started out were doing jobs for next to nothing or super cheap. I remember doing just an interior detail job that I quoted for $150 giving the lady a deal, and w/out actually seeing the kid trashed Lexus SUV. It literally took almost ten hours. Well when you take $150/10 you get $15.00 an hour. To be successful, there's no way I can charge $15 an hour, and have it worth my time.

Cheers Giving Out Quotes for Detailing a vehicle (aka how much do I charge)?

Cheers!

If I was putting in time for anything, I would work for a minimum of $100/hr to cover cost of living, overhead, and taxes.

In terms of (exactly) providing the services you stated above, it requires a special person or the most high-line type of clients to really appreciate something like that.

What I see that is needed on your part is to find a away to become more efficient in the process. It will naturally raise your prices without your clients needing to know.

Additionally,

For a luxury SUV like a Range Rover, something like what you described would take me 6 hours. For me, I am at the $690 mark. 2 hours for the exterior and 4 hours for the interior. Almost always. In some cases, less time.

The bulk of the time of what you are producing is the interior, again, based on what you listed.

If I was in the $450 mark compared to your process, I would find a away to be content with slimming down your process. Does customer really require leather conditioning or a UV protectant? Did they even ask for it?

Eventually, when you become more efficient, maybe you can toss those in as an added value. But never has anyone asked me to do so. If you insist on those as key features, raise your prices then.

I never discount. But at these prices, higher margin, it allows me to toss in extra at no cost to them.

For the type of interior you stated above, I start mine at $330 and goes to $460. It’s the only interior option I offer when people are new.

To maintain that, I provide interiors as an add on to my exterior maintenance detail. That starts at $180 and goes to $230. Interior cleaning (like corvette light cleaning) plus $100. Deeper Interior—add an additional $200 on top of that.

It took me 4 years to realize that this model works for me. I haven’t changed it since then.

Personally, here is what I do when it comes to my business:

1) I dialed in my process to the point that I know what I want to include and know exactly hour long I take for a small, medium, large, super luxury/exotics—this is done with all my services.

2) I now have a flat rate for everything and I am comfortable with the idea of that. Again, due to step one.

3) Make sure to ask the right types of questions. Unless, I need to do a test spot for correction, I give quotes over phone. Learn how to spell everything out as you may already know. Over communicate than under of course.

4) No one is required to give a quote over the phone. At the end of the day, it’s your business. But I do now. It eliminates needed to go drive to see the car or waiting for a customer to send pictures. That itself has eliminated unnecessary soft cost to run a business. Again, this is just me.

5) I tell people this is your base cost, but if the car is not what you said it is than I will need to add more money to it. It’s a matter of having a conversation.

6) When I talk to people, they are not just interviewing for me, I interview for them. If after 30 seconds of giving a quote and they are not on board, I am moving on. No need to discuss further or trying to explain the value in what I do.

^^^
    | | |

One final thought that I discovered over time...it’s not that some people don’t want to spend the money. It’s just that we’ll all have different opinions of what is clean and not clean. Even amongst detailers.

Customers typically call with a budget in mind. I tell them it’s going to be this cost. And in person, sometimes it’s much more and it’s a conversation that will have before I start the work. And when I am able to reason with them they say, “oh I see it your way now.”

Read between the lines, my business strategy is not for everyone. But pick and choose if any of these principles apply to what makes sense to you.

Best wishes!

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

14. Thanks sothpaw73, Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As always thanks everyone...