autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Prep Question for you all

Remember to do the baggie test to determine if you need to clay. If it passes, no need to clay. Sometimes you can get away a long time without needing to clay. It's not a mandatory thing by any means.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

2. Likes Chevyguy95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If you just clayed six months ago and the car hasn't seen much road time, then I'd say "no" to claying it again. My experience is a well protected car which has been kept clear really only needs to be clayed annually. Also, I only clay when I'm going to polish since there is always a opportunity for the clay to create some marring. After winter is done, you'll want/need to clay. Save that for the Spring.
    That's what I was thinking as well. I may check the condition of the paint with the ziploc bag test, however, I find it redundant to clay now and clay later. However, I'll check it anyway, and if it needs to be clayed, that is fine, but I just will save polishing for the spring. no point in doing twice. Do you have any recommendations for great decon spray and soap? thanks for your input thus far

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotten away without claying for a long time with doing a Valugard ABC three step wash. It sure saves having to polish and wear away your clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I've gotten away without claying for a long time with doing a Valugard ABC three step wash. It sure saves having to polish and wear away your clear.
    Bill, I will definitely perform the baggie test to check. Where can I find info on the Valugard process? I googled it and watched a video. If I'm looking into a decon spray/soap, what do you recommend? Carpro ironx soap and spray?

Post Thanks / Like

PA winters can be brutal. I have several coats of TWHS Spray coating on. Including the wheels. After each wash i boost that with their WET WAX. Been using this combo for some time with stellar results. I will do hand washes till the temps dip and can't do them anymore. Then when the temps moderate i will do a wash. Can't do much more in the winter. I will watch for sales and do my big spring order over the winter. This way i am ready to go when the nice weather hits.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy95 View Post
    Bill, I will definitely perform the baggie test to check. Where can I find info on the Valugard process? I googled it and watched a video. If I'm looking into a decon spray/soap, what do you recommend? Carpro ironx soap and spray?
    My understanding is there would be no need for a product like Iron X if you're doing an ABC wash because step A and B would be doing the same job as it. I have the gallons of A, B,and C and they last a long time especially if you're only using them on one vehicle once a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12