autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPF

Post Thanks / Like

PPF

Is it necessary to protect PPF? If not protected how long should it last? Is there a "best" brand of PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF

I have Xpel on the front of my Camry that I had a another local detailer install (support the trade and small business). 10 year warranty, self-healing, won't yellow, etc. Xpel is one of the more common/popular brands across the country to my knowledge. I don't know that it's "necessary" to protect PPF, but I applied Dr. Beasley's PPF coating to my vehicle to keep the hydrophobic properties, and not have to use a separate product when I'm doing the coating maintenance for the rest since it all uses the same booster.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

3. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go to the website of the PPF manufacturer, they should list cleaning and care instructions for your particular brand of PPF.

Like Spikey Mike, I also have Xpel PPF. But I chose not to do a coating. At first, I tried protecting it with Xpel's liquid sealant. I did not care for this product because, despite my best of efforts to avoid it, some of the liquid dried under the edge of a plastic covering that I can't get off. From that experience, I decided to only use spray-on sealants. Whatever you use, just make sure it is PPF safe. If you want to go with the budget friendly option, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine will work just fine. I have also used a couple different ceramic-infused spray sealants with great results. After I wash the PPF, I have used Meguiars D156 as a drying aid for added protection between sealant applications.

5. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it necessary? No but why not go ahead and coat it. Most come with a hydrophobic layer. With that said it is not the most hydrophobic which is why most have it coated. PPF specific coatings are designed to be more flexible that a typical coating. Plenty of videos from GTechniq going into detail with their Halo PPF Coating. Avi told me that Cquartz Skin stays flexible over the PPF without hindering any of the PPF's qualities but stated the other Cquartz coatings would be fine to use. The benefit to Skin is how slick it is.

As far as longevity that is going to depend on the manufacturers claims. 10years is about the norm. You are going to have to research the so called "best". XPEL is commonly known. I heard Suntek is better in the aesthetics aspect as it has less orange peel compared to XPEL with comparible results. I believe Esoteric uses this brand.

7. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My PPF choice is XPEL Ultimate.

•I use PPF-specific cleaners/sealers from:
    -XPEL
    -Premier Protective Films International.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

9. Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Is it necessary? No but why not go ahead and coat it. Most come with a hydrophobic layer. With that said it is not the most hydrophobic which is why most have it coated. PPF specific coatings are designed to be more flexible that a typical coating. Plenty of videos from GTechniq going into detail with their Halo PPF Coating. Avi told me that Cquartz Skin stays flexible over the PPF without hindering any of the PPF's qualities but stated the other Cquartz coatings would be fine to use. The benefit to Skin is how slick it is.

As far as longevity that is going to depend on the manufacturers claims. 10years is about the norm. You are going to have to research the so called "best". XPEL is commonly known. I heard Suntek is better in the aesthetics aspect as it has less orange peel compared to XPEL with comparible results. I believe Esoteric uses this brand.
    So if I have perfectly polished paint (wet sanded). PPF will add orange peel?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it will add orange peel. Some brands more than others. Some add very little but always adds some.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    So if I have perfectly polished paint (wet
    sanded) PPF will add orange peel?
    I’ve never had any of XPEL’s PPF add
    any orange peel to my vehicles. I am
    complety satisfied with their products.

Of course: YMMV

Couple of hood/fender shots of XPEL Ultimate;
    (It’s been on for 5 1/2 years)

From this:

To this:

Here’s a shot of some “pre-Ultimate” XPEL:
    (It’s been on for 10 years)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

13. Likes Thomkirby, Vegas Transplant liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Bob, I have been extremely satisfied with my Xpel Ultimate PPF. I have had it for 2 years on a vehicle that is parked outside 24/7 and it looks just as amazing as it did after it was installed. Xpel's films come with a 10 year warranty that is transferrable to a new owner if I sell the car before the warranty expires. And my installer recommended Xpel in part because they really stand behind their film. He said that if there is ever a problem with the film, Xpel will replace it on their dime.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'll chime in and confuse all. I started with Suntek on the front bumper and about 20-inches up the hood. After about 3-years it started showing more color (yellowing). My original installer had closed shop so I visited another one that was doing PPF. They were authorized both for Suntek and Xpel. They took pictures and contacted Suntek. Suntek honored their 5-year warranty and provided the replacement materials to the new installer I selected. That job was fine and at the same time I requested they install a full hood only and for that went with the Xpel.

Now both sections were equal quality and both had 10-year warranties from yellowing. 60-days afterwards a car on the highway threw something up and turned out to put a tear in the hood about the size of a small pea. That was a few years ago now and still going strong except that hole and minor dent.

Now back to your first question, should you protect the PPF? I do and have used the Carpro SKIN topper but after about a year, switched over the GTechniq HALO. I am pleased more with the HALO than the SKIN, but we are talking about very minor differences. To top that off every few washes I use the PBL Surface Coating.

Still happy with both products of PPF on the car. And also have the Suntek on the front of my F150 too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.