autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Basic question re Ceramic Coating vs Ceramic Spray Sealant

Hi, eveyrone,
    I have a basic but important question. I have used several different ceramic spray sealants and I am a big fan of them. My question has to do with comparing the level of protection provided by a ceramic coating to that of the ceramic spray sealants. I know that ceramic spray sealants are not nearly as durable as a coating. But if a ceramic spray sealant is applied every 2-3 months and also topped with a ceramic infused topper every other wash, how does the level of protection offered by such a sealant compare to the level of protection provided by a coating? Does the coating actually protect the paint better than a spray sealant, or is the amount of protection comparable, with the only main difference between the two being that the spray sealant won't last nearly as long?

Thank you,
    joebruin77

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Basic question re Ceramic Coating vs Ceramic Spray Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by joebruin77 View Post
    Hi, eveyrone,
    I have a basic but important question. I have used several different ceramic spray sealants and I am a big fan of them. My question has to do with comparing the level of protection provided by a ceramic coating to that of the ceramic spray sealants. I know that ceramic spray sealants are not nearly as durable as a coating. But if a ceramic spray sealant is applied every 2-3 months and also topped with a ceramic infused topper every other wash, how does the level of protection offered by such a sealant compare to the level of protection provided by a coating? Does the coating actually protect the paint better than a spray sealant, or is the amount of protection comparable, with the only main difference between the two being that the spray sealant won't last nearly as long?

Thank you,
    joebruin77
    I believe you answered your own question.

3. Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I'll share my 2 cents...

After working with a lot of actual paint coatings over the years - I think the best protection is from an actual application of a dedicated coating. It's the product and the process.

If you live in an area where nothing is attacking your car - for example an area of HIGH TRAFFIC POLLUTION like Orange County, California, or industrial pollution - a place where you have a lot of corrosive chemicals in the air that land on your car's paint as air-borne dirt that mixes with morning dew or in the form of polluted rain that lands on your car's paint, if these two causes of corrosion and contamination are NOT a problem where you live and you dry your car after washing, then the quick, easy spray on product would be fine.

I think it's mostly about if and how your car is attacked.

Yeah, sounds kind of weird but that's the fact of the matter.

5. Thanks joebruin77, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike in that an actual application of a dedicated product will provide the best protection. I'm a little skeptical when it comes to any "spray-on" miracle product. But that conclusion is based only on my reasoning and logic. I have no scientific evidence to support such conclusion.

As consumers, all we can really do is rely on the manufacturer's data for said product(s). Only the chemists/manufacturers know for sure and even then, only if they test their theories/products in a sound manner.

Regardless of product, or process, the level of protection starts deteriorating at the moment its application is completed. So, at what point during its life-cycle is the "protection" still adequate?

Then, how do you define protection? Protection from what? Sun, water spots, bird bombs, temperature extremes, dirt, chemicals, abrasion, and on-and-on. I have to believe that different products will rate higher in some categories and maybe not so high in others.

This topic reminds me a lot of "what is the best oil?" discussed on some mechanical forums. There is no real answer. Best for you and best for me could be two completely different things.

Bottom line - You just need to take whatever information is available, consider the source, assess that information, build-in your own safety margins, and then choose a product, method, and interval that you feel good about.

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas, joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a true coat product like CQUK on two cars, and then used many of the sprays on another 3 cars. . it’s all about how much effort you wanna put forth. I have no doubt that a true coating product offers more protection, and a lot of work upfront and a little work down the road with maintenance. HoweverI don’t mind every three or four months or even bi-monthly, laying on another coat of spray like blackfire Si02, or any of the Hydro spread products. Because it’s so easy, I’d rather do a little work every three months than a lot of work upfront and sacrifice a bit of protection. I believe sprays give you a good protection if you’re willing to do a 20-30 minute application or so every quarter.

I look for whatever I’m using to do one specific thing: and that is after a rain storm, the car almost looks like it is freshly detailed, the dirt just flies off the surface. Sprays do that well. I am in a climate that is easy on car finishes, and store in a condo garage so there’s no UV problem. That makes things a lot easier.
    Glen -

9. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A dedicated ceramic coating will last much longer with far less effort. It's not even close.

I've coated my family vehicles with products ranging from one of the early McKee's 37 coatings, to CanCoat, and two different versions of CQuarts UK. In the case of the McKee's and the CQuartz UK, they last years with nothing but routine washing for maintenance. In fact on one daughter's car, it only gets washed every couple months and the coating is still going strong 2+ years later! No ceramic spray sealant will give you that kind of durability. For people in a harsh winter climate, I don't know if you could even get through an average winter with a spray ceramic sealant. Frequent re-application of products and topers are great if the weather conditions allow, but many people don't have that option when winter hits.

I've not used a ceramic spray sealant, but I'd also question whether it would perform to the same levels as a dedicated coating. Right now I'm running a test of Wolfgang's SiO2 Paint Sealant on my car this winter. It's a GREAT product. Looks good, easy to apply, and seems to hold up well. However, despite it being a great sealant, I can see it doesn't have the same fantastic beading/sheeting you get from a coating, nor does it have the same self cleaning properties you typically find from a dedicated coating.

I wouldn't even say a dedicated coating requires that much more work than a sealant. When I used sealants I took an entire day, every six months, to clean/polish/seal one of our vehicles. With a coating I spend the same length of time, but only have to do it once every 18 months. My maintenance routine in-between major detailing hasn't changed a bit.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, BudgetPlan1 liked this post