autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

T&C (also known as terms and conditions)

I've been in the detailing vehicles now for a few years. I don't consider myself a beginner, but I don't consider myself an expert (I always leave room for improvement). This summer I was detailing a either late 90s or early 2000 hyundai sonata (4 door sedan) both the exterior and interior. I always start with the exterior. I always use a pressure washer to pre-rinse the vehicle, my foam cannon when putting soap on the vehicle, and a rinse again at the end. My pressure washer is a Simpson (3000 psi purchased at Costco about 10 years ago). Long story short, the pressure washer took some paint off on the hood of the car and on the trunk part of the car. It's not like I had the pressure washer gun white tip inches away from these areas. I'm always 12 to 24 inches between the tip of the pressure washer gun and the vehicle. I normally charge $450 for a complete detail, but because of what happened, I only charged my family friend $100, which is a steal.

Needless to say, I'm just looking for some T&C's that I can copy, and have the customers sign a contract saying I'm not responsible when things like above happen.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: T&C (also known as terms and conditions)

Not the answer you were probably looking for, but for something like this I would definitely consult a lawyer ... just to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sothpaw73 View Post
    Needless to say, I'm just looking for
    some T&C's that I can copy, and have
    the customers sign a contract saying
    I'm not responsible when things like
    above happen.
    ^^^You have got to be kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by sothpaw73 View Post
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    •IMO:
    -You were responsible not only for the damages
    caused by the usage of that power washer, but
    for any other things that happen while any vehicle
    is in your care. (Paint assessment—prior to
    any detailing begins—is your friend.)

-You are not entitled to be “held harmless”.

-If you’re a Business owner/Businessman, you
    should be duly insured for such occurrences.

•As such:
    -I would never sign any such indemnity contract
    where you would be able to worm your way out
    of accepting full responsibility for damaging any
    of my vehicles, in any manner, whatsoever.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

4. Likes DUBL0WS6, luckydawg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob has a point, whenever I get to detail a car I always look for paint that is damaged.

I would be upset if someone messed up our car and didn’t take responsibility for it, I see Bobs point.

Maybe if you told me look sir, the paint can chip here so I’m telling you beforehand.
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Bob, as he makes some great points. Sounds like I need to be looking at a Coating Thickness Gauge machine. What do you guys recommend for the paint assessment tool? Bob, how much do you pay for this type of insurance? I only detail vehicles as a side hustle.

Thanks again for all your inputs, greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of vehicles had paint issues back in those years. I once removed the paint from the doorhandle of my car at a coin op. That being sia, if it's damaged while you are working on it, you are responsible. I agree that you need to carry insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

The most popular insurance for these types of businesses is called Garage Keeper’s Liability. Even if you own a mobile detailing business, this is the type of policy you want to have. You want to be covered while you are working on a vehicle and while the vehicle is in your possession. When getting a quote for a policy premium you also want to be sure you’re getting coverage for moving, picking up and delivering the vehicles you will be working on. Even if you’re opening a mobile detailing business, you still need coverage for moving the vehicle ... even if it’s from the garage to the driveway. You never know what could happen!

You also want to have your equipment insured against theft. Pressure washers, carpet extractors, vapor steamers, buffers, polishers, compressors and generators don’t come cheap, so it’s absolutely imperative to insure them too. Again, the insurance coverage for this type of equipment isn’t expensive, so have it included with your policy premium. Usually you’ll get a quote for a minimum of $100,000 of liability coverage, but you might consider a quote on $300,000, $500,000 and even a million dollar umbrella policy. Believe it or not, the premium cost doesn’t vary that much. Most garage keeper’s liability packages cover the vehicle you are working on against damage and theft, as well as coverage for your equipment and coverage for pick-up and delivery of any vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Yah, Bob has a point. But so does the flip side.

A 20 year old vehicle with paint problems. I wouldn't take responsibility for that unless I did something irresponsible. The paint at that point is probably UV compromised or has been repainted (which brings in a host of possible problems).

PDR guys, vinyl wrap guys and others don't take responsibility for existing paint problems. Why should detailers?

Like I said, if you messed up, own it. But if you were reasonably responsible and got burned by poor quality paint, why should you pay for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    ^^^You have got to be kidding!

•IMO:
    -You were responsible not only for the damages
    caused by the usage of that power washer, but
    for any other things that happen while any vehicle
    is in your care. (Paint assessment—prior to
    any detailing begins—is your friend.)

-You are not entitled to be “held harmless”.

-If you’re a Business owner/Businessman, you
    should be duly insured for such occurrences.

•As such:
    -I would never sign any such indemnity contract
    where you would be able to worm your way out
    of accepting full responsibility for damaging any
    of my vehicles, in any manner, whatsoever.

Bob
    Agreed. OP if you took your car to get serviced at a dealership and they asked you to sign away damage rights what would be your reaction.

Now i do believe in having a clause that could be caused if pointed out before performing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Yah, Bob has a point. But so does the flip side.

A 20 year old vehicle with paint problems. I wouldn't take responsibility for that unless I did something irresponsible. The paint at that point is probably UV compromised or has been repainted (which brings in a host of possible problems).

PDR guys, vinyl wrap guys and others don't take responsibility for existing paint problems. Why should detailers?

Like I said, if you messed up, own it. But if you were reasonably responsible and got burned by poor quality paint, why should you pay for it?
    If a PDR guy does not tell you before hand or does not have you sign something that does. If i cracks the paint because it was thin and he didnt disclose.... he’s gonna pay for it. He’s the one accepting money to do a job. You should be competent in your work and your tools.

30 year old paint 3000psi ......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast