autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

what is your opinion on car pro gliss as standalone product

I was wondering why car pro gliss seems to get less attention than car pro lite and in some degree less attention than car pro cquart uk

In theory it is marketed as a longer coating than cquartz lite and at the same time it is supposed to fix some of the issues of a regular coating , like water spotting ,slickness and even gloss
    Still I see that the only time gliss is showcase or talk about is when you apply it over cquartz uk.

Unless Im reading this wrong, wouldn't Gliss be better than lite and in some aspects even better than uk . It seems to me that Gliss is the do it all type of coating ( decent durability , gloss, slickness, no water spotting, easy application), a perfect standalone product.
    Even when I spoke to the car pro guys themselves, they give you all the benefits of gliss , but for whatever reason they market this more as a topper than a standalone product .

What am I missing here with gliss? ...

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is your opinion on car pro gliss as standalone product

Lite is advertised as 6+ months. It won't fail at exactly 6 months. CarPro is conservative in their longevity claims. They stated the true longevity claim is 12-18 months. The backbone of the Lite formula is UK 3.0 which we all know is a durable coating. Their is some TiO2 in the formula to aid in the look of the coating. Perhaps they will revise the formula to include SiC now that they moved away from TiO2. That is a whole speculation for another time.

One thing to note is that Lite will harden up like UK 3.0. Gliss does not harden up the applicator and has been known to be on the soft side when it comes to being easily marred.

Gliss was revised to V2 as CarPro was having inconsistent durability with it. It does do a better job of anti-water spotting and of course it is slicker than Lite. CarPro posted an image and went into detail on their instagram page essentially stating to think of Gliss as a 1 year application of Reload rather than monthly applications of Reload. Which makes it an excellent topper. The previous version of UK was more susceptible to water spots than 3.0.

One thing to note is that Gliss can be removed by Tarx so it is not as chemically resistant as Lite.

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Lite is advertised as 6+ months. It won't fail at exactly 6 months. CarPro is conservative in their longevity claims. They stated the true longevity claim is 12-18 months. The backbone of the Lite formula is UK 3.0 which we all know is a durable coating. Their is some TiO2 in the formula to aid in the look of the coating. Perhaps they will revise the formula to include SiC now that they moved away from TiO2. That is a whole speculation for another time.

One thing to note is that Lite will harden up like UK 3.0. Gliss does not harden up the applicator and has been known to be on the soft side when it comes to being easily marred.

Gliss was revised to V2 as CarPro was having inconsistent durability with it. It does do a better job of anti-water spotting and of course it is slicker than Lite. CarPro posted an image and went into detail on their instagram page essentially stating to think of Gliss as a 1 year application of Reload rather than monthly applications of Reload. Which makes it an excellent topper. The previous version of UK was more susceptible to water spots than 3.0.

One thing to note is that Gliss can be removed by Tarx so it is not as chemically resistant as Lite.

that is the information I was looking for , it does make sense now. I was having a hard time understanding the purpose of gliss

Having said that, when I asked the store about putting gliss on top of lite, they recommended putting lite on of gliss. Weird but I guess if you are putting lite , reload on top would just make more sense .

6. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds odd they would recommend lite on top of Gliss. Should be the other way around.

Found the screenshot I took

8. Thanks rick100 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand where the OP is coming from. Here is the deal. Personally? I think SiO2 is way over hyped. Yes it's glossy, yes it's chemical resistant, but oddly a decent thunderstorm and not being able to detail your car immediately afterwards may cause water etching so badly on some paints that you have to compound the whole car. How do i know this? It happened to me.

Here is an example... My Wife's truck has 2 coats of UK 3.0 and after it cured (another weakness of SiO2 products) 7 days later we had some thunderstorms off and on for about a week. When we finally got a chance to clean the truck the water spots were so bad i had to compound pretty much the whole truck.

Now my car we waxed the day before i had the UK 3.0 put on my wife's truck. We waxed my car with a polyamino silicone wax (DG 601/105 combo) and my car too was outside in the same thunderstorms but ironically when we went to wash my car ZERO water etchings.

I understand the DG products might not be as chemical resistant or whatever but when my wife and I saw the difference between the 2 vehicles? Well we ditched the SiO2 and haven't looked back.

The kicker too? Price. $12 for DG 105 and $18 for 601 and it's enough product to do probably 6-8 cars.

We apply the DG every 3-4 months... It's more frequent but it's so much easier to use. We don't mind.

I have used Gliss as well. It's a carbon based polymer nano coating similar to Xzilon. Xzilon though is even more slick than Gliss. Why people mock Xzilon so much? Because it's sold at dealerships and they over sell the product just like detailers do on SiO2.

Anyway,. I would much rather use Gliss or Xzilon vs SiO2. It's less expensive, not as much prep and though you lose some chemical resistance you don't have nearly the water spot issues.

This is real world use here folks. I'm not talking garage queens or cars owned by finatics that coat their cars then wipe them down every other day.

For the person that actually drives their car, works a job where they can't take 3 days to get the car ready for a coating but you still want the protection? Go with polyamino silicone base wax. If you want to experiment on your own and try a coating for the novice? The carbon polymer based coatings like Gliss and Xzilon are great choices.

Yes i will probably get flamed here by the Si02 fan boys but i use what works for vehicles that work. Been tried and true so far and I'm saving money to boot. Cars look great as well... And for those asking my wife's truck and my car are both a similar red 2 stage OEM paint.

To each their own. Just my teeth cents ��

10. Likes dlc95, rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EppyzMK6 View Post
    I understand where the OP is coming from. Here is the deal. Personally? I think SiO2 is way over hyped. Yes it's glossy, yes it's chemical resistant, but oddly a decent thunderstorm and not being able to detail your car immediately afterwards may cause water etching so badly on some paints that you have to compound the whole car. How do i know this? It happened to me.

Here is an example... My Wife's truck has 2 coats of UK 3.0 and after it cured (another weakness of SiO2 products) 7 days later we had some thunderstorms off and on for about a week. When we finally got a chance to clean the truck the water spots were so bad i had to compound pretty much the whole truck.

Now my car we waxed the day before i had the UK 3.0 put on my wife's truck. We waxed my car with a polyamino silicone wax (DG 601/105 combo) and my car too was outside in the same thunderstorms but ironically when we went to wash my car ZERO water etchings.

I understand the DG products might not be as chemical resistant or whatever but when my wife and I saw the difference between the 2 vehicles? Well we ditched the SiO2 and haven't looked back.

The kicker too? Price. $12 for DG 105 and $18 for 601 and it's enough product to do probably 6-8 cars.

We apply the DG every 3-4 months... It's more frequent but it's so much easier to use. We don't mind.

I have used Gliss as well. It's a carbon based polymer nano coating similar to Xzilon. Xzilon though is even more slick than Gliss. Why people mock Xzilon so much? Because it's sold at dealerships and they over sell the product just like detailers do on SiO2.

Anyway,. I would much rather use Gliss or Xzilon vs SiO2. It's less expensive, not as much prep and though you lose some chemical resistance you don't have nearly the water spot issues.

This is real world use here folks. I'm not talking garage queens or cars owned by finatics that coat their cars then wipe them down every other day.

For the person that actually drives their car, works a job where they can't take 3 days to get the car ready for a coating but you still want the protection? Go with polyamino silicone base wax. If you want to experiment on your own and try a coating for the novice? The carbon polymer based coatings like Gliss and Xzilon are great choices.

Yes i will probably get flamed here by the Si02 fan boys but i use what works for vehicles that work. Been tried and true so far and I'm saving money to boot. Cars look great as well... And for those asking my wife's truck and my car are both a similar red 2 stage OEM paint.

To each their own. Just my teeth cents ��
    does gliss have issues with high spots? is application easier than a regular coating?

Post Thanks / Like

I love it!

Of the Cquartz coatings I've used it was the easiest to work with.

It doesn't have the hardness or resiliency of 3.0 or Lite even, but it will hang on the paint for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

how easy is it to apply? Any issue with level or missed spots?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

A little off topic but how would you compare carpro SIC and gyeon pure Mike? I noticed carpro-us recommends only "Keep surface dry for at least 3 hours after application (For best results keep dry for 24 hours)." And you don't need to top it. How does it stack up to pure EVO in application and looks? I've been looking at it hard just because i'm more of a carpro fan boy overall lol

Corey said in the SIC video it looks like it is holding up just as long as UK. I only want it to last 12-14mths anyhow. But my maintenance game in not on par with someone like yourself. But i plan to do more washing this year in the warmer mths but its really hard in the winter mths here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    how easy is it to apply? Any issue with level or missed spots?
    I have only applied it to a few vehicles and I have not had any issues with leveling or high spots. It's very forgiving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast