autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Where not to spray iron remover on exterior?

I want to venture into iron remover for my 2018 Durango. I’ve never done iron remover.

So before I mess anything up, what specific exterior areas do I avoid spraying iron remover to not damage or stain anything?

Like maybe glass
    Headlights etc

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where not to spray iron remover on exterior?

Glass is ok. Avoid plastic trim and rubber trim. Those can sometimes get stained. I don't spray it on headlights either but any overspray never caused issues.

3. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hard not to spray on plastic when the plastic parts are in the middle of the panel and the bottom is all plastic lol , damn suvs!

In my BMW I try my best to spray on paint only but it does hit the rear plastic diffuser once it start to run down , on my Cadillac and Buick there is not way to avoid the iron remover from contacting plastic . Never had an issue with any of them. I never let the product sit longer than 5 minutes, as soon as it changes color , I start getting ready to rinse off , and this usually happens in the first 2 minutes.

I think the main issue comes from people leaving it there way too long and the product drying out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I appreciate it

My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Avoid any plastic coated "chrome" trim. It can be stained easily, or potentially removed.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I once bought a new 1994 Chrysler van. It was white and loaded with rail dust specks. The lower section of the van had a medium gray metallic matte plastic cladding around the entire lower section of the van.

Anyways, this was before I ever knew of iron removing products, or even clay. They may not have even been mainstream available back then, I don't know. The first time I ever used clay was in about 1997 and Iron X in about 2015.

Long story short, the only way I could remove the rail dust was by lightly wet-sanding and compounding with a rotary polisher and wool pad.

That was more work than I wanted to do so I returned to the dealer and they said they had a chemical that would remove the rail dust. I had never heard of such a thing at the time so I was a little skeptical. I was adamant with them and discussed any potential chemical damage... They assured me there would be none so I let them proceed.

About 2 hours later when they brought the van out and said they were done all of the lower panels were stained. I was furious. They said they would repaint all of the affected parts and I said no way. I argued with them until they agreed to order replacement trim pieces that were luckily available with the factory finish. I then installed all of the replacement parts myself... There was no way I trusted them for anything at that point.

Point being, I don't know what chemical they used, or how it might compare to today's iron removing products, but to this day I think of that experience whenever I use an iron removing product and proceed accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

If you’re worried about it dripping onto sensitive areas, you can always get IronX gel/paste from CarPro. Just apply it to the areas your want to remove iron via a sponge, wash mitt or MF.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for other replies good knowledge

Post Thanks / Like

Never had an issue with CarPro IronX staining. I don't spray directly on to glass rubber or plastic and I make sure I rinse throughly behind all trim and my next step is always a thorough wash.

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in,

I would avoid ANY anodized aluminum trim.

I've seen it stain. I've stained it.

I was lucky to be able to have removed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast