autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post

Have never tried myself but HD One w UroFiber is somewhat well regarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

Depending on paint hardness, 3D One
    Thanks guys, that’s the answer I was looking for.. I recently had someone ask me if I had any experience using the Uro Fiber pads and also 3D One as a 1 step combo...

Well of all the things I’ve tried, the guy happens to ask about 2 things that I’ve absolutely never tried out. Doh!Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

I told him he should be alright, but I felt kinda bad not being able to provide a definitive answer based on experience or even much else to really go on since those Uro Fiber Pads aren’t really mentioned much + I never really got excited about 3D One, so I pretty much shot a blank on that 1 too. Lol.

2. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Thanks guys, that’s the answer I was looking for.. I recently had someone ask me if I had any experience using the Uro Fiber pads and also 3D One as a 1 step combo...

Well of all the things I’ve tried, the guy happens to ask about 2 things that I’ve absolutely never tried out. Doh!Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

I told him he should be alright, but I felt kinda bad not being able to provide a definitive answer based on experience or even much else to really go on since those Uro Fiber Pads aren’t really mentioned much + I never really got excited about 3D One, so I pretty much shot a blank on that 1 too. Lol.
    Apex detailing made that combo popular. I think he was trying to imitate esoteric's sonax perfect finish with rupes yellow 1 step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Apex detailing made that combo popular. I think he was trying to imitate esoteric's sonax perfect finish with rupes yellow 1 step.
    Hmm. I don’t think I caught that video.. I watch some of his vids but don’t subscribe, so I mainly come and go based on whatever youtube decides to recommend on my list.

5. Likes noorth liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post

Hi all,

I watch a few detailers on you tube, and I've seen quite a few of them use microfiber cutting pads on paint with heavy swirls.

I was wonder what the benefits/downsides to something like that are.

Here's the nutshell answer.

Fibers are a form of abrasives.

Fiber pads will CUT paint better than foam. So "yes" a microfiber pad will work better to remove any defect better than foam.

Here's the problem - because each of the fibers that make up any fiber pad can CUT the paint, (even with a finishing polish or AIO), these cuts will cause PAD HAZE, which is micro-marring on medium and soft paints.

So as a good rule of thumb, kind of like a rotary buffer, microfiber pads are good to start with but you'll get better overall results more consistently if you FINISH with foam.

I have a number of articles that go deep on this topic if you care to read them and look at the pictures.

In this article, I'm the only guy that's ever shared the backstory behind microfiber pads for DA polishers. Look for the section under the heading,

Car Detailing History 101

Fibers are a form of abrasive - Foam Pads vs Microfiber Pads by Mike Phillips

And here's a more recent article where I think the pictures tell the story.

Foam vs Fiber - Car Detailing by Hand or Machine

7. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the nutshell answer.

Fibers are a form of abrasives.

Fiber pads will CUT paint better than foam. So "yes" a microfiber pad will work better to remove any defect better than foam.

Here's the problem - because each of the fibers that make up any fiber pad can CUT the paint, (even with a finishing polish or AIO), these cuts will cause PAD HAZE, which is micro-marring on medium and soft paints.

So as a good rule of thumb, kind of like a rotary buffer, microfiber pads are good to start with but you'll get better overall results more consistently if you FINISH with foam.

I have a number of articles that go deep on this topic if you care to read them and look at the pictures.

In this article, I'm the only guy that's ever shared the backstory behind microfiber pads for DA polishers. Look for the section under the heading,

Car Detailing History 101

Fibers are a form of abrasive - Foam Pads vs Microfiber Pads by Mike Phillips

And here's a more recent article where I think the pictures tell the story.

Foam vs Fiber - Car Detailing by Hand or Machine

Thanks Mike! Very informative. Ive achieved great results on 90s era GM cars with soft clear coats with some 3m compound and a medium cut pad. But that same combo on my newer euro cars just falls short. I think Polishing/compounding with the microfiber, then doing a foam polish might be the technique. I plan to do a full detail and paint correction on my S4 once i have access to a garage in March.

Post Thanks / Like

If I need to use fiber to compound, would a foam polishing pad have enough cut to polish out the micro marring?

Post Thanks / Like

If I need to use fiber to compound, would a foam polishing pad have enough cut to polish out the micro marring?
    yes

Post Thanks / Like

just remember that your choice of abrasive technology is probably more important

Mike Phillips

The below is the crucial factor.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

just remember that your choice of abrasive technology is probably more important

As long as you're using great abrasive technology then in most cases the answer would be yes.

If you're working on HARD paint, which Auids are known for,

Im wondering if i should order one of the microfiber pads for when i decide to recon the paint on my new to me Audi 2014 s4.

When working on harder paint instead of finishing out with a foam finishing pad (very soft), and a fine cut polish you can use a normal foam POLISHING pad, (more correction than a foam finishing pad), and a medium cut polish. And this all has to do with how harder paints polish and finish out.

Clear as mud?

What are you using for,

Tool
    Products

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The below is the crucial factor.

As long as you're using great abrasive technology then in most cases the answer would be yes.

If you're working on HARD paint, which Auids are known for,

When working on harder paint instead of finishing out with a foam finishing pad (very soft), and a fine cut polish you can use a normal foam POLISHING pad, (more correction than a foam finishing pad), and a medium cut polish. And this all has to do with how harder paints polish and finish out.

Clear as mud?

What are you using for,

Tool
    Products

I have a Griots g8 mini (love it) A pitsburgh harbor freight DA, Typically i use hexlogic pads. For compounds I have used and have on hand meguiars 105, turtlewax rubbing compound and Meguiars 205.
    I also clay the car. I am considering upgrading to a Griots G9 DA. I am completely open (and would like) Polish and compound suggestions for my Audi. What i have works great on my Old GM cars, but it didnt work on VW, or my volvo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast