autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you convince customers to do a late fall detail?

I often have people asking me if it’s worth having their vehicle buffed (all in one) when winter is right around the corner. They feel like it’s better to wait till spring.

I’ve never nailed down a good, convincing response for folks who ask me. I am trying to get some work scheduled, and am struggling lately.

So, how do you guys answer this customer question; “Is it worth the money to have it done now or should I wait till spring?”

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you convince customers to do a late fall detail?

There's a saying by Mike that asking a customer how they maintain their car on their own will tell you how ton proceed. If they feel it's a waste then you have a customer you may not want to have as it predicts how they will treat their car during the winter.
    When I was managing and detailing at a shop though, we would we explain the benefit of having paint protection through the winter is to continue protecting the paint up here in the northeast. We also offered a discount for winter work

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are in an area which has 4 seasons, I think the best thing to try to "sell" to customers in the fall is protection against the winter elements. But explain further that if they choose to go with a coating their vehicle may need some correction first.

Otherwise, recommend they have correction done in the spring ahead of application of their spring/summer LSP. Doing the correction in the spring then allows you to undo the aftermath of winter ... light scratching from snow scrapers, etc. etc.

5. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a hobbyist I definitely think of my personal work in the fall as protection for the winter and my spring cleaning as addressing any issues from the winter. I'd say that might be a pretty easy sell for most customers and I use the word customer as one you might get/want.

7. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

I agree with all the above - detailing before winter is for the primary purpose of protection.

Detailing after winter is about undoing any damage and restoring that crisp "just detailed look" for appearance reasons.

Kind of different here in South Florida as the winter's are like the summers - we just get rain. No snow so no road salt to worry about on the underneath of the car.

The Chemical Composition of Road Salt

9. Likes Eric7810, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your helpful responses!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Thank you all for your helpful responses!

Late response. (sorry Eric)

But where in the country do you reside? (Not in your info......hint, hint)

If in the snow belt or Northeast, I 100% agree with the winter protection angle of the "sell".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Late response. (sorry Eric)

But where in the country do you reside? (Not in your info......hint, hint)

If in the snow belt or Northeast, I 100% agree with the winter protection angle of the "sell".
    Well it doesn’t necessarily need to be the north, I’d say it could be most areas of the US except the south and Cali. I live in TN and we don’t have bad winters but with work, shorter days, and less favorable weather there are fewer opportunities to clean the car. So even in TN with a relatively mild winter, my car won’t get taken care of as well so protection still matters. My opinion anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    Well it doesn’t necessarily need to be the north, I’d say it could be most areas of the US except the south and Cali. I live in TN and we don’t have bad winters but with work, shorter days, and less favorable weather there are fewer opportunities to clean the car. So even in TN with a relatively mild winter, my car won’t get taken care of as well so protection still matters. My opinion anyway.
    Good points.

Post Thanks / Like

As Mike notes, it's about "protection" but here in Central Ohio we really don't get a deep bad winter much and if so it's only for a few days or weeks so overall their vehicle can look great still nearly year-round. The solice comes for them when I explain come spring it's as simple as a refresh via a wash and decontamination that's all they will really need. Unless they tunnel wash it in the winter or something the "detail" they pay for in the fall will still be there. I even offer to do the decon wash and refresh for them. Rarely if ever do I get taken up on that and it's a mild charge cost wise and small enough that I can do it in the evenings.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast