autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this steering wheel deteriorating or just really nasty? At which point do I stop scrubbing?

I am currently working on a Dodge Caravan, and I am just curious to see at which point I should stop scrubbing the steering wheel. I scrubbed it with the Famous Detailing Brush as well as the green tooth brush.

Not much seems to come off with the Famous brush but quite a bit seems to come off with the green tooth brush. I am using Meguiar's APC 4:1.

The top of the steering wheel has deteriorated as you can see from the pictures so I will not be scrubbing much here but for the rest of the steering wheel I just want to be sure that I'm not removing any of the steering wheel material.

Any help you can provide will be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: Is this steering wheel deteriorating or just really nasty? At which point do I stop scrubbing?

Looks both to me,

Really grimy and also worn.

Sometimes the most you can do is all you can do.

3. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this steering wheel deteriorating or just really nasty? At which point do I stop scrubbing?

Looks like both but also that the factory coating over it is what is starting to come off. I'm not a fan of strong pH APC's on interiors as they can and will do that. Especially on older vehicles.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree. I think age of the vehicle is a factor here too. Even if the wheel is becoming cleaner, the factory coating on the wheel is probably failing too. That's a 90's vintage minivan by the looks of the interior and the quality of those vehicles wasn't good when new!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Looks both to me,

Really grimy and also worn.

Sometimes the most you can do is all you can do.

Thanks Mike. I spoke with the owner and we decided I'll just call it good where I'm at. I went ahead and rubbed the steering wheel down with some 303 Protectant as well just to see if that would help any. I got a little more off this way. I'll go back and buff it off here after a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Looks like both but also that the factory coating over it is what is starting to come off. I'm not a fan of strong pH APC's on interiors as they can and will do that. Especially on older vehicles.
    Thanks. I try not to use them as well. I resorted to the stronger mixture this time because I thought it would get the grime off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree. I think age of the vehicle is a factor here too. Even if the wheel is becoming cleaner, the factory coating on the wheel is probably failing too. That's a 90's vintage minivan by the looks of the interior and the quality of those vehicles wasn't good when new!
    Thank you. Its a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. I really appreciate your input and also its great to hear from some one who knows what the interiors were like when they were new. Is this steering wheel deteriorating or just really nasty? At which point do I stop scrubbing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN View Post
    Thank you. Its a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. I really appreciate your input and also its great to hear from some one who knows what the interiors were like when they were new. Is this steering wheel deteriorating or just really nasty? At which point do I stop scrubbing?

My parents still own TWO of those minivans in various trims from that generation. For a short period of time I owned a Dodge Stratus built around the same time period which used most of the same interior bits. Time is not their friend. Both of my parents vans have steering wheel covers on them for a reason!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with the concensus that it is both nasty and deteriorating. I had a steering wheel very similar on a detail a month ago. The build up was gross, and when I did get it "clean" it was deteriorated to some degree and not able to get it back to new.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

14. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least its not one of those synthetic steering wheels they used to use that would become sticky as they deteriorate and nothing I ever found would remove that stickiness.

16. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN, Eric7810 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast