autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Gloss Coat on Dark Truck - help for a beginner.

I am planning on applying Optimum Gloss Coat on a Magma Red (Root Beer) F150 and then topping it with Opti-Seal. I have watched quite a few videos on applying this product, but none of then show it being used on a really dark vehicle. Does anyone here foresee any problems or have any advice for me. I choose Optimum becuase it is supposed to be easy to apply and work with.

I am getting to be a pretty decent hobbyist detailer, or at least good enough to be happy with my results, and I am fairly picky. This truck gets dirty so easily though, and it can streak just from me thinking about waxing or coating it. Right now I have Jepsen PowerLock on it and topped with Collinite, but I am looking for something more durable. I am thinking about applying it out in the sun so I can see the high spots.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat on Dark Truck - help for a beginner.

The rag company has plenty of good videos on the application. It’s super easy.

Wouldn’t recommend to apply it in the sun as it’s best to have cool panels. It’s almost impossible to have high spots with gloss coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Gloss Coat on Dark Truck - help for a beginner.

Lighting when applying a coating is almost more important than technique...almost.

Dark and light paint colors both have their challenges when seeing the flashing of the coating and the lighting needs are a little different. I've found on dark, metallic, paint the best lighting is slightly dim and diffused. This allows you to see the surface of the clear coat better and not be dazzled by the metallic flake below it. If you do apply it outdoors, a cloudy, gloomy sort of day would be the best from a lighting perspective.

I've not used Optimum's coating, but from the others I've applied I'm not sure I'd want to do it outdoors. When working indoors, or at least in sheltered area you have a little more control over the lighting and climate conditions. A slight breeze or bright sun heating up the panels could cause the coating to flash so fast it would be hard to apply.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog