autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

graphene and spray ceramic coatings and microfiber towels

I was trying to find an answer online for this and surprisingly there isn't much information on this. It got me thinking , do you guys discard or demote your microfiber after application of these products ( graphene , spray ceramic coatings)

I know that for a 2 year old or even a lite coatings , it is recommended to discard or demote your towels after application because the product hardens on the towel ,etc ,etc , which makes sense, and it seems like an inconvenience but doing it once a year is a trade in for longer protection... You could argue some lite coatings barely make it to a year .

However these graphene products and spray ceramic products seem to last much less than a year, sometimes less than 6 months , so I find hard to justify demoting towels every 6 months or less just to add protection. Towels are not super expensive for the cost can easily add up in a year . In that sense using a silica sealant every 3 months as a base product with a booster drying aid may actually be better in the long run?...

Whats your opinion on this?

I asked one of the stores that sell detail products and they told me that if you wash the towels after application they are fine. It is still a bit of inconvenience but doable. I asked another shop that also sells this product and they recommend demoting the towels after application , they were nice enough to offer me a pack of 10 towels for 30 $ . The spray ceramic coating I was looking at didnt seem to appealing after adding the towel pricing haha

Post Thanks / Like

Re: graphene and spray ceramic coatings and microfiber towels

”There are risks and costs to action”.
    ~John F. Kennedy

YW

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

There is not enough solids in these products to harden up in the towel. If anything your towels will become hydrophobic over time. If it was a product like Gyeon CanCoat and you were using a towel to apply it then those towels would get crusty.

4. Thanks rick100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    There is not enough solids in these products to harden up in the towel. If anything your towels will become hydrophobic over time. If it was a product like Gyeon CanCoat and you were using a towel to apply it then those towels would get crusty.
    I was actually looking at tac systems moonlight or the last coat black ice, they seem very appealing for what I want out of a standalone product . But I m planning on doing more than 1 car , probably 4 or 5 and this is where the microfiber towels come in mind. Not sure I want to discard that many towels twice a year .

Post Thanks / Like

With the exception of some full blown ceramic coatings which the mf towels should not be reused except for grunge work. Most spray on ceramic and lite coating removal mf's can be reused. Just fill a bucket with some apc and you can wash at your convenience.

7. Thanks rick100 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    With the exception of some full blown ceramic coatings which the mf towels should not be reused except for grunge work. Most spray on ceramic and lite coating removal mf's can be reused. Just fill a bucket with some apc and you can wash at your convenience.
    I see. Ok I ll give it a try! thanks

Post Thanks / Like

After using any of the SI02 sprays, I fill a water bucket 1/2 way and put it in a laundry detergent tide pod… I then soak all the towels for an hour or two, rinse them out and then wash them, so far They are holding up.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

•IMO:
    -”The cost of doing business” includes the
    costs associated with ‘raw materials’.

-How large of a role, does the cost of a
    microfiber towel play, in determining if
    you are/will be/or stay profitable, or not?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •IMO:
    -”The cost of doing business” includes the
    costs associated with ‘raw materials’.

-How large of a role, does the cost of a
    microfiber towel play, in determining if
    you are/will be/or stay profitable, or not?

Bob

I don't do this for money , its all free . I have 3 cars, my brother has 1 and my dad has 2. They help me with the mechanical maintenance of the car ( brakes, change parts) and interior cleaning ( I hate interior cleaning) , so they have more tools than me for that and I help them with the exterior cleaning of the car type of thing. I may chip in for tools and they also chip in for some exterior cleaning stuff.

I have even done my cousins and sister cars too , maybe not too involved on those, but a basic wash , decontamination and some type of sealant. Maybe some paint correction . I avoid doing too much with their cars. They actually have to chase me for a while before I take on their cars , such a pain , they have high expectations and I just do not think they understand all the work involved and the cost of the products ...

I have been approach by some friends to do this for money but I refuse to do it for money , peoples expectations are too high, they think every little scratch can be removed and their cars are going to look perfect at the end and I put too much pressure on myself to impress people , I would feel very mad if I spent so much time trying to make the car perfect to find a person not liking the end result, or nitpicking on little thing .it would take the fun out of it if it was done for money , at least for me.

Only reason I do my brothers and dad car more often is because they help me and they know that I m still learning so they are ok if I mess up their cars , just like I m ok if they break something trying to fix my car. I m very easy going in that regards

Post Thanks / Like

Just did moonlight in a test. Me personally, anything to apply the coating i discard. Coating removal towels get soaked in snappy clean.

For sio2/graphene sealants just soak in a bucket with a couple ounces of APC. Will rry pure rinseless next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk