autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stored a Nanoskin autoscrub pad for 1yr, had stuck to plastic bag...still OK to use?

Hi All!

Im getting ready for a winter prep on our XC90, we're going to get a few nice days in a row here in MA!

Usually what I do is wash the car down w/some of the purple power boat cleaner, foam/wash/etc so I can prep for Jescar Powerlock with Collinite 845 over it.

I usually clay the car as part of prep and used a Nanoskin (fine) 6 inch pad to do it by hand. I havent used the pad all spring/summer and had it stored in a plastic bag the whole time.

I had cleaned it before putting it away. When I went to get it today to get ready I saw a part of the face had gotten stuck to the inside of the bag.

It was pretty stuck on there but I was able to remove it. I

dont THINK that the surface of the pad was damaged...didnt seem to leave behind any black or surface residue.

Do you all think itll be OK to use still? Shouldnt damage the paint or anything should it? Surface looks OK, no mars on the "clay" surface from what I can see.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stored a Nanoskin autoscrub pad for 1yr, had stuck to plastic bag...still OK to use?

It may be OK if it didn't damage the surface, but I would be very careful in using it.

I had the same thing happen to mine when I tried out the same pad. It was only in the bag for a few months and stuck so bad it left a noticeable amount of the rubbing surface stuck to the inside of the bag. I tossed mine at that point and went back to traditional clay. I had other issues with it as well, so I wasn't heartbroken over getting rid of it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Re: Stored a Nanoskin autoscrub pad for 1yr, had stuck to plastic bag...still OK to use?

Just to comment,

When I travel to roadshow classes, sometimes I've stored them in large plastic bags.

I've had plastic stick to our pads, towels and mitts. Stick in like really bad.

We have a Heat Gun for various tasks and I used this to gently heat the rubber surface up and then painstakingly peel off the plastic.

Afterward, I inspect the rubber surface - looked good to me - so I continue to use them.

Now I don't store them in plastic bags.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the sponges and I just douse the rubber material with quick detailer before storing. I haven't had any sticking issues. Also i just store them in the original packaging.