autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for you guys who live in a blizzard..

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    People in California know what a blizzard is. We have Dairy Queens here.
    A Butterfinger blizzard sounds great right now!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Carbrite makes a product called Omni-brite,,spraying down the area and then scrubbing with hot water and hot water extracting does wonders on removing all that salt although I'm not sure AG sells carbrite anymore.

I have Husky Liners in my Equinox because I find them easier to keep clean and new looking as opposed to weather techs
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    Carbrite makes a product called Omni-brite,,spraying down the area and then scrubbing with hot water and hot water extracting does wonders on removing all that salt although I'm not sure AG sells carbrite anymore.

I have Husky Liners in my Equinox because I find them easier to keep clean and new looking as opposed to weather techs
    As a long time WeatherTech customer I know where you are coming from with keeping them looking new....BUT that has been solved, my WeatherTech themselves, with their cleaner/protectant combo. Before this I would try Alien Kleen aka Optimum Power Clean but when I was done the stain where your feet are always resting would NEVER go away. As far as protectant goes I never thought of applying ANYTHING to the mats but with this combo...NO WORRIESQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard..Question for you guys who live in a blizzard..

4. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    WeatherTech floor liners.

Problem solved............
    Sound advice! However sometimes the salt and the yuck can still get on the carpeted areas on the edges of the floorliners. Since the salt is water soluble, I usually first clean it with some water and a terry towel. Then I will spot treat it with a Bissell carpet cleaner. Now that I have my Tornador, that will be the next solution.
    Salt will eat right through the Scotch Guard or any type of fabric protectant.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

6. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the WeatherTechs AND Blizzaks will get a workout after work tomorrowQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    Magnesium chloride is a desiccant, a hygroscopic material that absorbs moisture. Calcium chloride is another example.

When used to treat ice, the magnesium chloride absorbs moisture and dissolves in to a brine which then instigates the melting of the ice.

Magnesium chloride is effective at lower temps as it's hygroscopic ability to absorb moisture is pretty much unaffected by temp.

So, chemist or not, I'm going to give you partial credit for your answer ...
    I love it! The type of road salt each city or state uses also depends on the predicted temperature. Common road salt is unrefined sodium chloride and it is only effective down to 20 degrees F. Magnesium Chloride is effective down to 5 degrees F but there is an environmental issue where it adds magnesium to the soil. Another option is calcium chloride which will work down to -25 degrees F but it is extremely corrosive.
    Some environmentally conscious towns use plain old sand or urea.
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

Post Thanks / Like

2 weeks after cleaning/protecting themQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.. I'm sure the carpet protection out there is good stuff, I use it on my carpeted mats but when it comes to THIS stuff, I'm a "purpose built, use it person", just like winter tiresQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.. Sure, you get by and alot of us got by with all-season tires but when something is built for snow/slush and temps below 45 degrees, that just makes sense and cents....cents, yep, would rather not have to use my deductible, you know what I meanQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.....plus it keeps wear and tear off of your 3 season tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    2 weeks after cleaning/protecting themQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.. I'm sure the carpet protection out there is good stuff, I use it on my carpeted mats but when it comes to THIS stuff, I'm a "purpose built, use it person", just like winter tiresQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.. Sure, you get by and alot of us got by with all-season tires but when something is built for snow/slush and temps below 45 degrees, that just makes sense and cents....cents, yep, would rather not have to use my deductible, you know what I meanQuestion for you guys who live in a blizzard.....plus it keeps wear and tear off of your 3 season tires.

Agree with those Weather Tech floor liners. Custom fit and offer excellent protection, but of course even w/o snow, black floor liners show every piece of dirt, sand and debris. I just bought a bottle of their mat protectant and will see how that goes. I also understand that unless you vacuum and wipe them down very often, they will never look pretty (they are for protection) in an otherwise pristeinely maintained interior.

Come Spring, I will buy what I think is the perfect answer for those wanting a mat that looks great, is comfortable underfoot and never looks dirty and that are these USA made coco mats. CocoMats.com - Custom Car Floor Mats. Hand-Made in USA. I had them on my Audi A4.

Regarding snow tires, I am with you and ran Blizzaks on my last few cars - except for last year being too lazy to have them swapped out with my All Season tires. I live in NE NJ and the recent snow falls in the last year or two has been very minimal. But on my new CX-5, I swapped out the OEM TOYO'S for Vredestein Quatrac Pro's. While not a dedicated snow tire it has been winter rated and seems to best suit my winter driving experiences - lots of cold weather, with some rain, little snow. So I will use them year round with some high confidence of being able to handle what winter throws at us in this part of the country. If per chance we start seeing winters with a good deal of snows, I would get a dedicated snow tire sin a heartbeat.

11. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These new All-Weather tires are starting to become a thing. I've got these Michelin All-Season tires on my work van with a crazy tread pattern and they seem pretty good so far. You can tell if the tires are All-Weather because in addition to the other symbols they've got the snowflake on there as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    These new All-Weather tires are starting to become a thing. I've got these Michelin All-Season tires on my work van with a crazy tread pattern and they seem pretty good so far. You can tell if the tires are All-Weather because in addition to the other symbols they've got the snowflake on there as well.

Yes and yes.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast