autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G9 vs G15

Post Thanks / Like

G9 vs G15

Hi everybody

I plan on buying one of these 2 next week here in AG but I really dont know which and I dont want to buy one and regret it. I know the G9 is more towards the enthusiasts and driveway hobbyist and the G21 is geared towards the professional but the G15 is that happy medium for like everybody. The G9 base cost here is 160 + 5" backing plate is 20 = 180 and the G15 is 240. So my question is does the additional 60 are worth it?
    Differences of G15 vs G9 that I can think of:
    1100 Watt motor vs 1000 Watt
    15mm throw vs 9mm throw
    3000-5300 vs 2000-6400 OPM
    variable trigger vs constant speed trigger

Obviously both can get the job done very effectively no doubt.
    1)If anybody is given both of these without knowing the difference could that person tell the difference or could that person achieve different results???
    2)Is one better than the other???
    3)Does the G15 removes much more paint than the G9 for having 6mm more of oscillation and 100W more or is this negligible?
    4)Can the G15 be used to apply waxes/sealants?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Re: G9 vs G15

Here's my simple take on this topic,

For the average person - get the short stroke polisher.

With a short stroke polisher - it's easier to maintain pad rotation because as you increase the orbit stroke length - the outer edge of a buffing pad begins to have leverage over the reciprocating components and we see this as pad stalling.

This is true when talking about short stroke vs long stroke for ANY brand of polisher.

Generally speaking, it's easier to become an expert and tackle a wide spectrum of body panel shapes with a short stroke free spinning random orbital polisher than with a longer stroke free spinning random orbital polisher.

3. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im evaluating also on getting something with a 3" as well so I can tackle hard to reach areas, bumpers and pillars

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    Im evaluating also on getting something with a 3" as well so I can tackle hard to reach areas, bumpers and pillars
    So if you want a random orbital for the average user, and you want to be able to use both 5" and 3" backing plates ...

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher

6. Likes luckydawg, gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a number of polishers from Porter Cable, Dewalt, Griot's, Flex, to Rupes.

I would get the G9 over the G15 as my first tool if I have to choose one. The learning curve is smaller on a short stroke machine. Dont get wrong ... both machines will get you there. Its a question of time. A long stroke machine will get more done within the same time period as a short stroke. As a hobbyist, we have nothing but time. lol

For only $60 more ,you can have the G9 and the 3" G8 (G8 also comes with a 2" backing late) for the price of the G15. These two tools will allow you to get to just about every panels on your vehicle. The G9 is no slouch when it comes to real world power. By switching out the 6" backing plate to a 5", pad stall will be very minimal as well as gaining more control over the tool.

8. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes gorillapr, Thomkirby, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    So if you want a random orbital for the average user, and you want to be able to use both 5" and 3" backing plates ...

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher
    I wasnt refering on the same polisher, I definitely wants 1 of the 2 previously mentioned, the 3" could be the G8 or something else in similar price range

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I have a number of polishers from Porter Cable, Dewalt, Griot's, Flex, to Rupes.

I would get the G9 over the G15 as my first tool if I have to choose one. The learning curve is smaller on a short stroke machine. Dont get wrong ... both machines will get you there. Its a question of time. A long stroke machine will get more done within the same time period as a short stroke. As a hobbyist, we have nothing but time. lol

For only $60 more ,you can have the G9 and the 3" G8 (G8 also comes with a 2" backing late) for the price of the G15. These two tools will allow you to get to just about every panels on your vehicle. The G9 is no slouch when it comes to real world power. By switching out the 6" backing plate to a 5", pad stall will be very minimal as well as gaining more control over the tool.
    Yeah definitely,
    G15 + G8 = 240 + 140 = 380
    G9 + G8 = 160 + 140 + 20 (5" backing plate) = 320

$60 its not a big deal...

So if I understood right you say the G15 has noticeable more power than the G9?

Obviously Im not saying the G9 is weak or anything just that the G15 is noticeable more powerful

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't say its more powerful. Its the action of the G15 that does more work. A 15mm throw does about 1.6 times more work per orbit due to the distance it travels.

12. Likes gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went for the G15 and have no regrets!

14. Likes gorillapr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went through the same things with the older models, g15 and gg6. Other than being a long throw their were alot more benefits. I have no regrets and found using it enjoyable and just watched a few video’s

The 15 will work faster too. That being said with the similarities between the two in design...... I would get the g15 if you have any big vehicles in your plans (trucks large SUV’s). If not i would get the g9. Definitely add a 3” to your arsenal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3