autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

How to remove Pin stripes

I have some pin stripes on the recently acquired FJ Cruiser It has some tacky pin stripes. Probably factory or dealer installed. Some of the pin stripping came off during the spray paint removal. I want to remove the rest of the Pin stripping. Any ideas on the best way to take it off. Any suggestions. Thanks. Phil

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Silver with White Top

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove Pin stripes

You can use a rubber wheel I can’t recall the actual name but it’s cream colored attachment for a die grinder.

A heat gun works sort of alright but if it’s an old stripe it’s a pain in the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    I want to remove the rest of the Pin
    stripping. Any ideas on the best way
    to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by JT Moto View Post
    You can use a rubber wheel I can’t recall
    the actual name but it’s cream colored
    attachment for a die grinder.
    ^^^This

”Eraser Wheel Pinstripe/Decal Removal Tool”
    {Use w/die grinders; drill motors; or their ilk.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes JT Moto, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got an eraser wheel. Conclusion, it worked great. A couple of tips. I did one side of the truck at night. Much more work to get the pin strips off. Did the other side today, truck was sitting in the sun, pin stripes came off much faster and cleaner.

Paint residue from the "peaceful protest" was imbedded between the pin stripes. I used Chemical Guys V 32 and a micro fiber towel to rub out the remaining paint that was stuck between the pin stripes. I followed up with Rupes Blue Course polish with a blue Rupes pad to clean up the paint residue and the remaining pin stripe adhesive, I couldn't find our Goof Off.

It cleaned up nicely. There are impressions of the pin stripes in the clear coat. It is an off-road vehicle, but I would still like to polish out the paint to make it look as good as possible. I may have to wet sand a bit to level out the surface. Truck looks much better without the black and tan pin stripes........Thanks for the input. Phil

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post

It cleaned up nicely. There are impressions of the pin stripes in the clear coat. It is an off-road vehicle, but I would still like to polish out the paint to make it look as good as possible. I may have to wet sand a bit to level out the surface. Truck looks much better without the black and tan pin stripes........Thanks for the input. Phil

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
    A little wet sanding is what I have done in the past to solve that problem as well. Someone else may chime in with a better idea, but your plan is how I’ve handled it.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Exercise a little caution with the stripe off wheels. Still not sure what was the exact culprit, but one of my guys attempted to remove some silver pin stripping off a Glory Red Tint Coat 2018 Silverado, heat of the day, full sun, truck had been outside all morning. So not sure if it was the heat or the tri-coat paint or the years old pin stripping or just poor technique, but he burned the paint straight down the entire side. Cost me $2,700 in repainting.

8. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If they are adhesive pinstripes, I'd used a plastic razor blade. If you use the eraser tool with a drill, be damn careful because it will burn through a clear coat in a heart beat.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    Exercise a little caution with the stripe off wheels. Still not sure what was the exact culprit, but one of my guys attempted to remove some silver pin stripping off a Glory Red Tint Coat 2018 Silverado, heat of the day, full sun, truck had been outside all morning. So not sure if it was the heat or the tri-coat paint or the years old pin stripping or just poor technique, but he burned the paint straight down the entire side. Cost me $2,700 in repainting.
    Absolutley poor technique
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BurnsDetailing View Post
    Exactly. Those things will burn through paint like nothing. I used one to try removing graphics off of a helmet I was custom painting. It burned the graphic off, and left divots in some spots despite my being very careful. That was the first and last time I used it.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    Exactly. Those things will burn through paint like nothing. I used one to try removing graphics off of a helmet I was custom painting. It burned the graphic off, and left divots in some spots despite my being very careful. That was the first and last time I used it.
    They work great, need to keep them moving.
    Low rpms also, they don't need to spin high rpms. Low rpms will grab adhesive just fine. Use a power drill
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine