autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How to restore the OEM brake calipers

My car is almost three years old now and the OEM brake calipers has shown the signs of its ages. It was silver and looks clean but now it looks dull and has built up dirt and brake dust. After a bit of research I found out that my brake calipers seems to be made of cast iron with zinc plating. Last week I tried clean them with meguiar 's ultimate wheel cleaner and Gold class shampoo with a detail brush. It did help remove most of brake dust and dirt, however the finish still looks dull. what is worse that I found out today the calipers surface has turn yellow a bit. Here is the image. Is it related to the product I used to clean them? What is the best way to restore the finish of brake calipers? For comparison, here is a picture of the brake caliper when it is one year old.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to restore the OEM brake calipers

My suggestion would be to clean well, and (re)paint with a high quality(high-temp) caliper paint. Prep is important, clean well(chemical and mechanical brush), dry well, tape off all the seals and remove the pads, paint High Temp ceramic caliper specific paint. Otherwise that's just how calipers will look once they get older and heat cycled.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what you are seeing is tarnishing, corrosion and oxidizing of the original plating. I don't think it has anything to do with the products you used to clean them, rather it's just normal aging of a typically driven vehicle.

The only way that condition could have been prevented would have been through regular and thorough cleanings from the time it was new.

It looks like you have the calipers as clean as they can be at this point and that's the best you're going to be able to achieve without re-plating or re-coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Clean, prep, paint is all you can do and once done you can protect them like any other painted surface. They still look new to me from the picture.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to paint those zinc-plated calipers you should bead blast them first to remove the zinc as it will prevent the paint from keying (to the surface).

Post Thanks / Like

I use Dupli-Color DE1650 Ceramic Cast Coat Aluminum Engine Paint on my Odyssey hubs and caliper. I use 1/4" tape pulled lightly to circle the edge of the rotor to paint the "hats".

How to restore the OEM brake calipers-img_6422-jpg How to restore the OEM brake calipers-img_6371-jpg How to restore the OEM brake calipers-img_2233-jpg How to restore the OEM brake calipers-img_2231-jpg How to restore the OEM brake calipers-img_4631-jpg

7. Likes IH8SPM, Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

John U.... Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great and Dupli color has tons of colors to choose from for about $8 a can. If anyone is planning on doing this I suggest getting ultra thin plastic drop cloths to cover your car unless your removing the calipers and bracket. Great work once again.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Could always invest in the G2 caliper kit which holds up better than the rattle can caliper paint.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Could always invest in the G2 caliper kit which holds up better than the rattle can caliper paint.
    That held up nicely for nearly 15 years, 60k miles on the '04 Vette. No snow or salt but otherwise good stuff.

13. Likes The Guz liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast