autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

Hi all,

I watch a few detailers on you tube, and I've seen quite a few of them use microfiber cutting pads on paint with heavy swirls. I was wonder what the benefits/downsides to something like that are. I have an Audi, and my experience with VW and euro cars is that the paint is usually pretty hard. I had almost no luck removing swirls on my Volvo s60 with an orange pad an meguiars 105. Im wondering if i should order one of the microfiber pads for when i decide to recon the paint on my new to me 2014 s4. Of course, id start off with polish and a light cut pad, and move up the aggressiveness scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber DA pads vs Foam

Basically for the most part -- in general, The MF cutting pads are more aggressive, but now I believe they have some that are not so agressive,
    If I were you, and wanted to use a MF pad on your heavily swirled paint, I would try one as a test spot with your M105 and see how it does. You can keep the same pad and change the polishes and see the difference- I think that different abrasive technology is something all detailers need to have on hand

Post Thanks / Like

I like using microfiber pads (Meguiars Finish and Cutting Pads) and what I like most is how easy they are to clean with compressed air; cleans the product and paint off the pad along with cooling it down. I still use pads too, especially for curves but I like the pads for the flat surfaces. I do have many different polishes/compounds to find the pairings that work best.

4. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In some ways Microfibers is more aggressive than wool. Cuts really well but foam seems to finish better (Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber Pads feature a blend of two different microfiber grades into just one pad so its a great pad to use for a one step). Microfiber also generally runs warmer than both wool and foam. Excessive heat can cause havoc on some paint system if not careful. Microfiber works better on long throw DA and to a certain extend a traditional DA.

Gear driven DA with wool is my machine of choice for compounding and long throw DA with foam to finish. If a one step correction is called for... Long throw DA with Uro-fiber all day long.

6. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    In some ways Microfibers is more aggressive than wool. Cuts really well but foam seems to finish better (Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber Pads feature a blend of two different microfiber grades into just one pad so its a great pad to use for a one step). Microfiber also generally runs warmer than both wool and foam. Excessive heat can cause havoc on some paint system if not careful. Microfiber works better on long throw DA and to a certain extend a traditional DA.

Gear driven DA with wool is my machine of choice for compounding and long throw DA with foam to finish. If a one step correction is called for... Long throw DA with Uro-fiber all day long.
    Do you have any particular compounds, polishes, or AIO’s that are your favorites to use with those Uro Fiber pads when doing 1 steps?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Do you have any particular compounds, polishes, or AIO’s that are your favorites to use with those Uro Fiber pads when doing 1 steps?
    Have had solid, consistent results w Griots Correcting Cream & UroFiber pads.

Have never tried myself but HD One w UroFiber is somewhat well regarded.

9. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of options. Sonax cutmax with megs cutting disc's followed up with a foam pad with perfect finish another example.

Might be able to do a one step with 3D One and the right pad.

I've only used the 50/50 pad a few times it cuts more then LC orange for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    3D Speed for AIO... I havent tried Rupes Uno Protect or BF One Step ( I did have experience with the old BF formulation years ago but not with Uro-fiber since the pad came out a few years later).

Depending on paint hardness, 3D One, Merzerna 2400 (SIP1500 old label), CarPro Reflect for polishes. I generally finish down with foam (after compounding).

Sonax cutmax or 3D ACA 500 X-TRA CUT is a toss up for compound. Carpro Clear Cut is good too but it dust a little more. I found myself having to add more pressure on last 2 passes to get the most from it....It's just my experience based on my buffing style. I also prefer wool pads over microfiber since the Flex 3401 and the new beast are my weapon of choice when compounding.

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    3D Speed for AIO... I havent tried Rupes Uno Protect or BF One Step ( I did have experience with the old BF formulation years ago but not with Uro-fiber since the pad came out a few years later).

Depending on paint hardness, 3D One, Merzerna 2400 (SIP1500 old label), CarPro Reflect for polishes. I generally finish down with foam (after compounding).

Sonax cutmax or 3D ACA 500 X-TRA CUT is a toss up for compound. Carpro Clear Cut is good too but it dust a little more. I found myself having to add more pressure on last 2 passes to get the most from it....It's just my experience based on my buffing style. I also prefer wool pads over microfiber since the Flex 3401 and the new beast are my weapon of choice when compounding.
    What situations would you use 3D One and Carpro Reflect?

Post Thanks / Like

Reflect is a fine finishing polish

15. Likes noorth liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast