autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser. Spray paint removal

Paint reducer----get it from a body shop. Safer than thinner....

Slow to remove---Keep at it.

tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry that happened to your vehicle! Not very peaceful at all.

Post Thanks / Like

You mean you DONT want to drive around with "f*ck police" painted on the side of your car?! Good luck with the removal, I'd have lost my mind if that happened to any of my cars which is partially why I've avoided downtown Portland for several months!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshhas99problems View Post
    You mean you DONT want to drive around with "f*ck police" painted on the side of your car?! Good luck with the removal, I'd have lost my mind if that happened to any of my cars which is partially why I've avoided downtown Portland for several months!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Sorry that happened to your vehicle! Not very peaceful at all.
    You guys missed it. He bought it like that from an auction.

If you can get a perfectly good car with paint damage for totalled price it’s a steel. If it doesn’t come off you can always wrap it or plasti dip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    You guys missed it. He bought it like that from an auction.

If you can get a perfectly good car with paint damage for totalled price it’s a steel. If it doesn’t come off you can always wrap it or plasti dip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did miss that. I’m sorry for whoever used to own that car then. Or for the insurance company or whoever got dealt the worst from terrible behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser. It was vandalized by some peaceful protestors. I need to remove the spray paint graffiti. Spray paint has been on since July/August. I researched liquid carnuba. It slightly cut the spray paint, but requires way too much work. Paint has probably been sitting too long.
    Lacquer thinner should pull it off okay. Not knowing the history of the panels and work done, just do a small test spot first. If it's factory, you'll be fine.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

Keep us updated please.

I'm sure the methods and product you end up using will help others into the future.

Post Thanks / Like

the FJ Cruiser arrived late this afternoon. The big rig had to drop it about a mile from the house due to tight roads/turns. I had three people come up and ask me what happened to it as I was settling up with the delivery driver. It was out of gas, so I kept my fingers crossed on the drive up the hill. Got home and pulled out the Flex 3401 and some Lake Country Orange Pads, some Rupes Blue Pads and some Rupes Uno Pads. I pulled out my gallon jug of Optimum Compound, only to find that it was dried out! Thankfully there was only about 1/3 of the bottle left. I used the Rupes Blue Course for most of the truck. I started with the Orange pads with the Rupes Blue, it did a pretty good job of removing the paint, patience, patience, patience. Not super quick, but the paint did come off. Problem was that the Orange pads got clogged very quickly. I went through 14 pads. I switched over to a Rupes blue pad with the Rupes Blue Course chemical. It worked really well. As I loaded the pads with chemical, the paint came off pretty quickly, for a few minutes. As the chemical seeped into the pad, the cut slowed down. I was using four or five, grapes sized drops of chemical for each pad reload. I also used four Rupes Uno pads. They worked well, as did the Rupes Blue pads. The stiffer pads worked better than the Lake Country Orange pads. There were some thicker spray paint spots that just didn't want to come off. I pulled out some 2500 grit wet sanding paper. I lightly worked on the thicker spots with the wet sanding paper. It worked really well. I was concerned with taking off too much of the clear, so I tried to limit the wet sanding paper to the actual spray painted spots, the best that I could. I stared on the FJ Cruiser around 6 pm and finished up around 9:15 pm. I called it a day out of concern for my neighbors. The Flex isn't as quiet as the Rupes. I was already a bit embarrassed driving the truck into my neighborhood with the offensive language painted on the side. I spent another 30 minutes cleaning out the interior, lots of broken glass chips, dust and fast food wrapper shoved under the seats.......had a few raccoon footprints on the seats too. They must have come through the broken rear quarter glass......I also did a quick wipe down of the engine compartment, lots of Utah and Idaho dirt and dust........Somebody had some fun with this FJ Cruiser!

The paint on the truck is surprisingly smooth. I intend on doing a full detail once I get the windshield and rear quarter glass replaced, but when I washed it prior to starting on the spray paint, the hood and top felt as if they had been recently clayed. Keep in mind that this truck has been sitting outside at an auction lot in Utah since August. Lots of sun, heat and recently snow.

The Toyota has really nice silver paint, with a white top. It should look pretty nice when it is all polished out. I am really please with the progress so far. (although I am not looking forward to cleaning 14 pads tomorrow........) The panels where the paint was look great. I will need to follow up with some Rupers Yellow or White to get the full gloss. I will probably top it off with Some HD Speed or some Black Fire One Step.

The suggestions for the various liquids are greatly appreciated. The truck arrived after most local shops and stores were closed for the evening and I wanted to get the spray paint off asap. They probably would have cut the cleaning process down to 30 minutes. I will add some photos from tonight and add some better ones in the daylight tomorrow. All the best. Glad to see the Autogeek pre-Black Friday sale kicking off. I need some chemicals and want to finally pull the trigger on the 303 Graphene Spray.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some pictures

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-img_0249-jpg

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-img_0251-jpg

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-62761749303__d1b660a1-b5fb-43fc-a5a9-26a8d5031f0e-jpg

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-62761749303__d1b660a1-b5fb-43fc-a5a9-26a8d5031f0e-jpg

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-62761862109__c0fa8efb-51c7-4f0e-ad25-99e199342058-jpg

Riot, sorry protest, damaged fj cruiser.  Spray paint removal-img_0257-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

10. Likes Icarus, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, it’s impressive you removed that slop in a timely fashion and that the paint otherwise seems nice. No time to even let it sit out... drive it up the hill and get to work, lol.

I’m sure that vehicle (if it has a mind of its own) knows it is in very good hands!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast