autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New product idea? Thick, temporary paint protection that is very easy to apply and remove

I've been interrupted during detailing - I was prepping the paint for a coating. So I now have a section of my car that is clean, and I want to protect it. I have an idea - it would be great if there was some type of thick gel stuff I could easily apply, that looks "reasonable", and is also very easy to remove, and leaves no residue.
    I am aware of stuff like this for transporting vehicles - I'd like something for the enthusiast, that can be applied at home.
    Does something like this exist?

Coming back down to earth - is Megs Synthetic X-Press Wax very easy to remove with IPA? I want to apply something that is very, very, easy to remove.

The car has to be driven, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New product idea? Thick, temporary paint protection that is very easy to apply and remove

Nothing wrong with leaving the paint unprotected until you coat it. The paint is not going to fall off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New product idea? Thick, temporary paint protection that is very easy to apply and remove

Your asking a lot, Skip..not that it doesn't exist, but wouldn't it be easier to protect it with a light spray sealant and re-polish when your ready to coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nothing wrong with leaving the paint unprotected until you coat it. The paint is not going to fall off.

I was going to suggest that Guz, but he might leave it uncoated for several weeks or even months during winter months.

5. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•Here are just a couple of temporary PPFs
    that are easy to apply and remove:

-Road Wrap Paint Protection Film
    -Track Armour

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Coming back down to earth - is Megs Synthetic X-Press Wax very easy to remove with IPA? I want to apply something that is very, very, easy to remove.
    I assume you don’t have coating prep polish and have used an IPA mix to remove polishing oils in preparation for the coating? If so, I would like to think that a few careful wipe downs of IPA would remove the D156, hopefully you could tell for sure by feeling the paint afterwards. The older the D156 application is, the more likely it will be removed by IPA.

If it’s going to be weeks or a month, maybe just apply an initial coat or two and don’t apply again. It usually lasts 2-3 weeks noticeably for me but I’m sure the remnants might stay on longer... which is where IPA comes in.

The aforementioned coating prep polish would likely remove D156 easily, if it were in your stock.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I've decided just to put nothing on it, and then just gently wash & IPA etc (it definitely won't be months - not that long).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    -Track Armour

Bob
    I've not had a good experience with Track Armour. I bought a roll for long road trips in our horribly bug infested warm seasons.

If your vehicle has lots of curved and angled surfaces, it is difficult/impossible to apply without having issues with air bubbles and creases/kinks. Also, if any little little edge doesn't stick perfectly, it will come loose and start flapping in the wind as you drive. After a 400+ mile drive to the in-laws, I had a loose end beat the hood of my car so badly it left marring I had to polish out with my DA.

The stuff might be good for short track excursions when you do a handful of 20-min stints, but for multi-hour road trips it isn't a great idea.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog