autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DP Glass coating issue?

Just making sure it isn't me. But I applied a window coating for the first time and I wish I didn't. First let me say, the water does bead like it was suppose to during heavy rain. But just having to clean off morning dew, or light sprinkles, or spraying the washer fluid. The windshield wipers skip and streak awful and leave a heavy film on the windshield. Did not do it before. Any input? I don't see any current reviews on it so I figured I'd post and ask

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DP Glass coating issue?

And yes, I know the point of coatings is to limit the use of the wipers. But its Florida, we have dew and need to use washer fluid

Mike Phillips

I have not heard of this before?

I use Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating for a glass coating. Always seems to work great for me and no wiper chatter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I have not heard of this before?

I use Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating for a glass coating. Always seems to work great for me and no wiper chatter.

Thanks Mike, and I even polished the windshield before. Then did the process as noted in the instructions. Not sure if I'm just the unlucky one. But its the only product I haven't enjoyed working with. And I have tons of autogeek ordered stuff. It does work for the water moving though. Thats for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a Glass Coating applied to my windshield, but it could be the drop in temperature lately down here in Florida. During cold fronts I've noticed my wipers slightly chatter. I never have this issue when it's warm or hot outside. I also get new wiper blades about every 6 months. I've had this issue on several vehicles over the years too. I actually have a factory recall on my 2020 Ram for the wiper arms. The wiper arms aren't torqued down to factory specs. I will get this taken care of very soon and see if helps on my truck.

Could also be that your wiper blades are dirty, the wiper arm is slightly bent or the wiper blades need to be replaced.

Did you clay / polish the glass surface first before applying the DP Glass Coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the glass and the wipers. I've done multiple cars and most were fine, I had 2 that had issues like you describe (and BTW, different brand of coating, I used McKee's 37). One of the cars I fixed the chatter with new wipers, that were better quality than OEM. The other I just waited a bit and the chatter went away, probably won't coat that one again.

I think coating the glass is normally a good call but for some cars it ends up not being good. A glass sealant could be better for those.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redfireshaker06 View Post
    Just making sure it isn't me. But I applied a window coating for the first time and I wish I didn't. First let me say, the water does bead like it was suppose to during heavy rain. But just having to clean off morning dew, or light sprinkles, or spraying the washer fluid. The windshield wipers skip and streak awful and leave a heavy film on the windshield. Did not do it before. Any input? I don't see any current reviews on it so I figured I'd post and ask
    Used it a couple times on different vehicles with no chatter. How old are your blades? Maybe try cleaniing them. If that doesn’t work try a new pair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for being suspect about the wiper blade cleanliness or age. But who knows, weird things happen from vehicle to vehicle (or windshield to windshield).

10. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem and it ended up being wax residue. I'm not sure if this is applicable here but once I stripped the glass using glass polish and IPA the coating started working as expected. I also used new blades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I had a similar problem and it ended up being wax residue. I'm not sure if this is applicable here but once I stripped the glass using glass polish and IPA the coating started working as expected. I also used new blades.
    This is an interesting point and brings up a question for the OP. What are you using for car wash soap?

There was a period of time when I found bottles of McKee's 37 and Blackfire wash and wax products in my inventory. The downside to those products is the wax/sealant in them ends up on your windshield. For me this caused symptoms exactly like what were described, i.e. the smearing in misty/dewy/snowy conditions and terrible wiper chatter. Once I chemically stripped the glass, everything was fine.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast