autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Worth the upgrade to Griots G9?

Hi all,

I have a pitsburg DA, that ive had for a few years. I typically use it with hex logic or lake country pads. Last year i got my hands on a Griots g8 mini DA and i absolutely love it. It also seems far more effective at polishing than the pitsburgh.
    Im wondering if it is worth the money to upgrade to the G9 polisher.

a few months ago I tried to polish my 2019 accord, and didnt seem to make a dent in any of the swirls, in fact i may have introduced some new ones in places. I washed the car, Clayed it, and i used brand new pads along with Meguiars 105 and 205. I was meticulous about making sure the paint and pads were clean before i polished. I also made sure to clean the pads after every panel with blackfire pad cleaner. The few areas that i did with the g8 seemed to come out much better. I have managed to polish and compound older cars with softer clearcoats pretty well with it. But my GTI, accord and Volvo saw no real reduction in swirls.

Should I just go ahead and buy a G9 and eliminate the polisher as a potential source of my difficulties?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Worth the upgrade to Griots G9?

Go for it! They will last you a lifetime.

3. Thanks 04lss thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any experience with either machine you're talking about but I do know that the G9 has some pretty good reviews. I'd say you can't go wrong if you buy that machine. Griot's lifetime limited warranty is as good as it gets plus they also have a 6-month satisfaction guarantee... If you don't like the tool for any reason you can return it for a full refund within 6 months from date of purchase

That said, if you are introducing new swirls during your polishing, I don't think that can be blamed on any correctly functioning tool. It's something in your process that's causing that, i.e., pads, polish, technique.

As for you being able to do better correction with the G8, that sounds quite normal to me. That's simply the physics of a smaller footprint at work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I don't have any experience with either machine you're talking about but I do know that the G9 has some pretty good reviews. I'd say you can't go wrong if you buy that machine. Griot's lifetime limited warranty is as good as it gets plus they also have a 6-month satisfaction guarantee... If you don't like the tool for any reason you can return it for a full refund within 6 months from date of purchase

That said, if you are introducing new swirls during your polishing, I don't think that can be blamed on any correctly functioning tool. It's something in your process that's causing that, i.e., pads, polish, technique.

As for you being able to do better correction with the G8, that sounds quite normal to me. That's simply the physics of a smaller footprint at work.
    my best guess for that would be the edge of the backing plate making contact in certain spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 04lss View Post
    my best guess for that would be the edge of the backing plate making contact in certain spots.
    The backing plate under any circumstances should not be larger than the pad.

7. Likes Avgguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The backing plate under any circumstances be larger than the pad.
    it isnt, the pads are larger by enough of a margin, but i think on occasion ill lean too far or something and put the DA at a bad angle. I only know of it happening once.

Post Thanks / Like

Live and learn, but I still can't see how your backing plate can touch your paint and create swirls if the pad has at least a 1/4 to 3/8" overhang.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Live and learn, but I still can't see how your backing plate can touch your paint and create swirls if the pad has at least a 1/4 to 3/8" overhang.
    Could be my belt or buttons on my shirt, or the cord. I bought a detailing apron recently so that i dont have to worry about my clothes any more.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be that GTI, Accord and Volvo paints may be in the middle and over to the hard side. That could explain not making a dent in the swirls.

I would think GTI and Volvo---Middle to Hard side.

Accord--may beat the middle and over towards the soft side.

These are my initial guesses---I would start out and confirm using the Blackfire One step with soft or white pads.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Griots G9 is a good machine. I have the old 6' griots and in many cases it cuts better than my Rupes 15"!!!

With that in mind---you can't go wrong with a Griots. And at 150....damn good price for their cutting power!

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

13. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast