autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth the upgrade to Griots G9?

Also make sure to mark the back of your pad/backing plate with a sharpie to see that it's spinning. A free spinning DA will stall if not flat on the surface and then the pad isn't doing anything.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=04lss;1703389]Could be my belt or buttons on my shirt, or the cord. I bought a detailing apron recently so that i dont have to worry about my clothes any more.[/QUOTE

Not trying to be argumentative, but a cord, backing plate or belt buckle will cause scratches and not swirls. Something else is causing your swirl problem.

Post Thanks / Like

The G9 is a fabulous polisher for the money. I had the opportunity to use it during Mike's detailing boot camp last September. Bang for the buck, there is nothing that will touch it. I would take it over a Rupes or even my beloved Flex polishers at 2-3 times the price.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

4. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand this is a year old+ thread. Just had a polisher quit on me.... after 100+ cars, 8 years. I got my $ worth. The manufacturer shall remain nameless, HF. Anyway, I just spoke with Craig @ Griot's and after asking questions about the G9 I found out it WILL NOT accept smaller than a 5 inch backing plate... wow. Didn't see that coming.

Oh well, I'll put 3 inch backing plate on GG6 and buy a G9 and keep 5 inch plate on it.

Just thought you might want to know.

OP, try test spots with more aggressive compounds and/or pads and you will likely have more success on hard paint. It's almost certainly not the polisher.

Craig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avgguy View Post
    I understand this is a year old+ thread. Just had a polisher quit on me.... after 100+ cars, 8 years. I got my $ worth. The manufacturer shall remain nameless, HF. Anyway, I just spoke with Craig @ Griot's and after asking questions about the G9 I found out it WILL NOT accept smaller than a 5 inch backing plate... wow. Didn't see that coming.

Oh well, I'll put 3 inch backing plate on GG6 and buy a G9 and keep 5 inch plate on it.

Just thought you might want to know.

OP, try test spots with more aggressive compounds and/or pads and you will likely have more success on hard paint. It's almost certainly not the polisher.

Craig
    I put a 5in plate on my new G9 this week & gave the SB Honda decklid & hood some grief with it this morning. Looking pretty good but forgot to get a pic for my ShitBox Honda thread. Got a G8 for the 3in pads... used that to polish the headlights.
    Those who possess real knowledge are rare. Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still. The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZRX61 View Post
    I put a 5in plate on my new G9 this week & gave the SB Honda decklid & hood some grief with it this morning. Looking pretty good but forgot to get a pic for my ShitBox Honda thread. Got a G8 for the 3in pads... used that to polish the headlights.
    Just took mine for it's inaugural spin, today. Pun intended.

Wow, this thing's only $170 and comes with a Lifetime Guarantee? Glad I passed on the Rubes.

I ran the 1-minute full-speed "test" from the instructions, however, and It did launch a Rubes 6" microfiber yellow clear across the room. It was a sign

I put on a 6" Lake Country orange and it was at least as smooth as my Duetto, with no stall. My Duetto stalls like crazy and I'm now thinking maybe it's defective. Will have to look into it further.

8. Likes MisterSnoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

while newer to detailing, i'm not new to tools, I've had mine for a couple of years now and I couldn't be happier....as stated above, i mark my pads so i know they are spinning, but over time, you get a feel for it

i went through a lot of trial and error, but the best advice I got when learning to use was not to use too much product....that was my biggest issue, soaked heavy pads tend to fly off of a polisher

10. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I like my G9(like the G8 more-so) and all things considered it wasn't that pricey. Just waited for the quite common sale to pop-up somewhere. Got mine 20% off I think.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

i am the jump starter.

14. Likes Bosko, MAXBKS, chilly liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast