autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating levelling - possible to remove too much?

I'm new to coatings, and the first one I'm trying is Cquartz Lite. I've noticed that in order to effectively "level" it, leaving no high spots, quite firm buffing is required. Is it possible to over buff, removing too much coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating levelling - possible to remove too much?

When I applied the Graphene Ceramic coating to my Ram and found high spots, I applied the liquid to the high spot. I waited the required time and buffed off

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about during the initial application?

I haven't used CQuartz Lite, but with similar products like Gyeon CanCoat, or really any coating, if it is hard to remove you're waiting too long to buff it out. Try applying it to a smaller area and don't let it sit as long.

The good news is, if you're having a hard time buffing it out, the solids in the coating have most likely started the bonding process and you aren't removing removing anything important. Someone here far more experienced than I am once mentioned the solids really start bonding as soon as the flashing starts and your only buffing off the remnants of the carrier agents and excess solids.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

How long are you waiting after spreading the coating before wiping the section treated?

How warm is it where you're working and is there much wind?

This is a SUPER easy coating to work with.

Post Thanks / Like

The directions say not to wait, so I'm not waiting. At all.
    It spreads very easily, but feels a bit tacky when buffing it off, and needs firm pressure.
    Temperature is ~20 - 25C.

Under my very bright, wide, even beamed head torch, yes - it looks "super easy" to work with.....because the high spots are totally INVISIBLE. (same applies to my Scangrip 1000R inspection torch, which is FANTASTIC at showing swirls).
    Get it outside, under a cloudy sky, and it's a total mess.
    I have solved the illumination problem - I inspect with my tablet computer, which I set to display pure white. I look at the REFLECTION of the screen against the paint, and this shows the high spots very well. (I got the idea to look at the reflection from Car Craft Detailing, here in Australia).

I can remove the high spots, and produce a very clear finish, but it's quite a lot of work. Any blemish at all, however slight, must be buffed off, because a cloudy sky will show it very easily.

Again - is it possible to "over" buff, removing too much product? That's my question.

Post Thanks / Like

As I mentioned before, no, I don't think it's possible to over buff. The fact it is already tacky and hard to buff means the solids are already bonding to the surface and you're not going to buff them off

Also, if you are removing the product right away and it's tacky, try reducing the size of the application area.

You've discovered the same thing I have regarding lighting. I too have found bright, direct lighting is terrible for applying a coating. Dim, highly diffused lighting seems to work far better when seeing the coating flash and hunting down high spots and smears.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent - thanks Desertnate. (Mike - do you agree?)
    If there was a fine balance, between removing high spots, and removing too much product, I may have decided it was all too hard, and not worth the trouble. Now that I can SEE the high spots in my garage, and have a sense for the amount of buffing required, it's actually not that hard. It's fascinating how the optical behaviour is so very different to conventional waxes & sealants, when applying.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate

The fact it is already tacky and hard to buff means the solids are already bonding to the surface and you're not going to buff them off

Also, if you are removing the product right away and it's tacky, try reducing the size of the application area.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Excellent - thanks Desertnate. (Mike - do you agree?)
    Yes. I agree with Nate.

Mike Phillips

And if this coating is becoming tacky so quickly?

How old is it?
    How warm or hot is it?
    What is humidity like?
    Is there wind or air current?

This product should not be flashing so quickly to the point that it's tacky because it's curing - so quickly unless there is another underlying factor causing an issue.

The entire idea behind a "lite" version is to make it super easy to use even for first timers.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe "tacky" is an exaggeration - not sure. If it's supposed to feel really thin and slick, like, for example, Reload, then no - it doesn't feel like that - there is some resistance against the cloth.
    Temperature in mid 20s deg C, unsure of humidity at the time, and no wind.
    Has a "2020” date stamp - no explicit expiry date - used shortly after purchasing.

Just as an aside, it's a shame it only has a 6 month shelf life after opening. Way too much product for me to use in that time. I'd like the option of purchasing a smaller bottle, and also the option of purchasing in a syringe, if that would extend shelf life. (I love how Optimum do it that way - why isn't that idea used by others?)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast