autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post

Typically i use hexlogic pads.
    See what I wrote about pads with designs in the face of the pad here,

HELP! Can't finish down without micro-marring on 2015 Ram 2500

For compounds I have used and have on hand meguiars 105, turtlewax rubbing compound and Meguiars 205.
    The Meguiar's SMAT Twins are good for hard paint. If the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound is older than a year - I'd probably not use it on car paint.

I also clay the car. I am considering upgrading to a Griots G9 DA.

I am completely open (and would like) Polish and compound suggestions for my Audi. What i have works great on my Old GM cars, but it didnt work on VW, or my volvo.
    For an aggressive compound for hard paints that finishes out nice - check out this new compound from SONAX

Sonax Ultimate Cut 6+ - 250 ml

If you're NOT going to install any type of paint coating, then check out the BLACKFIRE One Step. This is an AIO but I use it as a finishing polish to clean-up after heavy compounding BECAUSE it is strong enough to clean-up any haze after compounding and leaves the paint protected in one step. Plus it wipes off super easy.

You can always top it with a NON-CLEANING product like the BLACKFIRE BlackIce, (nice sealant), or consider the new 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating as a TOPPER.

See these,

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Review: 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating

Recommendation: Microfiber Applicator Pad for applying 303 Graphene Nano Coating Spray

Extra Large Microfiber Applicator Pad

Review: BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax

I've used this new SONAX compound but don't have a review for it yet. It does cut great and also finish really nice. At least on the car I used it on.

Sonax Ultimate Cut 6+

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I will give the Sonax polish a shot! I wonder if my hex logic pads are why my accord god some swirls in the paint after i polished.
    My TW compound is about 7 monhts old, but im not married to it in any way. What polish would you reccomend with the Sonax ultimate cute?

I also plan to do a true ceramic coating probably the Gyeon 1, or something similar.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

I watch a few detailers on you tube, and I've seen quite a few of them use microfiber cutting pads on paint with heavy swirls. I was wonder what the benefits/downsides to something like that are. I have an Audi, and my experience with VW and euro cars is that the paint is usually pretty hard. I had almost no luck removing swirls on my Volvo s60 with an orange pad an meguiars 105. Im wondering if i should order one of the microfiber pads for when i decide to recon the paint on my new to me 2014 s4. Of course, id start off with polish and a light cut pad, and move up the aggressiveness scale.
    Microfiber will cut better but the product is more important than the pad. Put some CarPro ClearCut or UltraCut on a microfiber and you'll have great results. Beyond that the best advice would be to buy a Flex Forced Orbiting polisher. There I use wool and the aforementioned products and you'll cut through Audi or any Euro brand paint easily. HUGE time saver. In fact depending on how bad it is you won't need to go beyond a foam. Foam pad wise on a Flex, Orange Hybrid Force or Flat pads cut great. Prior to stepping up to wool I would then try a buff and shine maroon pad.

I used a Maroon Pad on this 2013:

This black Q7 needed a few passes with wool first; finished it up with a yellow Rupes Pad and some CarPro Essence

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

4. Likes PaulMys, PaulyT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd suggest the Griots Fast Finishing MF pads. They aren't overly aggressive but work faster than foam. If it's hazy finish with a Griots Yellow polishing pad and a finishing polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    What situations would you use 3D One and Carpro Reflect?
    3D One is pad dependent. This is my go to for one step. Very seldom I have to follow that with a finer polish like Reflect. By seeking out the sweet spot between pads and 3D One, I generally exceed my expectation of around 65%-70% correction for a one step. 65%-70% correction might not sound like a lot here but the general public can't tell the difference between that and 100%. LOL

7. Likes noorth liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I will give the Sonax polish a shot! I wonder if my hex logic pads are why my accord god some swirls in the paint after i polished.
    My TW compound is about 7 monhts old, but im not married to it in any way. What polish would you reccomend with the Sonax ultimate cute?

I also plan to do a true ceramic coating probably the Gyeon 1, or something similar.
    The simple answer would be Sonax Perfect Finish. Many reviews have indicated Gyeon One is tacky to work with in the past.

Germany is world famous for compounds and polishes. Carpro is well regarded has well. Lots of options.

Personally, i've used cutmax and perfect finish. They work and relatively quickly.

9. Likes BudgetPlan1, PaulyT liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Isn't it great to have so many great options?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Isn't it great to have so many great options?

Great and frustrating!

I know i want to get rid of the swirls and then ceramic coat. I suppose ill be using the Sonax compound and polish, Im also throwing all my hex logic pads in the trash. ( usually buy new pads for a full detail anyway).
    Ill pick up some new foam pads, (maybe lake country?) and a Meguairs microfiber cutting pads. Jury is out on what coating. (open to suggestions there)

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpro Cquartz UK3.0 is one of the most popular coatings around. Its very robust and it performs very well with no topcoat.

IGL poly looks interesting too. It comes in a kit with IGL premier - in canada - which is an excellent maintenance product.

I think Mike done a review last year sometime....for IGL poly.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post

I think Mike done a review last year sometime....for IGL poly.

Yeperdoo....

Review: IGL Poly Ceramic Coating & IGL Compounds and Polishes - GREAT ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY

FIRST - How's this look?

Here's the after shots....

And Markus Parsely from IGL will be one of my VIP Guests at next months 3-day detailing class.

VIP Guests - Industry Experts - for the February 3-Day Detailing Class

Markus Parsley from IGL Coatings

Markus is a natural teacher - he'll share his tips and techniques for using IGL products and installing IGL coatings. Another super high caliber expert in our industry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123