autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Super Member WEST SIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sealant for Bird bombs

    So after reading another post about bird bombs and specifically it etching WGDGPS was wondering what's best.
    For the ones I have Duragloss 105, Klasse KSG , WGDGPS and Collinite 845/476 all say they protect against bird droppings except WGDGPS.
    I was ready to use the WGDGPS but now not so sure.

  2. #2
    Super Member FUNX650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    20,763
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    •Bird bombs must always be removed ASAP.

    -Sealants will provide just a wee little bit
    of extra time to “git ‘er done”...

    How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint?


    Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

  3. #3
    Super Member WEST SIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Bird bombs must always be removed ASAP.

    -Sealants will provide just a wee little bit
    of extra time to “git ‘er done”...

    How long does it take for a bird dropping to etch paint?


    Bob
    Wow a 10 year old post and it still holds true.
    Are coatings any better? I guess if it eats clear coat/paint nothing is bulletproof.
    I just may continue with what I have.

    Thanks
    Bob

    PS I just noticed the time difference
    Last edited by WEST SIDE; 11-25-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: comment

  4. #4
    Super Member davidc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    I have had etching with sealants. Zaino and Duragloss to be specific. Since changing to Collinite (any one) I have had zero water spots and etching over the last 8-10 years and I do not need to run out and dry the vehicles after rain and the Sun coming out. I can also remove bird bombs when I get to them without being paranoid.

  5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  6. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    I’ve had no issues with WGDGPS on my black Acura TLX and my wife’s white X3. I am quick to remove them on my TLX since I drive it, my wife’s car I won’t see until the evenings on the following morning.

    Jay


    Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

  7. #6
    Super Member WEST SIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I have had etching with sealants. Zaino and Duragloss to be specific. Since changing to Collinite (any one) I have had zero water spots and etching over the last 8-10 years and I do not need to run out and dry the vehicles after rain and the Sun coming out. I can also remove bird bombs when I get to them without being paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I’ve had no issues with WGDGPS on my black Acura TLX and my wife’s white X3. I am quick to remove them on my TLX since I drive it, my wife’s car I won’t see until the evenings on the following morning.

    Jay


    Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

    I'm starting to think it's certain types of birds?
    I;m glad the chickens here don't fly,except when I use the paintball gun.

  8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  9. #7
    Super Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    8,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    I have had etching with sealants. Zaino and Duragloss to be specific. Since changing to Collinite (any one) I have had zero water spots and etching over the last 8-10 years and I do not need to run out and dry the vehicles after rain and the Sun coming out. I can also remove bird bombs when I get to them without being paranoid.
    Exactly my experience with Collinite. Especially 476S.

    I posted about the WGDG/Fuzion combo a couple of months ago. Nothing looked as good as these two on my metallic paint. But a small bird bomb (size of a nickel) that had dwelled less than 30 minutes ate right through them like nothing.

    I may take another members advice, and try the WG combo next spring, then top with 476S.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  10. #8
    Super Member Rsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,928
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Exactly my experience with Collinite. Especially 476S.

    I posted about the WGDG/Fuzion combo a couple of months ago. Nothing looked as good as these two on my metallic paint. But a small bird bomb (size of a nickel) that had dwelled less than 30 minutes ate right through them like nothing.

    I may take another members advice, and try the WG combo next spring, then top with 476S.
    IMO the potency of bird $hit (etching) depends highly on what the bird ate. Foods high in acid would be much worse than grass seeds.

  11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  12. #9
    Super Member PaulMys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    L.I. NY
    Posts
    8,026
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    IMO the potency of bird $hit (etching) depends highly on what the bird ate. Foods high in acid would be much worse than grass seeds.
    Of course this is true.

    But a bird could try a Chicago-style pizza over at DiMiglo's house, then fly over to UncleDavy's for some Boston baked beans, and never soil the 476.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

  13. Likes Rsurfer, davidc liked this post
  14. #10
    Super Member WEST SIDE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sealant for Bird bombs

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Of course this is true.

    But a bird could try a Chicago-style pizza over at DiMiglo's house, then fly over to UncleDavy's for some Boston baked beans, and never soil the 476.

    Well I don't think it's the rice they're eating here, so it must be the spam musubi or pork adobo.
    Too far to fly to Chicago or Boston!

  15. Likes Rsurfer, davidc liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bird bombs. Ceramic vs sealant/wax
    By Markymapo in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2019, 10:04 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 09:42 AM
  4. Talk about bird 'bombs'..
    By Marc Hufnagel in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-19-2014, 08:38 PM
  5. Carnauba: better protection from bird bombs?
    By klumzypinoy in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 63

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» March 2021

S M T W T F S
28 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31 123