autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Was I foolish to buy it?

I am retired due to a disability. (I fall down and go boom at work and hurt my noggin) Basically, I am relatively okay, I just tire easily and sometimes I get confused. For some reason, the doc won't let me drive by myself anymore. Just because I can't remember where I came from or where I am going. Sheesh, give a guy a break!! That is what Navigation is for!! So what if I can't remember what, or if I ate breakfast this morning.

But, seriously, I love to work on my vehicles. Snowmobiles, my 2011 F-150, my new 2021 Colorado Canyon Denali, and hopefully a side by side next year. I have retained all my technical knowledge and can look up how to do things. I just can't retain much new knowledge. That's what the internet is for, right?

And, I know how to remodel my house and pass inspection, which is a good thing. It just takes a bit longer.

So... back to my question.

I have been looking for a DA polisher for a long time (at least I think I have) and the Mother's Wax Attack 2 has always looked promising. Since I finally got my Disability approved after 5 years, I decided to splurge and get some detailing stuff to look after my toys, er, I mean vehicles.

I got the Wax Attack 2 in today's UPS shipment, along with a few other things. And, looking at it, I have a few questions.

Am I limiting myself at to what I can expect from this polisher?
    Can it accept different pads or am I stuck with using pads designed for the Wax Attack?
    I presume I can use different products from other manufacturers, can I get more aggressive in compounds and polishes?
    Also, can I use Ceramic products as well as Wax products?

I plan on doing my own stuff, but, may do some friends and neighbors cars/trucks as all I have is time. I am NOT a professional by any intents or purposes. I just love washing cars and making them shine.

I remember switching from dish soap to car soap and how it made a difference in the depth of shine when I washed my parent's cars in the early 70's. I use my paper route money to by my own car wash soap as my dad said just use the Palmolive from the kitchen sink. (Madge used it to soak her nails in an old TV commercial- I can remember old stuff with no problem, don't ask me what I did when my kids came out last spring...or what I did yesterday)

Discovering Clay Bars was like getting struck my lightning. I remember washing my car and claying it, and then doing 3 other cars that weekend up at our cabin. I couldn't believe the difference it made in the feel of the finish. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's back in Minnesota.

Now I have Foam Cannon's a lower pressure, electric pressure washer, all sorts of micro fiber towels, a whole bunch of detail brushes. And other things to help me keep the car's clean.

I discovered that if you use spray wax on the inside of a snow blower, it will clog less often. Same for a lawn mower.

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes mbkite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Was I foolish to buy it?

It looks as though it will compound. Couldn’t find the throw..... probably 8’ish mm?

It looks like it would be a pain in the arse trying to use on vertical panels. Also the pads are proprietary so i’m guessing you can’t use other pads on it.

For rhe price i would return amd pick up a griots g9. Standard design, use any pads, lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ktown,

Congratulations on wanting to be outside breathing the fresh air and finding "driveway therapy"!

Do you have a stool w/casters to sit on and roll around? I don't have the best knees but I can "roll" around a car for hours with no strain on the knees from bending. In your case it will help you from going "boom" from standing and bending.

I agree with Coatingsarecrack. A traditional styled polisher will be allow you more options.

6. Thanks ktown thanked for this post
    Likes ktown liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Return it. There are so many polishers/buffers out there that will better serve you. That one is extremely limited in its use, pads, accessories, etc. It will make the work harder instead of providing the enjoyment you are seeking.

I'm glad you finally got the disability approved, I know it's a long fight. I'm sorry that you bonked your gourd hard enough that you have to deal with the problems.
    Rick....now in North Texas

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent found that much info on the pads, but it does not look like the regular pads available online , for that reason alone I would not buy this unit.

I have a griots and it costs the same and its much nicer and friendly to use

10. Likes RTexasF, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

We offer the Wax Attack 2 to simplify paint correction for folks who aren’t used to compounding and polishing and don’t want to invest a week’s pay in a machine. The pads and products were developed to work together, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally mixing up the pads and products.

It’s a simple, stupid-proof system that can’t damage your paint.

No, it’s not a Flex or Rupes. But, if you want to make your car look better a couple times a year without worrying about creating more severe problems, it’s a great tool. If you’re asking about other compounds, polishes and pads, you’re probably not the targeted user for the tool.

Not everyone wants to, or is able to, spend $500+ for a machine, a dozen different pads, and 5 or 6 different bottles of products. Additional pads are available, and they’re inexpensive.

The Wax Attack 2 was never marketed as a prosumer machine. It fills a niche for the occasional user who wants to detail his car without breaking the bank. Don’t poo-poo it if you haven’t tried it or don’t fit the demographic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    We offer the Wax Attack 2 to simplify paint correction for folks who aren’t used to compounding and polishing and don’t want to invest a week’s pay in a machine. The pads and products were developed to work together, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally mixing up the pads and products.

No, it’s not a Flex or Rupes. But, if you want to make your car look better a couple times a year without worrying about creating more severe problems, it’s a great tool. If you’re asking about other compounds, polishes and pads, you’re probably not the targeted user for the tool.

Not everyone wants to, or is able to, spend $500+ for a machine, a dozen different pads, and 5 or 6 different bottles of products. Additional pads are available, and they’re inexpensive.

The Wax Attack 2 was never marketed as a prosumer machine. It fills a niche for the occasional user who wants to detail his car without breaking the bank. Don’t poo-poo it if you haven’t tried it or don’t fit the demographic.
    there is quite a few machines under "500" dollars that can do quite a bit. I do' not want to throw out names out there but there is a list under 200$ that is able to do quite a bit more.

I can see the demographics you are targeting but you are in a detailing forum where people want to learn a bit more than just close your eyes and turn the machine on , so if someone comes here and asks about a product people are going to be a little more educated to give their thoughts and unfortunately or fortunately ( depending on which side your are) compare this product to other products in the market around that price range. That is the nature of the beast.

You are right that I have not try the product yet and its not fair to poo-poo it but there are a few flaws already in the product that I'm seeing . I went to the website and I already have some questions. It took me too long to find out if the pads are the same pads others DA polishers or orbital are using with the Velcro and I still couldnt find a straight answer, but it looks like it is a pad made for that product specifically , the OP himself was not sure if the pads are interchangeable , that is a bit misleading and like it or not , it does represent a problem , you are targeting a beginner , perfect, but you are not giving him a chance to advance if he wanted to , he would have to buy a different product all alone , that to me is a problem. I personally like products that can allow me to progress if I want to .
    There is other flaws that I can pick like all the same pads ( compound, polish , wax) , the design itself seems a bit odd to use .

I m sure the product works for what it is intended to do , but for someone that already took the time to open up an account and write an extensive message on how he would like to learn and progress , this is probably not a good product . You said it yourself , it is a product design for a different demographic , one that probably does not check these forums too much.

This is probably a product I would purchase for someone that just want a quick job , but as soon as this person is checking out online forums , posting messages , wanting to do other cars and checking out videos , this is probably not the correct product . Its not rocket science to understand the difference between compound, polish and wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

Hmm....I'm just going to copy and paste this from the description of the product found on Mother's website:

This pro-grade polisher is designed to eliminate vibrations to provide a smooth and safe operation for polishing and waxing your paint.

Notice the words "pro-grade" in there? Sure sounds like you're trying to target a prosumer market there. The simple fact is that there are better, affordable tools for this machine's purpose. I guess if you really place zero value on your time, and money is of the utmost importance, then go ahead and get this tool so you can spend 3 days trying to "correct" your paint. Otherwise you can get a very nice Griot's Garage tool for slightly more and see results much more quickly and just as safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Was I foolish to buy it?

Paint polishing made simple!

Mothers Wax Attack 2 Power Pro Polisher offers a safe, easy way to polish your vehicle using the power and versatility of a dual action polisher. Designed for the do-it-yourself wax enthusiast that wants to take the simple approach to polishing and waxing their car, the Mothers Wax Attack 2 Power Pro Polisher is an alterative to dual action polishing systems that require more experience at a higher cost of entry. At just over a hundred bucks, the Mothers Wax Attack 2 is the most cost-effective complete system for compounding, polishing and waxing your vehicle. It’s so safe and easy that anyone can do it!

That’s the description right here on Autogeek.^

Notice the words “Polishing made simple” and “do it yourself enthusiast”

I think this polisher bundle totally makes sense for its intended target audience and that includes people who would come here to find it... Just think for a second about the wife who wants to buy her husband a gift? If he loves his car but has never had a polisher and doesn’t know the difference between a swirl and a squirrel, then this could very well be the perfect gift for him.

Also keep in mind that same wife knows absolutely nothing about pads, products, nor is really looking to take on a purchase that could quikly amount to $250-$300 dollars or even more.

This polishing bundle is a total of $120 dollars and comes with everything except towels and a claybar. But for $120 dollars who’s complaining?? The next comparable bundle comes in at $199 dollars sale price [$249 reg. price] and it only goes up from there. And those bundles don’t include a lsp.

This bundle makes sense for the intended buyer at $120 bucks.
    Btw it has 11 ratings and they’re all 5 Stars. Apparently the people who bought it are happy.

-Correction: It Does include microfiber towels. What more does Average Joe want for $120 bucks??

15. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This would also be a great gift for a kid venturing into the world of detailing for the very first time. I wish there was something like this when I was starting out.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

17. Thanks ktown thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, ktown liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3