autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Small Rotary vs DA

I have been considering a Griot’s rotary for tight areas. I have no experience with rotary tools. How likely am I to do damage with a rotary?

If I put a 2” backing plate on my older 3” Griot’s, can I get the same level of correction with lots of patience? I have been tilting the 3” to get into creases and tight spots but the old DA stalls easily.

Griot’s rotary hasn’t been out long so few reviews available. Anyone have experience?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small Rotary vs DA

Without much experience with a rotary I’d say the da that stall is your friend,just about every time I use a 2 or 3” pad I’m near an edge or not on a flat surface. When you go cranking on these areas trouble can follow, best advice I can give you is get some time behind the tool and practice, I can definitely do a decent job with the thinner pads on the da especially microfiber pads

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, probably about the same correction with a DA with a 2" BP/pad as a small rotary. The plus with the rotary you don't have the extra footprint you get with a random orbital, so you can be more precise. And if you keep the pad moving with a small rotary you don't have to worry about damaging the paint.
    I have a cordless mini rotary (not sold on AG) and it works great for small areas and headlight.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I just used my mini rotary with an extension bar on my painted rims - the last few days. i did get some buffing trails but you can't see them - from a distance - so i never tried to clean it up - 4 year old rims with some road rash. So from my limited experience start with light pads and speeds. And there's no way i could get my G8 in those areas.

Maybe its confirmation bias but a few mths ago i polished one headlight with my rotary and one with the G8 mini. I really felt i could see the difference but it was nothing an average person would see. I redone the rotary headlight with the G8.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I think I will try a 2” backing plate on my DA. Low cost/low risk option.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneK View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think I will try a 2” backing plate on my DA. Low cost/low risk option.
    I love the 2 inch backing plate. I used it more then the 3 inch so far. The G8 is powerful, fun machine.