autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ryobi 18v Orbital Polisher

It's free spinning. It feels like it has way more power than any of my corded tools, my Rupes 15 Gen 1 and my Griot's Boss 21 and is lighter and brushless. If you have Dewalt batteries already go for it, you won't be disappointed. It may stall on some major tight curves (that's what a 3 inch polisher is for any way) but minor and no where near the tools I just mentioned and it torches a PC. I love it. IMHO Flex has a challenger now.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

2. Thanks waddell64 thanked for this post
    Likes noorth, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FAB automotive detailing did a review on it. Here's a link:

Brand New Ryobi 18V Dual Action Polisher! Let's See What It Can Do! - YouTube

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a decent machine. I watched the video. Too bad it wasn't 12 or 15mm.

Mike Phillips

I tested the DeWALT cordless rotary and free spinning orbital.

The DeWALT battery technology is lacking. Not enough run time and takes too long to recharge.

The tools themselves worked well.

When I was asked if we should bring the tools into Autogeek my answer was

I think our customer care reps will end up dealing with a lot of unhappy customers over the battery runtime and recharge time.

Again - the tools worked great, but the battery charge didn't last very long and it took way to long to re-charge the batteries. Doing some simple math, I figured to run either of the tools non-stop to do paint correction to an entire car, so 3, 4 5 hours of machine buffing, I would need around 8 batteries, maybe 10. The reason why is because the charged batteries will drain fast but it takes at least an hour to recharge a dead battery, I think it may have taken longer.

I got no dog in this fight, I'm just telling you my experience with the battery technology.

AND - at this time I do compare all cordless polishers to FLEX battery technology. FLEX battery technology has set the standard to date.

I still have them, I could re-test the battery technology again. One thing I know for sure, PEOPLE (that's you guys), are real picky about quality. That's a good thing. And if my test results for battery runtime and re-charge time are accurate, I could see a lot of you complaining AFTER the purchase.

Now if you're a enthusiast or weekend warrior and you don't mind taking your time to buff out a car than no problem. Me? Once I start I don't stop until the job is done and if I'm using a cordless tool it's going to have to perform close to a corded tool or I won't waste my time. The FLEX battery technology performs to my expectations.

7. Thanks noorth thanked for this post
    Likes John U, PouncingPanzer liked this post
    Dislikes ollever disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I tested the DeWALT cordless rotary and free spinning orbital.

The DeWALT battery technology is lacking. Not enough run time and takes too long to recharge.

The tools themselves worked well.

When I was asked if we should bring the tools into Autogeek my answer was

I think our customer care reps will end up dealing with a lot of unhappy customers over the battery runtime and recharge time.

Again - the tools worked great, but the battery charge didn't last very long and it took way to long to re-charge the batteries. Doing some simple math, I figured to run either of the tools non-stop to do paint correction to an entire car, so 3, 4 5 hours of machine buffing, I would need around 8 batteries, maybe 10. The reason why is because the charged batteries will drain fast but it takes at least an hour to recharge a dead battery, I think it may have taken longer.

I got no dog in this fight, I'm just telling you my experience with the battery technology.

AND - at this time I do compare all cordless polishers to FLEX battery technology. FLEX battery technology has set the standard to date.

I still have them, I could re-test the battery technology again. One thing I know for sure, PEOPLE (that's you guys), are real picky about quality. That's a good thing. And if my test results for battery runtime and re-charge time are accurate, I could see a lot of you complaining AFTER the purchase.

Now if you're a enthusiast or weekend warrior and you don't mind taking your time to buff out a car than no problem. Me? Once I start I don't stop until the job is done and if I'm using a cordless tool it's going to have to perform close to a corded tool or I won't waste my time. The FLEX battery technology performs to my expectations.

Mike, What Ah battery where you using for your test?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Skier404 View Post

Mike, What Ah battery where you using for your test?

The tools came with 5 AMP and 3 AMP batteries but I did my testing with the 5 AMP batter. Benchmarking against the FLEX 5 AMP battery.

I don't care what people buy, I just know in my industry, I've met and seen a LOT of complainers because products didn't meet their expectations. If I had never used a FLEX cordless tool I would probably think ANY cordless polisher was pretty cool.

But I have more articles on FLEX cordless tools and ALL my writing is based on REAL-WORLD detailing, not keyboard detailing.

Also - I have not used any of the other cordless tools talked about here and elsewhere on the Internet, but my guess is - and this is an assumption, my guess is other tools probably also work great but the battery run-time and re-charge time will also be lacking.

To my knowledge, FLEX has the gold standard for battery technology. It comes from their parent company, Chervon. Chervon makes the EGO brand cordless tools.

I've asked Chervon for their EGO Leaf Blower, looks to me to be the best of class in the cordless category. They did give me their Power Station and I wrote a review for it here,

Review: EGO 3000 Watt Portable Power Station

So FLEX has really good battery technology. I'm sure others will catch-up.

10. Likes John U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by waddell64 View Post

Is the Dewalt DA a free spinning orbital polisher like the PC 7424,

Yes. It is free spinning.

And not that it matters as everyone spells RUPES, SONAX, FLEX incorrectly also - (these brands are ALL capital letters), but the spelling or typing is unique.

DeWALT

The D and the WALT are all capital. The letter e is lower case.

Just sayin....

Post Thanks / Like

Home depot has the tool only right now for $129. Easy way to dip your toes into cordless if you got ryobi tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I find many posts regarding certain products made by Mike were so tendentious.

Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    I find many posts regarding certain products made by Mike were so tendentious.

Was he wrong?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast