autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do stones "bounce off" PPF, and not leave a mark?

A PPF installer told me that in many cases, stones will simply bounce off PPF without leaving a mark, because it is soft. (they didn't say this will ALWAYS happen, but they said because of this behaviour, there will be less marks than there would be without any PPF)
    Opinions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do stones "bounce off" PPF, and not leave a mark?

Just to be clear - I am concerned about marks/chips in the PPF itself - not the underlying surface. It is obvious that the PPF will provide good protection for the painted surface, but the only reason PPF will make financial sense for my decidedly NON exotic car is if the PPF itself is very resistant to stone chipping.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the factory PPF on rear quarter panels and had installed PPF on the front bumper and front hood area. I have no chips after 4 years but I don't do a lot of highway driving. You are more likely to get stone chips from highways then in city. I did pull off the factory PPF just last summer and had it redone, it was turning yellow and really showed abuse. I don't think the quality (thickness) of the factory PPF was up to snuff. Make sure it is a good quality 7 or 8 ml. I had 7ml expel and it has held up well. Also if you are doing correction tape the edge of the PPF so product doesn't start leaking under the edges.

Post Thanks / Like

They don’t bounce off, but many of the PPF’s have what they call “self healing” properties. Meaning that the mark disappears after a while. The big player in this market is XPEL. See their website.....
    Glen -

5. Thanks yello430 thanked for this post
    Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have PPF on my car and yes, the PPF is resistant to scratches and marks left by small pebbles and stones. PPF has self-healing properties so most scratches and marks will disappear once the PPF is heated by the sun.

Of course, a bigger stone can damage the PPF beyond its self healing abilities. But even in this worse case scenario, it is not that expensive to replace the PPF. My left front fender was damaged by someone parked next to me opening their door. They hit it really hard. The PPF protected the paint, but it had a small hole ripped in it. I had my local installer remove the damaged PPF and repalce it with a brand new piece. The whole process took an hour and cost $150 (parts and labor).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The quotes I've obtained so far are rather expensive, making it pointless (if it weren't for the self-healing aspect), because it's about the same price to simply repaint the bumper!
    My thinking, initially, was that if the PPF is cheap, then I'd simply replace it when it had lots of stone chips, but it's not as simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like

Most "pebbles" bounce. I've attached a 1/4" stone chip thru a thick PPF that did not bounce off my minivan.

I'm a believer that if you travel on the highway you need it. I installed it on the hood of my new minivan back in 2012. 100K miles later (2.5 yrs) the hood looked very nice.....the bumper cover (no PPF) was a sandblasted mess. I had an accident resulting in a new bumper cover and paint. 30 days later I had PPF installed and now 150K miles later it still looks very nice.... maybe 3 chips that you can see if you look for them.

My C7 Corvette at 45K miles has a number of spots/cuts from pebbles in the PPF. I could leave it in the garage and cry over it but it's made to be driven and that's what I do... it would be much worse without PPF.
    My friend's vettes with big name PPF's that are supposed to be cut proof have cuts too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do stones "bounce off" PPF, and not leave a mark?-chip-jpg  

9. Likes SNP209, glen e liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We got my wife a 2019 X5 in mineral white. In a year of ownership we got more stone chips than we had in the ENTIRE 7 previous years with our Acura MDX. I guess it's a combination of the paint and the way the air flows over the car. Anyway we got XPEL PPF and other than one hit from debris on the front bumper that put a slight tear in it, it has been flawless in terms of protection. My only issue is I have some dirty edges that show up on the white car.

Post Thanks / Like

Most replies have covered the benefits. I always said the next car I financed would get ppf on the front. When I got my ranger I found pre cut Kits on eBay so I figured I’d give it a shot. Overall it came out good and for a fraction of the cost. Is it perfect? No but I did the front bumper, leading edges of fender, a pillars, front of roof and all lower rockers for a fraction of what just the front nose cost from local shops.

Again I’m not a ppf install expert but for the price I paid and time it took me to do I’m happy with the results and am happy not thinking of paint chips when I drive. If I need to ever re do a piece I can do it on my own time and not need to have my truck at a shop for days.

I can say that the cost as others have mentioned is really labor. My truck is relatively flat so it’s straightforward. But I praise anyone who can free hand cut these pieces to some of the complex curves of modern cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    A PPF installer told me that in many cases, stones will simply bounce off PPF without leaving a mark, because it is soft. (they didn't say this will ALWAYS happen, but they said because of this behaviour, there will be less marks than there would be without any PPF)
    Opinions?
    •On the surface (ie. “that in many cases”):
    -I agree with what this PPF installer
    told you.

•Digging deeper...
    -All it means is that, in some cases,
    it may not always ring true. Why?

-The variations of the stones’ sizes; the
    rate of acceleration when they’re ‘thrown’;
    and the amount of force they exert upon
    impact; are a few points to consider.

{Another thought for your consideration:
    Take a gander at XPel’s Ultimate PPF.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

14. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast