autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange discoloration/stains on leather seats

I recently picked up this S2000. These photos are AFTER cleaning with a medium bristle brush and griots interior cleaner. Sprayed on, agitated with a brush, wiped off with MF, repeat maybe 3-4 times. I can't seem to get them clean and uniform. This car was a beach car, so maybe it's caused by sunscreen? I'm just grasping at straws here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange discoloration/stains on leather seats

I wonder if Optimum Power Clean at full strength would workStrange discoloration/stains on leather seats Have you tried putting some leather conditioner on the spot after cleaning it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Stains can sometimes damage the leather, I'd try something a little stronger, Colourlock Mild Leather cleaner on that same bristle brush, then wipe clean with a damp cloth. Only when the stain disappears, condition or seal it.

If it doesn't, then it may be damaged and in need of some leather dye.

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in,

That doesn't look like Sun Tan Lotion or SPF Lotion staining to me.

I've cleaned and removed sun tan lotion staining our of leather that had built up over time, (years) and it didn't look like that. It was also gross to think about and clean. If it hadn't been for a good friend, I wouldn't have touched it.

Staining from sun tan lotion will be located a lot more UNIFORM and it will show up wherever your skin touches the seat or console or arm rests. It will tend to have a pattern that will resemble where your skin rests. THINK about how the skin on your arm would rest against a center console? Or how the skin on your two legs would rest against the face of the seat? Get the idea? It will be more uniform and mimic the size and pressure of your appendage pressing against the leather.

I don't know what could have caused the weird staining shown in your pictures. Like Klasse posted, you might want to try some different cleaners.

After you're all done cleaning - applying a leather dressing should shmoo over the appearance. It will darken ALL the leather and this will help to blend or camouflage-in the offending stain.

I've done a number of leather interiors using the Leatherique Treatment and while I didn't have to remove any stains - the end results were GREAT looking leather. I've also had great luck using 303 Multi Surface Cleaner on just about anything. To be honest - the damage shown in the leather of these seats in your Honda look more or less permanent.

Did you get a great deal on the car?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add that Griot's Garage have a product called Leather Rejuvinator, has more oils in it and geared towards restoring the finish of the leatherStrange discoloration/stains on leather seatsStrange discoloration/stains on leather seats Having used this product in the past I'll tell you a little goes a loooooong way, so work it in the affected area and to even things out around it, clean the entire seat and apply your regular leather conditioner while your at itStrange discoloration/stains on leather seatsStrange discoloration/stains on leather seats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"